Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2018, 09:51 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Were our Apollo missions a concentrated effort by all nations to go to the moon? Did everyone chip in to p[ay for it?

When we went looking for the right stuff to fly those missions, to man up those rockets, how many were from Iceland, Scandinavia, Italy, Greece, or any other country?

You can attempt to revise history by making it sound as if it was a collective effort by all man kind, but the reality is that it was an American effort.

It isn't diminishing America by leaving the flag out, but lying about it doesn't make mankind bigger either.

It wasn't a world effort or achievement, it was an American achievement.

Is perspective another way to say lie, but make it sound nicer?

Fact: The lunar missions were 100% American paid for, manned and executed by Americans.

Fact: The it wasn't the flag of the UN planted on the moon, is was the American flag.

Why not and call it about perspective, why not make the movie about Swedes going to the moon first? LMAO

Or maybe make it about Palestinians traveling to the moon in the name of all humanity for peace? Hey it's all about perspective right?
I thought you'd declared victory already? ETA: Sorry, that was WaldoKitty. Retracted.

If the concept of America's achievement being depicted as one of mankind as well sticks in your craw, don't watch the movie. Still doesn't make it a lie. (Unless you want to argue that 1960s America wasn't representative of humanity?) Seems to me that the idea of Americans being the vanguard of mankind on this occasion would be a point of pride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 11:31 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I thought you'd declared victory already? ETA: Sorry, that was WaldoKitty. Retracted.

If the concept of America's achievement being depicted as one of mankind as well sticks in your craw, don't watch the movie. Still doesn't make it a lie. (Unless you want to argue that 1960s America wasn't representative of humanity?) Seems to me that the idea of Americans being the vanguard of mankind on this occasion would be a point of pride.
The sticking point is the revisionist history. The representation of it being a global or all of man effort.
Buss Aldrin who was actually the second man to walk on the moon seems to agree with what many of us feel. It was an American achievement and not what you and other revisionists are portraying.

Humanity as a whole didn't put men on the moon . The United States of America did and we didn't do it for all of humanity.

I don't care that they have an Aussie playing lead. I care that they left the planting of the flag out by intent. As if that flag would make the movie offensive.

But hey if you want to pretend everybody as in every nation was involved fine, but isn't that like saying you are part of the winning team simply because they like you are also humans.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:30 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The sticking point is the revisionist history. The representation of it being a global or all of man effort.
Buss Aldrin who was actually the second man to walk on the moon seems to agree with what many of us feel. It was an American achievement and not what you and other revisionists are portraying.

Humanity as a whole didn't put men on the moon . The United States of America did and we didn't do it for all of humanity.

I don't care that they have an Aussie playing lead. I care that they left the planting of the flag out by intent. As if that flag would make the movie offensive.

But hey if you want to pretend everybody as in every nation was involved fine, but isn't that like saying you are part of the winning team simply because they like you are also humans.
Ryan Gosling is Canadian, not Australian. And the U.S. flag is shown standing on the lunar surface. They just didn't show the actual planting. Do Trump supporters spend every waking moment trying to think of something to get indignant about?

Old 09-04-2018, 09:01 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
I cant understand why this is such a big deal. The movie isnt anti-American, but they werent going for a big patriotic movie either. The US flag is represented everywhere, from the US space suits, to flags on NASA grounds, to showing the US flag motionless on the moon. Everyone understands it was an American acheivement, but that doesnt mean we didnt do it for all humanity. It can be both. If one reads the NASA mission statement, listens to Armstrongs words, reads the plaque left on the moon, of course this was done for all humanity, but as Kennedy said, it was an American acheivement. The movie shows both sides fine. To be upset and call the movie unpatriotic for not showing the physical planting of the flag is ridiculous imo. Its like watching the movie Iwo Jima and being upset that they didnt show the US flag being planted. Thats not the perspective of either film. First Man is from the perspective of Neil Armstrong, and he himself said the flag planting wasnt important to himself. His literal words when they changed from the UN flag to the US flag were, "I'll leave it to other minds to decide which flag to plant." He never made any statement on it in private or public. The film director said that was a big reason they left out that scene. The directors public statement on why they left out the planting of the flag is reasonable.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:29 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Let's see. What have the leftists said about going to the Moon?
  • 1968 - "Whitey On The Moon" - America's priorities are completely wrong.
  • 2018 - America didn't have anything to do with it. - Globalist thing.
50 years of derangement. It has to be seen to be believed.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
  • 1968 - "Whitey On The Moon" - America's priorities are completely wrong.
  • 2018 - America didn't have anything to do with it. - Globalist thing.
50 years of derangement. It has to be seen to be believed.
Not one person has said America didn't have anything to do with it. The voices aren't real, Waldo.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:51 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Not one person has said America didn't have anything to do with it. The voices aren't real, Waldo.
You would be wrong, yet again.

Gosling said it was his view that Armstrong’s moon walk, “transcended countries and borders,” “I think this was widely regarded in the end as a human achievement [and] that’s how we chose to view it,” “So I don’t think that Neil viewed himself as an American hero.

Doesn't get any more clear than that.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:53 AM

352 posts, read 518,631 times
The same people that complain about people being offended by everything, sure do spend a lot of time being offended.

Why do we get so upset about every little thing....geez.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
You would be wrong, yet again.

Gosling said it was his view that Armstrong’s moon walk, “transcended countries and borders,” “I think this was widely regarded in the end as a human achievement [and] that’s how we chose to view it,” “So I don’t think that Neil viewed himself as an American hero.

Doesn't get any more clear than that.
Has anyone looked into using offended US hyperpatriots for meteorite shields? Absolutely nothing penetrates.

"transcended countries and borders" doesn't translate to "America had nothing to do with it". The things you guys do to keep outraged...

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 09-04-2018 at 10:25 AM..

Old 09-04-2018, 10:07 AM

41,956 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Ryan Gosling is Canadian, not Australian. And the U.S. flag is shown standing on the lunar surface. They just didn't show the actual planting. Do Trump supporters spend every waking moment trying to think of something to get indignant about?
You forgot one correction (I know, it's hard to keep up with the knee-jerk misinformation in this thread): Aldrin's name is Buzz, not Buss.

Quote:
Who are these "leftists", and where/when did they say these things?

Quote:
Gosling said it was his
"His" is the operative word here.

Quote:
view that Armstrong’s moon walk “transcended countries and borders,”
Did it not? Were U.S. citizens the only ones to read about and watch the moon walk?

Quote:
“I think ... "
Another operative phrase.

Quote:
" ... this was widely regarded in the end as a human achievement [and] that’s how we chose to view it,”
Chose. Another operative word.

Quote:
“So I don’t think that Neil viewed himself as an American hero.
Gosling "thinks" exactly how Armstrong lived out the rest of his life.

Sorry that doesn't mesh with the brain-dead, lockstep, fist-pumping "'murica" narrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies