Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2018, 02:18 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
You can only backpedal something you didn't do in the first place. If they have the call to Nixon in the film coinciding with the planting of the flag, some more people will get upset.

They also left out the part where Buzz Aldrin took communion before stepping foot on the moon. The movie isn't about history or the historic event. It's about Hollywood pushing its leftist agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 03:07 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That's the flag decal attached to the LM, FWIW. You should have posted the entire frame.
Regardless, it never happened, right?

Old 08-31-2018, 04:02 PM

1,991 posts, read 901,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
They also left out the part where Buzz Aldrin took communion before stepping foot on the moon. The movie isn't about history or the historic event. It's about Hollywood pushing its leftist agenda.
A private moment by Aldrin only known many years after the fact.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:17 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
WOW -- a movie none of you have seen has triggered those on the left and right.......

I'll wait to see if it is a noticeable omission or if the movie flows along without that flag planting.
Same here. Not a day goes by that doesn't have someone outraged. A lot of the people saying they won't see it are the same people that say they haven't seen a movie since John Wayne was a leading man, so no loss. For Trump supporters screaming about a "leftist agenda", exactly what agenda would that be? Space travel? Doesn't the man they worship have visions of a space force with Will Smith putting computer viruses in foreign spacecraft?

Old 08-31-2018, 04:31 PM

15,535 posts, read 10,512,774 times
"Chuck Yeager weighs in on 'First Man' flap: 'That's not the Neil Armstrong I knew'." Hollywierd messes up everything.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:06 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Mr. Armstrong’s sons weigh in:

“Although Neil didn’t see himself that way, he was an American hero. He was also an engineer and a pilot, a father and a friend, a man who suffered privately through great tragedies with incredible grace. This is why, though there are numerous shots of the American flag on the moon, the filmmakers chose to focus on Neil looking back at the earth, his walk to Little West Crater, his unique, personal experience of completing this journey, a journey that has seen so many incredible highs and devastating lows.

In short, we do not feel this movie is anti-American in the slightest. Quite the opposite. But don’t take our word for it. We’d encourage everyone to go see this remarkable film and see for themselves.â€

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...erican-1139081

Old 08-31-2018, 06:16 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,146,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Does Hollywood have the ability to tell a story the way it happened without an agenda these days? I guess we will find out soon with this Ryan Gosling starred production.

Word is, they decided to not do a planting of the American flag scene because the movie producers have decided it was a human achievement more than an American one....even though it was our science and our money and our astronauts LOL.

So maybe that answers the question already. I can hardly wait to see the diverse mission control they will portray...or will they just cut those scenes out because it was 99% white males who ran this show.
You do realize it's not a documentary, right?

Old 08-31-2018, 06:29 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,772,227 times
I will definitely NOT watch this movie. Not rent it, not watch it for free either!

Old 08-31-2018, 06:30 PM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times
I don't understand why Hollywood wants to keep making movies about this time period and especially the space program/space race.

Is it an inferiority complex, the need to constantly pat themselves on the back that team America was first on the moon, because our country is no longer as relevant as they want it to be in light of the emergence of other superpowers?

Old 08-31-2018, 09:52 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Yes.This will be yet another instance of people thinking they read the book...because they saw the movie.

I did read the book in 2005, when it was first published. It's an excellent biography of Armstrong, with facts that would probably bore most people. If you're interested in science and space exploration, as I am, you'd love the book.

Sadly, based on [insert book/novel/event] is becoming more and more loosely based on... whatever. Omitting the planting of the U.S. flag is asinine (have they jettisoned the U.S. flag arm patches, too?) and clearly smacks of the PC globalist agenda, and s not factual, so excuse me if I anticipate that this will simply be another vehicle for Ryan Gosling--and a dumbed-down one, at that.

Not surprising. Even Jurassic Park inserted an obligatory cartoon to explain DNA to the dummies in the audience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies