Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 06:51 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,752,250 times

Advertisements

Raise your hand, if you want an affirmative action doctor doing your surgery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 06:59 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,387,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I would assume anyone thinking theirself qualified to comment might know the large difference between elude and allude.
Enough said.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:19 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Unfortunately, yes. If you have a choice among doctors, and all you know about them is their race, the safe bet is to choose one from a group that doesn't get admitted to med school through affirmative action or hired by a hospital because it is "prioritizing diversity".
We've seen the same thing with fire and police departments, with them lowering standards across the board in the name of increasing diversity.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:26 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,788,713 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, yes. If you have a choice among doctors, and all you know about them is their race, the safe bet is to choose one from a group that doesn't get admitted to med school through affirmative action or hired by a hospital because it is "prioritizing diversity".
Where's the evidence minority doctors are less capable?

Old 09-09-2018, 01:07 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
There is none.

I always chose a black (American if I can find one) doctor if they are available. I admit that I feel they will be less likely to treat me in a biased or discriminatory way - they'll see me as just a person instead of putting some sort of racial stereotype on me (note I have had Asian and white doctors before and did feel that they were being prejudicial in the review of my medical issues/needs, which is what made me decide to seek a black doctor as a primary care physician especially - the white doctors in particular were always trying to tell me I had some disease that is common to black people and when testing didn't show that to be the case then telling me that I was depressed in one stance - which was ridiculous and note I've been depressed before but just because someone is tired doesn't mean they are depressed - and they completely overlooked my family medical history and tried to put me on depression meds. I got a black doctor and was sent for a sleep study and had mild sleep apnea, which is now treated and I'm not tired anymore and not on depression meds.

But again, this article is about the subjective portions of being admitted to this society, not the grades. Asians and blacks are the primary targets of discrimination per the OP's article and he and the other posters will probably just continue to deny that the article said this (most probably didn't even read the article) because an Asian med student especially doesn't fit into their prejudicial POV of a doctor that is unqualified in regards to grades.

Also, note, this OP often posts articles and opinions based on his/her prejudices of blacks and hispanics and he/she like the majority of posters on this thread like to highlight their perceived superiority of Asians when it comes to academia. Yet, this article specifically states that Asian students are admitted to this society in low numbers based on being judged in a subjective (potentially biased manner) on things not related to grades/tests and you all over look this. I've noted before on this forum that Asians are often the victims of bias and discrimination based on stereotypes people hold of them of not being capable, strong, and/or aggressive/assertive leaders. I personally do feel this is a factor in their low admittance into this medical society. The black students who made complaints were by all measures top scoring students, so the idea that they are unqualified is kind of prejudiced and biased of those speaking ill of all black doctors (which is weird that the thread took this route - to think that all black doctors are unqualified - even though I chose black doctors, I don't think all non-black and/or non-American doctors are unqualified - if they passed med school and their applicable exams and are practicing, then they are evidently qualified to be doctors) the complaints about them being too dumb to have high scores is silly since only the top 25% of all med students even are qualified to make an application to this society. Both the black and Asians being discriminated against, and hispanics who make that cut are the top students at these schools.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:58 PM

37,120 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Enough said.
Muphry's Law at work.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:14 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Sad, but true.

If medical school were based solely on merit, neither race nor ethnicity would ever be an issue.

More importantly, people could unquestionably choose any doctor of any race or ethnicity with extreme confidence, knowing they were truly the best of the best.

At present, there will always be doubt, because we don't know if someone is a doctor based on the merits, or if they are doctor to make Liberals feel good.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:59 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,400,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Just as a group of people who got Ds in high school chemistry will statistically (law of large numbers) be less academically capable in University, a large group admitted to medical school on lowered, affirmative action standards will be statistically less capable.

You can not magically bridge the gap between demonstrated academic performance and capability for doctors anymore than you can for lawyers, airplane mechanics, engineers, or any other profession that has a central technical component.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The article was more about the way that individual schools select the medical students who are admitted and they are not always based on grades or being in the top 25% - it stated that other items are put into the equation which may cause some bias and/or discrimination.
No it didn't. I already reviewed the article, and am specifically trained to do so. I did it in a balanced, unbiased manner. Read my review again.

Quote:
IMO they should make it specifically only about being in the top 25%.
They did. Again, read my review (or the paper). That would (and does) create statistical distortion, as there is no evidence nor credible reason to conclude that anyone scoring within the 75th to 84th percentile has a reliable chance at admission. Thus, those falling within the 9% percentile range, especially if unevenly distributed across racial category, will cause stat skew that ruins the data. They need to do a study that only accounts for those scoring in the 84th percentile or higher, in order to make the data reliable.

Quote:
Note that this article stated that the students disproportionately affected were Asian and black - that there are less Asians even than whites who are nominated. As many of the posters I saw on the first couple of pages are aware - Asians often get way higher test scores versus whites and blacks and so it does point IMO to discrimination if the Asian population is underrepresented in this society.
I already fully addressed this in my review. This particular paper is simply unreliable, due to the study design. At best, it should be considered to be a pilot study that would direct a better designed study in the future. You cannot draw a reliable conclusion from in regard to discrimination from the data in the paper. You could, however, use it to make a case for a better designed study.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Haven't read many replies, but the majority I did read are from people who are uneducated on the topic of white privilege.

A basic tenant to begin to understand the challenges of people of color is to acknowledge that the lack of privilege creates daily hardships that white people don't have to endure - so they would put their energies more into managing those hardships than into school, etc.

It's a simple concept but I don't think most people on this thread could comprehend it.
LOL...because people aren't obligated to buy into self serving Marxist narratives.

You'll never get away with stating "Black people have lower grades because of White privilege". No matter how hard or for how many years that you try. Long time societal and individual experience observing Black students does not bear out your thesis.

Put simply, we aren't going to accept the "equal" social status of people who score lower on tests, because you shout racism. Do the work. Score high on the tests. That's your only recourse. Even the affirmative action that you enjoy now is likely time limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies