Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 03:29 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Bit of an indirect influence on Apollo, wouldn't you say?

No. He invented the liquid fueled rocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 03:37 PM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
No. He invented the liquid fueled rocket.
Ehm - I am aware of who Goddard was. He died in 1945. I stand by "indirect".

Old 09-04-2018, 03:41 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Also I think the flag was blown over when the lander launched.
Correct.

But the lander is still on the moon. It was the ascent module that did it.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:49 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times
Quote:
Ehm - I am aware of who Goddard was. He died in 1945. I stand by "indirect".
Not indirect at all.
At the time, Germany was highly interested in American physicist Robert H. Goddard's research. Before 1939, German scientists occasionally contacted Goddard directly with technical questions. Wernher von Braun used Goddard's plans from various journals and incorporated them into the building of the Aggregat (A) series of rockets. The A-4 rocket would become well known as the V-2.[30] In 1963, von Braun reflected on the history of rocketry, and said of Goddard's work: "His rockets ... may have been rather crude by present-day standards, but they blazed the trail and incorporated many features used in our most modern rockets and space vehicles."
Goddard's designs were in every rocket used to get to the moon.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Incorrect.
Buzz Aldrin (you like him, right?) reported he saw it topple, subsequent missions made sure to plant the flag at least 100 feet from the LM and the LRO has observed shadows of flags on all lunar landing sites except Tranquility. And you're arguing that other people aren't sticking with facts?

Old 09-04-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Not indirect at all.
At the time, Germany was highly interested in American physicist Robert H. Goddard's research. Before 1939, German scientists occasionally contacted Goddard directly with technical questions. Wernher von Braun used Goddard's plans from various journals and incorporated them into the building of the Aggregat (A) series of rockets. The A-4 rocket would become well known as the V-2.[30] In 1963, von Braun reflected on the history of rocketry, and said of Goddard's work: "His rockets ... may have been rather crude by present-day standards, but they blazed the trail and incorporated many features used in our most modern rockets and space vehicles."
Goddard's designs were in every rocket used to get to the moon.
The Wright brothers' contribution to Concorde was rather indirect as well. I mean, come on.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:22 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
As someone else stated, “I think people are romanticizing the footage and forget what it actually looked like. No doubt it was an epic moment in the history of mankind and exciting to witness, but it wasn't like Armstrong marched out of the lander and valiantly planted it in the ground. The actual moment is a few minutes of Aldrin and Armstrong struggling to get it put together and awkwardly attempting about a dozen times to get it to actually stick in the ground, even almost dropping it at one point. It really isn't the most cinematic thing to portray in a film. Maybe the director decided it was better to show the flag in the ground than the repeated clumsy attempts at it that could come across as comical and ruin the tone the movie is meant to convey.”
Any biopic involving Armstrong with an emphasis on the moon landing that doesn't include a depiction of this iconic photo is an intentional slight.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...1002775585.jpg

As I told Dane, it's no skin off my nose. I don't worship it. I don't care about it. I'm not a statist.

But it happened and to deny the cultural impact of that photo is clearly a political stunt.

Do me a favor: you and your fellow Statist peers on the Right should Google "Iconic American photos" and then click on images. It will be there...along with the black power salute from the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City by athletes wearing USA uniforms. Scroll thru those pics and you'll see snapshots that encapsulate a time/event by image alone.

You can't tell the story of the moon landing without that pic. You can't tell the story of the 1968 Olympics without that black power salute pic.

Deal with it. And the cons can deal with the pics that don't fit their narrative too.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Any biopic involving Armstrong with an emphasis on the moon landing that doesn't include a depiction of this iconic photo is an intentional slight.
That's Buzz Aldrin.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:34 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
That's Buzz Aldrin.
Yep.

And what does that tell you?

(I'm in teaching mode today )

Old 09-04-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Yep.

And what does that tell you?

(I'm in teaching mode today )
Funny, I'm in a "don't feel like dealing with smug pseudointellectuals" mode today. So is there any chance you could impart your lesson to a different audience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies