Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 08:54 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJ9HrZq7Ro

"Once ze rockets are up, who cares where zey come down? That's not my department!" says Werner von Braun.
"As long as it's somewhere over London!"

If we are being historically accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 08:54 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
What bothers me is they’re making a movie based upon a historical event and they intentionally chose to leave out the American flag. The astronauts were USA military pilots who went to the moon in a race between USA & USSR. Those are historical facts. Why not rewrite the movie so the first person on the moon is a transgender transsexual multiracial Muslim person

Old 08-31-2018, 08:59 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Wait, what?

People are debating the omission of the flag planting but NOT debating Neil Armstrong being portrayed by a...Canadian?????

Seems a lost opportunity for some real good faux outrage right there.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:05 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
It's about the first man on the moon, not the first flag on the moon.

Who cares about the flag scene? Anyone who is familiar with the first moon landing knows it was planted.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:08 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,039,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Does Hollywood have the ability to tell a story the way it happened without an agenda these days? I guess we will find out soon with this Ryan Gosling starred production.

Word is, they decided to not do a planting of the American flag scene because the movie producers have decided it was a human achievement more than an American one....even though it was our science and our money and our astronauts LOL.

So maybe that answers the question already. I can hardly wait to see the diverse mission control they will portray...or will they just cut those scenes out because it was 99% white males who ran this show.

https://www.maxim.com/entertainment/...rst-man-2018-8
I still wonder about the perfect breeze in the moon.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:08 AM

34,238 posts, read 18,599,254 times
The U.S. Space program was obviously an American endeavor that used whatever resources, technology, and personnel that it could to get the job done. There is nothing wrong with that. All countries, corporations, and people do the exact same thing.

Omitting the American flag purposely is just another way for Hollywood to display their anti American bias. I wouldn't be surprised if they switched flags to the Rainbow Flag being erected on the Moon. That is what they have become.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:16 AM

19,815 posts, read 9,381,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
At the time, given American society sexism, racism, separation of races etc. You're really arguing that the US space program wasn't 99% white male? Ok, maybe it was 97.5% white male but whatever the number was it's going to be very very large when you're talking about any of the technical roles.

That being said, it's not a condemnation of ability or aptitude but that of opportunity.

One of the CORE themes of the movie you cited was that of lack of opportunity due to gender\race and of being an extreme minority out of a large group of white guys. (Her having to go for long hikes to the bathroom, the other mathroom being all white males, the gal that had to fight to get into engineering classes etc.)
Excellent point.

I would have no problem at all with what you posted being some kind of subplot in ANY movie about life in the U.S. prior to 1970 or so, but what I object to is when 'Hollywood' actually lies about or misrepresents historical facts or even general history. That angers me.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:33 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Does Hollywood have the ability to tell a story the way it happened without an agenda these days? I guess we will find out soon with this Ryan Gosling starred production.

Word is, they decided to not do a planting of the American flag scene because the movie producers have decided it was a human achievement more than an American one....even though it was our science and our money and our astronauts LOL.

So maybe that answers the question already. I can hardly wait to see the diverse mission control they will portray...or will they just cut those scenes out because it was 99% white males who ran this show.

https://www.maxim.com/entertainment/...rst-man-2018-8
I won’t watch it. I saw it on TV live.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:48 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,144,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
It was an American achievement. Not a Chinese, or Egyptian or Italian, or an Icelandic feat. It was an American achievement. Our flag belongs in any movie discussing the first man on the moon. It was a big deal.

As much as some might want to include the cubans, or Brazilians, or the polar bears, they had not a thing to do with it.
They should make a big deal out of planting the flag. The flag of the nation that achieved such a great thing.
Welcome to the machine, globalism. It is all about marketing in a global economy. The ability to sell this movie across the globe. Make no mistake, all Hollywood movies are adjusted for gender, race and nationality in order to sell movies. If the American flag offends the Chinese, don't make the scene, or edit it out. BS for sure, but politically correct in movies translates into mega bucks world wide.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:49 AM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Similar to the other thread about this...

If you want a truly historically accurate movie, they'd need to show the American flag falling over into the lunar dust when the lunar module ascended. How'd you like to see that in your movie?
I wasn't going to mention that, the poor dears are too triggered as is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies