Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 12:28 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
No, what's really disrespectful is people who try to curtail the freedom of speech of others.
No, what's really disrespectful is you who doesn't understand property rights. Nothing to do with fredom of speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
What's also very bizarre is the way that so many people forget that kneeling is in fact a traditional sign of respect.
Says the person who doesn't understand what a right is.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:37 AM

3,614 posts, read 1,737,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Whoa. Hold up there, Bob. Kneeling before the Anthem is a peaceful protest of which Martin Luther King, Jr. would whole-heartedly approve. There is nothing violent about kneeling for the Anthem.
I doubt that King would approve.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:54 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I just finished posting in another thread that was discussing Trump, and the nfl players who kneel during the playing of the national anthem.

In that thread, a link was posted to an article written by Kareem JaBar.
We all know who he is.
This got me to thinking, and now it's time to vent.

I absolutely see it as a disgraceful, disrespectful action, when these highly paid athletes kneel when the national anthem is being played.

Any problems that blacks have in this country, is solely because rather than stand up for change, they sat on their dumb asses, and did nothing but complain.

When they should have been in direct communication with elected officials, who have the power, and resources to bring about change, they chose to march in the streets, where nothing get's accomplished.

Kareem is no better, except he wasn't out in the street marching.
This man has made million of dollars here in the United States, but still is pissin and moaning that blacks have nothing They have no "piece of the pie".

Why he has not used his money, and his notoriety to seek positive change, is beyond me.

One of the influential politicians in Washington(Maxine Waters) lives not far from him.
She is black, and pulls weight in the nation's capitol.
Why has he not taken it upon himself to talk with this woman in congress to seek change?
It all goes back to what I stated before, blacks expect whitey to do all the changing, and in fact they (blacks) require that.
This is why nothing get's done concerning blacks in this country.

Been to Detroit lately? I have not(thank God)
From what I see, and read, it is probably the most deplorable city in the country.
No one bothers to ask why, and this includes all races, and worst of all, all politicians.
Has everyone just given up and look at Detroit as a lost cause?
What ever the problems in Detroit, it should, and can be fixed, if people get involved.
When everyone sits back and ignores the problem, Detroit is the outcome.

Blacks in this country do not deserve anything more than the rest of the population, and the lesson they have not learned yet is, do it yourselves, of it isn't going to get done.
There are "ears" in Washington, and blacks need to take advantage of that.
Running wild in the streets, demanding change, is not going to do anything constructive for the blacks in this country.

Were I a black citizen of this country, the first thing I would do is to get contact information of every black politician in congress.
One way or the other(even if it took a computer in a local library) I would contact these reps, and arrange
to meet with them.
If I had to first approach local officials to raise money for my trip to the capitol, I would do that.
I would come prepared with enough information so these politicians could evaluate the situations.

At this point in this post some will state, many blacks are not educated, and could never do what you are suggesting.
This is more than likely the case, but that should not stop any black from going to people who do have a better education, and asking them to get involved.

That is the problem, no one wants to get involved.
They would rather sit home and do nothing, and expect it will happen.

Well, I have news for them, and anyone else that is depressed, and seeking change, and opportunity.

Get off your duff, or things will always be as they are now.

Protesting in the street, or on the football field is counter productive.
It will change nothing.
These people need, as I stated above, to get involved with people who are in a position to seek change.
What ever is causing blacks to demonstrate in the street, or kneel in disrespect to our country at a sporting event, should be telling the rest of us, something is wrong.

Many of us are disgusted at this blatant show of disrespect for our country, and that includes our President.
There are no easy answers, but that should not stop those who are in positions to do something about it.

To turn a blind eye as though nothing is happening is wrong.

Bob.

Take away from your long post: you want blacks to be hidden and quiet.

Please review American history: MLK, Civil Disobedience and freedom of speech. They got off their duffs and did things that brought about change.

FWIW, I don’t care if Trump is “disgusted”. He’s a five deferment draft dodger and he doesn’t care about the flag. I find him offensive and I have to put up with it.

You can do the same or not watch football.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:32 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,845,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Could be something like that.

I snipped the rest of your ranting post because you are trying to define what they intend to suit your need for outrage.

You WANT them to be accused of disrespecting the flag, so you can get on your own self-righteous high horse. What you don't want is to acknowledge the problems these people are pointing out, because it is like pointing out a pimple on the nation's nose and we can't have that.

Let's make America great, let's fix these problems the greatest nation on earth should not be sweeping under a rug decade after decade.

They are disrespecting America. Period.

Why don't you list the problems that "these people" are pointing out for me since I am so clueless iyo.

Let's see you define what you believe their problems are.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:49 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,634 times
Quote:
I just finished posting in another thread that was discussing Trump, and the nfl players who kneel during the playing of the national anthem.

In that thread, a link was posted to an article written by Kareem JaBar.
We all know who he is.
This got me to thinking, and now it's time to vent.

I absolutely see it as a disgraceful, disrespectful action, when these highly paid athletes kneel when the national anthem is being played.

Any problems that blacks have in this country, is solely because rather than stand up for change, they sat on their dumb asses, and did nothing but complain.

When they should have been in direct communication with elected officials, who have the power, and resources to bring about change, they chose to march in the streets, where nothing get's accomplished.

Kareem is no better, except he wasn't out in the street marching.
This man has made million of dollars here in the United States, but still is pissin and moaning that blacks have nothing They have no "piece of the pie".

Why he has not used his money, and his notoriety to seek positive change, is beyond me.

One of the influential politicians in Washington(Maxine Waters) lives not far from him.
She is black, and pulls weight in the nation's capitol.
Why has he not taken it upon himself to talk with this woman in congress to seek change?
It all goes back to what I stated before, blacks expect whitey to do all the changing, and in fact they (blacks) require that.
This is why nothing get's done concerning blacks in this country.

Been to Detroit lately? I have not(thank God)
From what I see, and read, it is probably the most deplorable city in the country.
No one bothers to ask why, and this includes all races, and worst of all, all politicians.
Has everyone just given up and look at Detroit as a lost cause?
What ever the problems in Detroit, it should, and can be fixed, if people get involved.
When everyone sits back and ignores the problem, Detroit is the outcome.

Blacks in this country do not deserve anything more than the rest of the population, and the lesson they have not learned yet is, do it yourselves, of it isn't going to get done.
There are "ears" in Washington, and blacks need to take advantage of that.
Running wild in the streets, demanding change, is not going to do anything constructive for the blacks in this country.

Were I a black citizen of this country, the first thing I would do is to get contact information of every black politician in congress.
One way or the other(even if it took a computer in a local library) I would contact these reps, and arrange
to meet with them.
If I had to first approach local officials to raise money for my trip to the capitol, I would do that.
I would come prepared with enough information so these politicians could evaluate the situations.

At this point in this post some will state, many blacks are not educated, and could never do what you are suggesting.
This is more than likely the case, but that should not stop any black from going to people who do have a better education, and asking them to get involved.

That is the problem, no one wants to get involved.
They would rather sit home and do nothing, and expect it will happen.

Well, I have news for them, and anyone else that is depressed, and seeking change, and opportunity.

Get off your duff, or things will always be as they are now.

Protesting in the street, or on the football field is counter productive.
It will change nothing.
These people need, as I stated above, to get involved with people who are in a position to seek change.
What ever is causing blacks to demonstrate in the street, or kneel in disrespect to our country at a sporting event, should be telling the rest of us, something is wrong.

Many of us are disgusted at this blatant show of disrespect for our country, and that includes our President.
There are no easy answers, but that should not stop those who are in positions to do something about it.

To turn a blind eye as though nothing is happening is wrong.

Bob.
You post your rant the same day a cop is finally convicted of killing a young man who was dong the RIGHT thing by leaving a party when trouble broke out. This is why we kneel.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/cour...jordan-edwards

Old 08-29-2018, 04:02 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Obviously it's a generational thing.
The poverty, lack of education, living in unsafe, and sometimes deplorable conditions, certainly not limited to public housing, is their way of life for many, but the point I am trying to make is, it does not have to be that way.

For anyone who has followed the black movement for equality, I can only recall one person who had an impact.
Martin Luther King had the right idea, and went about it the right way.
Sure, he marched in the streets,with the people who were also concerned about their well being in this country, but he did it in a peaceful manner., which is a far cry from the BLM movement of today.

Somehow the thought of militant behavior crept into the equation as the way to get things accomplished, and it is obvious that strategy has not, and will not work.
We do not have to go any further than antifa to see violence is not the way to proceed.

Does any one think for one minute, Martin Luther King would have dropped to one knee to disrespect the American flag?
Disrespect, whatever form it takes is NEVER the way to accomplish one's goals.
Mr. King knew that, but sadly that message has been lost over time.
There is an old saying that many should listen to, and heed it's message.
"You want respect, then earn it."

Mr King took his campaign for equality to many state houses through out the land, and more importantly, too the halls of congress.

When the civil right's act of 1964 became the law of the land, people celebrated in the streets.

The only reason that law was ever written was because a black person with a vision stood up(peacefully) and sought change.

Sadly, that was then, and things have not changed a whole lot for the better.
It has been said many times, that change only comes about when people get involved.
I am a great believer in that.
I believe Martin Luther King knew peaceful demonstration was the key, not disrespectful solidarity.

The black population living in depressed areas of this country need to know, nothing gets done by doing nothing.
Why is it the generations have not taught the message of Martin Luther King to their young?
It is as though he, and his message never existed.

Bob.

I know many blacks who are not living in poverty, who went to college, and obtained fine upstanding jobs, who made it happen....it's happening all over this country....sorry to say, but there are people from all walks of life who chose to live in poverty, who would rather take than give...and who believe crime pays, as well as having babies at 14 and 15 years old.

The thing that bothers me the most is the violence among them, that they actually believe hitting and fighting with each other is a way of life....

This has long been a subject that gets swept under the rug...MLK was a wonderful man who fought for the cause the right way....

We as parents pass down our thoughts and beliefs to our children...and that is where the answer lies, within the children....encouragement to obtain success no matter how difficult the road may be....

A 15 year old child, cannot raise a baby and expect that baby to grow up with worth and value as the mother doesn't yet mentally understand, what it takes to be successful....otherwise, she wouldn't have gotten herself in trouble.

I think change lies within the race itself....as well as education...and guidance from both parents...not one, but both...kids need dads....and when kids stop having babies, things will change...

and your right, nothing gets done by doing nothing....

Old 08-29-2018, 04:31 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
They are disrespecting America. Period.
You certainly have the right to feel that way. Period.
But I do not see kneeling as disrespectful. Period.
You alone do not get to define what is respectful or not. Period.
Or does putting "period" after your opinion make it fact? Period.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:57 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,835 times
If you don't want your employees to kneel during the anthem, don't own an NFL team. Don't like to see it, don't watch. It's that simple.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:15 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
I doubt that King would approve.
He wouldn`t approve of the riots in Ferguson Mo. but why wouldn`t he approve of non violent protesters?

Old 08-29-2018, 05:37 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,835 times
Want to disrespect our veterans, our democracy, and so many other things about America? Vote for the political party that the Kremlin wants you to vote for. So many of our vets died fighting the Kremlin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies