Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 10:53 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,761,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Fine, but what Ford described was not a sexual assault, it was physical assault. Laying on top of her and placing his hand on her mouth, that's not sexual. What Cory Booker admits to, repeatedly forcing his hand under the bra of a drunk teenage girl, that is sexual assault.
Where I'm from, when a man lies on top of a woman without invitation, holding her down and working at her clothes, maybe even covering her mouth to keep anyone from hearing her calls for help, she fearing she may be raped...

That's a little closer to most people's version of sexual assault than you seem willing to believe. Not sure what more needs to happen before we go from just physical assault to sexual assault, but I'm sure many women are not wanting to find out.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:53 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,707,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the reason feinstein waited is purely political. she wanted to derail the kavanaugh nomination by bringing a bogus allegation in at the last minute. like the rest of the democrats on the committee, she is a despicable political hack. i sincerely hope this backfires on her big time, including losing her seat to a republican, though being a california senator i dont see that happening.

This is a good point. I said it in another thread, I believe Ford. Ford told people in 2012 and she told Feinstein months ago when it was clear that Kavanaugh was the nominee. I can see why she waited. Seeing the man she sees as her attacker being nominated to the Supreme Court would be a trigger to come out. If Ford's attacker was just some regular Joe that disappeared into obscurity, she wouldn't be doing this. Who would want to put themselves in the middle ring of the pubic circus we call our government today?

I also think Kavanaugh should not be on the Supreme Court. There is doubt about his moral character and if nothing else, this hearing showed he doesn't have the temperament for it. But I don't think it was the right thing to do to put him on the spot like this, on the national stage.

But Feinstein is another issue. She should have disclosed this information earlier in the process, before it could be a public spectacle. The thing to do was to quietly inform the rest of the Committee (both Rs and Ds) that there was some serious dirt on the candidate and it would behoove Trump to go with one of his other picks. Waiting on her part was purely political and I think disgraceful.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:54 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,042,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Typical tactic
Smear the woman
So smear the accused. Totally fine, right?

1,718 posts, read 1,058,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Where's HER yearbook?
Don't worry. That and her online profile will reappear.

Give it time.

40,960 posts, read 49,272,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Provide a link to the story in the Wall Street Journal if this accusation is true. I can't find any such wsj story with this assertion.
A liberal lie. Graham and Coryn had had enough and wanted to take over the questioning.

4,865 posts, read 4,191,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
"The sex crimes prosecutor tasked with questioning Christine Blasey Ford during the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on Judge Brett Kavanaugh told Republican senators on Thursday that Ford’s claims and the lack of corroborative evidence were not strong enough to take the case to a courtroom.

Arizona prosecutor Rachel Mitchell spoke at a late-night Thursday meeting with the Republican caucus, where she briefed all 51 GOP members, according to The Washington Post. Based on the evidence presented during the hearing, Mitchell reportedly said that she would not have prosecuted Kavanaugh.

“Mitchell spelled it out and was clear with senators that she could not take this anywhere near a courtroom,”
Great. But not the standard for any hiring process.

13,898 posts, read 6,461,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Whatever you say.

This is going to cost GOP in the midterms whether or not this guy gets nominated.
lmao....That un-American fiasco the Dems pulled yesterday is going to haunt them for years to come at the ballot box.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:55 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,523,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
92 votes. For 49/fewer category---moving up but likely not the winning vote unless some GOP Senators get calls from their wives and daughters...
Collins will vote YES---
And face a huge war chest of that funding for someone to run against her....
Murkowski seems more on the fence
Flake flakes like he always does--another Rand Paul

Some of these senators are going to get backlash when they run--if they run
Hatch and Grassley better pack it up
They showed they have a difficult time even reading the material placed in front of them--dodos past their extinction date
Flake is also a yes. Even if Murkowski is a no, they've got it.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:55 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,319,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
lmao....That un-American fiasco the Dems pulled yesterday is going to haunt them for years to come at the ballot box.
No it's not, and that's the problem. They have darn near half of the vote locked up no matter what bull-crap they do.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:56 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,354,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Actually I thought she said "I was pushed from behind into the room" Then the door was locked behind her, the same door she quickly ran thru after escaping.....
Unless the bedroom door had a key that someone pocketed, she would have unlocked it. That she was aware it had been locked only meant she wouldn't have spent a couple of seconds futilely twisting the knob. Unlocking would take about 1 second.

The import of it being locked to begin with meant that it would be harder for someone else to walk and tell Kavanaugh / Judge to cut it out - which, in the times, probably would have been the response. No calls to the police.

Admittedly I only saw a few clips ... the ones right before her testimony where I saw a woman with sheer terror in her eyes and extreme nervousness.

The ones of Kavanaugh were where he was fencing with questioners (incl, Amy Klobuchar) where he came across as a total jerk, with an underlying aggressiveness - increasing Ford's believability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies