Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 08:23 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,268,999 times

Advertisements

I would never accuse a person especially a public figure of a crime 4 decades old if I have NO evidence and no witnesses to back the allegation. I would never put myself and family through that........

unless it's political and I'm taking one for the team knowing that the Democrat party will treat me like a hero and take care of me for life.

I can see Ford speaking at the Democratic National Convention in 2020 and get a standing ovation from the crowd as they did to Ted Kennedy many times.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:27 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,367,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
There's a consolation prize for liberals if Kavanaugh votes to overturn Roe v. Wade. The legal logic behind RvW was that people have a reasonable expectation of privacy WRT medical procedures.
No, it's not. That might be part of it, but it's not "the" logic.

12,390 posts, read 7,094,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
seriously this is huge, every witness she has named have all not corroborated her story

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018...naugh-or-ford/

https://twitter.com/KenGardner11

@KenGardner11
42m42 minutes ago
More
It is no longer she said-he said. It’s now she said-they said. She is going to have to explain how only she is telling the truth and the other four witnesses are lying. Good luck with that. (h/t @Marnes)

it's over. It's time to end this week long farce and confirm him now

This is turning into a serious blunder for the democrats, and they are doing this shortly before the election.

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Lmao, the Senate Judiciary Committee contacted another friend that was supposedly at the party and even she says she has no recollection of this incident taking place

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/09/22/p...mpression=true
Did FORD say her friend was a witness to the party?
Or is that something the guy working for Grassley came up with before he resigned?

Old 09-22-2018, 08:30 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Did FORD say her friend was a witness to the party?
Or is that something the guy working for Grassley came up with before he resigned?
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/22/polit...ion/index.html

"Simply put," Walsh said, "Ms. Keyser does not know Mr. Kavanaugh and she has no recollection of ever being at a party or gathering where he was present, with, or without, Dr. Ford."
The lawyer acknowledged to CNN that Keyser is a lifelong friend of Ford's.
Keyser is the latest person alleged to be at the party to say she has no recollection of it.
"I understand that you have been identified as an individual who was in attendance at a party that occurred circa 1982 described in a recent Washington Post article," a committee staffer wrote Keyser earlier this week."

It states she was identified as being at the party.

0-3 so far with witnesses.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
It is true that many victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, and rape do not come forward and if they do, not until many years after the fact.

That is truly unfortunate, on several levels.

However, the very nature of such offenses (that they are usually committed to secret and without witnesses) make it extremely important that victims come forward with allegations and whatever evidence they might have as soon as possible after the fact.

I am very sympathetic to actual victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, and rape.

But, I am also certain that our notions of due process, presumption of innocence, and requirement that accusations be proved beyond a reasonable doubt are the cornerstones on which our system of justice stands.

And our system of justice is a very good one, even if not perfect.

That sexual harassment, sexual assault, and rape are horrible offenses does not justify doing away with our notions of due process, presumption of innocence, and requirement that accusations be proved beyond a reasonable doubt.

I agree....but you have to agree innocent people get convicted all the time. False accusations happen also and they don't make it to trial.

this is a 2-way street......but this notion that all women that come forward are telling the truth and men by nature are guilty of sex offenses is dangerous and should be rejected.

Women lie as men......many times is not black and white.

The only problem I have with Ford is her timing and the people surrounding her are very political in the democrat party......on her allegations, it's a wash! no prosecutor or judge would let this get to court even in 1982 let alone put her on the stand with so many inconsistencies in her story and lack of evidence and so many "I don't remember" and no witness to back any of her story.

the timing and the circumstances how this went public is very political and so obvious.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:33 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post

But, I am also certain that our notions of due process, presumption of innocence, and requirement that accusations be proved beyond a reasonable doubt are the cornerstones on which our system of justice stands.

That's for convicting someone of a crime. Kavanaugh can be presumed innocent and not be convicted of a crime while still not getting a seat on the Supreme Court. The rule for the Supreme Court doesn't say that one must get the seat unless they are guilty of a crime.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:35 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,582,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
I agree....but you have to agree innocent people get convicted all the time. False accusations happen also and they don't make it to trial.
Yes, of course.

This is why I believe we should steadfastly hold onto our notions of presumption of innocence and require proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

There will always be people who make false and or mistaken accusations.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:37 PM

13,708 posts, read 7,987,762 times
Third Named Witness Rejects Kavanaugh’s Accuser’s Allegations
https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...s-allegations/

Old 09-22-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/22/polit...ion/index.html

"Simply put," Walsh said, "Ms. Keyser does not know Mr. Kavanaugh and she has no recollection of ever being at a party or gathering where he was present, with, or without, Dr. Ford."
The lawyer acknowledged to CNN that Keyser is a lifelong friend of Ford's.
Keyser is the latest person alleged to be at the party to say she has no recollection of it.
"I understand that you have been identified as an individual who was in attendance at a party that occurred circa 1982 described in a recent Washington Post article," a committee staffer wrote Keyser earlier this week."

It states she was identified as being at the party.

0-3 so far with witnesses.

so you have 3 people alleging Ford was at a "party" with them but the Judge wasn't at this party.

so Ford can't put Kavanaugh in the same house as her..........she has a problem......not only nobody can back up her allegations, she can't put Kavanaugh in the same party and house she was.....that's key!

might as well name Harrison Ford as her attacker......nobody can prove he was at the party and in the same house as Mrs. Ford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies