Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 10:26 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
No. Liberals can't do ANYTHING without virtue signaling and leftist propaganda.
I think you’re right. Even movies about WWII have become so ridiculous. They show every German soldier as a fanatic Nazi when in reality the vast majority were not, they were just young men fighting for their country.

In the 50’s and 60’s when the hatred of the enemy was still in many Americans hearts Hollywood was much more fair to our enemies depicted in movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 10:45 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
I think a good compromise, would be to have Neil Armstrong plant a U.N flag on the moon -this would satisfy those who want a flag scene, and make everyone feel included.

America might have paid for the moon landing, but it was really a world effort - a friend from Nauru, designed the rocket that got them there, and my uncle looked after Michael Collins cat, while Michael was in space.

Last edited by Joe90; 09-05-2018 at 10:58 PM..

Old 09-06-2018, 12:38 PM

17,597 posts, read 13,378,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think a good compromise, would be to have Neil Armstrong plant a U.N flag on the moon -this would satisfy those who want a flag scene, and make everyone feel included.

America might have paid for the moon landing, but it was really a world effort - a friend from Nauru, designed the rocket that got them there, and my uncle looked after Michael Collins cat, while Michael was in space.
NO WAY IN HELL, this was a major AMERICAN accomplishment in 1969!!!

The UN is the Tower of Babel where nothing gets accomplished except padding pockets!!!!

Old 10-27-2018, 05:13 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
All I can say is it was the slowest more boring movie ever.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:42 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,766,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
All I can say is it was the slowest more boring movie ever.
Seriously? I don't know how anyone could have been bored by it. If anything, it was a little too intense to the point of being disturbing, with visual and sound effects that made me feel like I was in those various tight spaces suffering along with Armstrong.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:56 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,766,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
NO WAY IN HELL, this was a major AMERICAN accomplishment in 1969!!!
And I think the movie depicted it as such. They were unmistakably American men of the silent generation and they got the job done.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:37 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,121,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
And I think the movie depicted it as such. They were unmistakably American men of the silent generation and they got the job done.
Basically we didn't need spoon-fed patriotism. Loved this movie. Brought me back to seeing Apollo 13 as a kid.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:53 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
not to mention the context.

it was us against them. it was America against the Soviets.

planting that flag at that time was as HUGE part of the story.

if this is true, I will not watch it.
Stepping onto the moon for the very first time ever was the HUGE part of the story, not the flag planting.

No one cared much about the flag planting. It was a given the astronauts would plant one. Armstrong did what was expected, and we all saw him do it.
We put the first men onto the moon's surface, but the Russians beat us with the first flag. They dropped an un-manned capsule onto the surface from lunar orbit months before our guys landed. So ours was the second flag, and everyone knew that back then. Their flag caused some uproar, and NASA reminded us that we were almost ready to send humans, not just a flag.

With every flight afterwards, the U.S. grew closer and closer to a landing. There was mounting suspense with every one, but the thing everyone dreaded was the crew being unable to take off again. Marooning them was on everyone's mind, especially after NASA announced the landing would be televised live.

But the entire world stopped what it was doing and watched in awe and wonder when Armstrong took his short hop off the end of the ladder and some moon dust puffed up around his feet.

I was one of the billions who watched it. That step was all anyone wanted to talk about. It was the most exciting thing ever. Right to the very end, no one was sure if our guys could actually walk on the moon.

Last edited by banjomike; 10-28-2018 at 07:03 AM..

Old 10-28-2018, 07:24 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,464,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think you’re right. Even movies about WWII have become so ridiculous. They show every German soldier as a fanatic Nazi when in reality the vast majority were not, they were just young men fighting for their country.

In the 50’s and 60’s when the hatred of the enemy was still in many Americans hearts Hollywood was much more fair to our enemies depicted in movies.
It's been proven numerous times that the Wehrmacht was very aware and an accomplice in the genocide.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:00 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
If you watch the movie "the Right Stuff", my favorite line was when one of the U.S. bureaucrats states "our Germans are better than their Germans. Too funny, but also true. However, it was an American achievement because the U.S. taxpayers funded it, and U.S. contractors built everything, not to mention who flew the damn things.
The Apollo Project cost $25.4 billion in 1960’s USD.

Debt was a huge factor of paying for it.

It employed nearly half a million people, mostly contractors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies