Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2018, 02:04 PM

8,494 posts, read 6,902,842 times

Advertisements

That moon landing certainly fired the imagination of people all over the world. Back in the day I was posted at the American Embassy in Singapore. I had night duty and was the only person in the entire embassy. In the middle of the night the switchboard which was part of my job to answer was bombarded with locals just calling in with congratulations. In the midst of all the controversy over Vietnam that was something of a bright spot for American prestige abroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 02:08 PM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
But it happened.
Who the eff has claimed otherwise? We're discussing the editorial choice of whether to involve that specific event in a biopic, remember?

Old 09-01-2018, 02:45 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Who the eff has claimed otherwise? We're discussing the editorial choice of whether to involve that specific event in a biopic, remember?
Don't commit a micro-aggression now. That's against your own rules.

It's one of the most iconic pictures from the 20th century...if not the most iconic.

Congress passed a law which was subsequently signed by Nixon specifically outlining that the American flag, and only the American flag, should be planted on missions in which the U.S. was the sole funding nation.

Three months prior to the mission NASA specifically concentrated on designing and making a flag & pole to withstand the trip and survive the lunar surface.

The generic plaque, which you posted earlier, was the compromise for all nations.

Afterthought? Uh, no.

This is what gets you SJWs in trouble: the efforts to which you'll go to deny, deflect, and alter factual events in the pursuit of a "universally-fair outcome".

I'm a freaking anarchist and don't even care about the flag. I don't worship it. Don't fly it. Don't care to even light it on fire because it means nothing to me.

But the inability to recognize the most basic truisms does you no favors. Historically I've generally disliked Statist liberals more than Statist cons. Lately I've been really bashing cons on their nonsense but things like this gets me right back to why I consider libs completely insane.

Old 09-01-2018, 03:12 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Dude, you need to compare notes with the other posters who are planning to boycott, because I suspect they won't take kindly to bing called cultural marxist sjws etc. etc.

Incidentally, Dunkirk was massive criticized by the right-wingers who expected an easy-to-digest battle between Good and Evil and instead got to see young scared men being chewed up by war, which is of course much closer to the truth.
What right wingers were criticizing Dunkirk?? Or are you lying?

Old 09-01-2018, 06:02 PM

8,051 posts, read 10,644,292 times
I was 8 years old, my little brother 6, my Mom expecting another baby in a month. We were out for the summer from school. It was early on that July morning, but the day was already warming up outside in our bedroom community in Maryland, just outside of Washington, D.C. Mom woke us up gently, and told us to come downstairs to our wood-paneled, avocado green carpeted late 1960's built suburban home "family room". The black and white television was on. Something special was in the air.....

I am now 57. My little brother, then 6, is now gone, cancer claiming him in his 40's. That baby that was on the way? My youngest brother, named Neil, after that man who made history that morning.

If anyone thinks this was not about America, and pure American pride, you just don't get it. You probably weren't there.

What a slap in the face to Americans that our flag being planted was omitted from this movie. Way to ruin a movie that was probably promising, all over disgusting liberal "feelings" that there is something wrong with being proud of our country. Without American pride, this mission to the moon, and the costs and scientific research that were involved, would never have happened, and no would know who the heck Neil Armstrong was in the first place.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:07 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,607,603 times

Old 09-01-2018, 06:26 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Lol. Exactly. ^

Old 09-01-2018, 07:06 PM

8,051 posts, read 10,644,292 times
Jimbo302:

Thank you for that post. It truly says it all. It's kind of like what is the purpose of Christmas without Christ in it (?). But that's another loaded subject, and I won't go there right now.

I like Ryan Gosling, I think he is gifted, and I am sure he gives a decent performance and is mystified about what all the fuss is about.

That would be because he did not exist during the actual event, and probably that applies to many involved with this movie project, who have missed so glaringly what mattered most about it.

The saddest thing is, this movie could have been successful if it was allowed to just be truthful and honor the times in which the moon landing happened. I, and perhaps others of my generation, will not invest a dime in it as it stands. I know the reviews will be "stellar". but I no longer pay attention to preliminary movie "reviews" (kind of like political "polls").

I hope it sinks like a lead balloon, and I hate that because it could have been an uplifting event and opportunity, and as I stated, I have a beloved family member named after Neil, so I'm mystified why love for country is so vilified by the film makers. I don't buy the excuses. It's just plain wrong and a slap in the face to those of us in the "Jones Generation", the latter years of the so-called Baby Boom, for whom the moon landing holds a spot etched upon our childhood, and our pride as Americans. yes, you heard me, PRIDE AS AMERICANS.

Old 09-01-2018, 07:29 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
PRIDE AS AMERICANS.
Racist!

Old 09-02-2018, 06:02 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,902,291 times
The film director put out a statement why he decided to leave the flag planting out. I thought it was fairly reasonable.

If people are going to form such strong opinions, then at least know why he did it. Both of Armstrongs children defend the movie and the director.

If it was my movie, I would have shown the planting of the flag, but its not. To say the movie is anti-American is probably ridiculous. They do show the US flag being motionless on the moon, and the US flag is seen many times throughout the movie.

Anyway, I plan on watching the movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies