Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 07:25 AM

2,662 posts, read 1,378,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
They are basically kicking their fans, nation, and sport in the nads. Personally, I don't really care. They are overpaid for doing something that is really not all that important when you think about it. The garbage collector is more important to the functioning of society. I occasionally watch a baseball game. That's the extent of my sports experience. And hoisting the middle finger (that's what it boils down to) hasn't been an issue with MLB as of yet. If and when it is, well, there will be no more occasional baseball games in my life.
I keep hearing phrases like "well paid athlete" being thrown around by those criticizing the protesters. Is the amount they are paid even relevant? Why do some people seem to have an issue with someone who is well paid protesting injustices that they perceive to be being inflicted on others? I can't wrap my mind around that attitude.
What is the income cutoff in America for being able to protest perceived injustices against others?

Old 08-29-2018, 07:32 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,845,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I see. Period.
Just in case you are not around, am I allowed drink beer? Period.
Eat chocolate? Peroid.
When I want an opinion please do not hesitate to provide one for me. Period.
Holy crap.
Period.
Of course you can drink all the beer and eat all the chocolate you choose to. Who said anything about that?

Old 08-29-2018, 07:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
No, what's really disrespectful is people who try to curtail the freedom of speech of others.

What's also very bizarre is the way that so many people forget that kneeling is in fact a traditional sign of respect.
Time and place, time and place. Sporting events meet neither.

It's not like these over privileged over paid athletes can't get camera time pretty much whenever they want to make whatever statement they want. To expand on what the OP has said, these athletes could group together along with like thinking others to create one hell of a lobbying group, one with enough funds and voices to make one hell of a racket for change OUTSIDE of their jobs, in other words ON THEIR OWN TIME.

Why they don't is beyond me...

Old 08-29-2018, 07:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Bingo.

Many vets state clearly that they risked their lives and lost their buddies fighting for the right for those players to kneel.

We have far more dangerous-to-our-democracy issues than whether football players kneel or not.

Several come to mind, but no need to derail the thread.

So they have the RIGHT to, that doesn't mean it's RIGHT to. I've got the right to do a lot of things but that doesn't make it right to do them.

I've got the right to do what Westborough Baptist does by protesting in a vile way at military funerals but is that the right thing to do?

You've got the right to have a big poster with the "N" word in big block letters and walk through black neighborhoods, is it therefore "right" to do it?

Old 08-29-2018, 08:02 AM

23,986 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
I keep hearing phrases like "well paid athlete" being thrown around by those criticizing the protesters. Is the amount they are paid even relevant? Why do some people seem to have an issue with someone who is well paid protesting injustices that they perceive to be being inflicted on others? I can't wrap my mind around that attitude.
What is the income cutoff in America for being able to protest perceived injustices against others?
And how did it come to this?

The American public likes competitive anything. These professional athletes, any kind, have been revered since 6th grade if they were good at a sport. The American public funded through taxes and bonds, their education and training. We have built sports stadiums with bond money paid by hotel and car taxes. In my town, if those taxes don't throw off enough money to pay the interest on the bonds, the county takes what they need from the toll road fees. Don't get me started on the owners. Talk about subsidizing rich guys.

Our culture created this institution. Now some of the idols, instead of bowing to us for their pay, are biting us in the arse.

Put a white car and a black car on the road. Tell the white car it can go 65 MPH, the black, 40MPH. Comes 1964 and you tell the black car it can go 65, too. Will it ever catch up?

My momma saw people lynched. I had to pay poll tax. My kids drank from colored water fountains. Instead getting into a pissing contest about trivial stuff, figure out how to make us all better citizens.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:15 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I see, so no one knows who Kareem JaBar is.
airline pilot and part-time child intimidator

Old 08-29-2018, 08:44 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
They are basically kicking their fans, nation, and sport in the nads. Personally, I don't really care. They are overpaid for doing something that is really not all that important when you think about it. The garbage collector is more important to the functioning of society. I occasionally watch a baseball game. That's the extent of my sports experience. And hoisting the middle finger (that's what it boils down to) hasn't been an issue with MLB as of yet. If and when it is, well, there will be no more occasional baseball games in my life.
It's a good point and it shows how skillful Trump is in manipulating the public and the media. He blows this up to make it seem like this "issue" really matters. The same way he made some people think that building a wall between the US and Mexico actually matters. Just a cheap trick to wind up his base and get them to post rants like the OP.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:52 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So they have the RIGHT to, that doesn't mean it's RIGHT to. I've got the right to do a lot of things but that doesn't make it right to do them.

I've got the right to do what Westborough Baptist does by protesting in a vile way at military funerals but is that the right thing to do?

You've got the right to have a big poster with the "N" word in big block letters and walk through black neighborhoods, is it therefore "right" to do it?
The point that I was trying to make was very simple.
The correct way to exersise one's rights is not ridgid. You know your correct way and I know mine, and they are likely to be different from time to time. I am totally cool with that, but it appears several involved in this thread are not. I just heard the " because I said so" defense. My sneaky mom used to use that one on me. When I was six years old or so. I can remember clearly ...
A six year old me - "Mom, I want a mini bike.'
My mom - "No."
Me - " Why not?"
Mom - " Because I said so."
Me, to myself - "Damn she's good."
You clearly offered a reasoning for your opinion. I still disagree but can appriciate anything other than
" my opinion is fact, end of discussion".

Old 08-29-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

We are comparing Westboro Baptist shenanigans with people kneeling to protest civil rights violations during the playing of the anthem...in a country with a horrid tradition of racial injustice. The abolitionists used to fly the flag upside down...should they have found a different way to protest.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
If I employed them, they would be fired.
If we are in the business of firing those who disagree with us...tgen I would fire anyone who interfered with their right to protest...you know, one of the major things the anthem symbolizes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies