Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 10:35 AM

1,991 posts, read 901,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Yet another reason to always, always select a white doctor.
And there in a nutshell is " the extra work they have to do".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 02:16 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
And there in a nutshell is " the extra work they have to do".
Did you miss the other poster who said they always select a black doctor because they view every other race of doctor is biased?

Old 09-11-2018, 08:54 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,766,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Reality is eventually going to bite one in the ass whether one likes it or not, though. Indeed, I certainly don't see liberals in the U.S. and West being anywhere near as totalitarian as the left-wingers in the Soviet Union previously were. Thus, whatever the facts are, they will almost certainly eventually get out, and people are going to have to deal with these facts.
Dogma has always been more than a match for reality. Religions last, long after the stories they're based in are known to be false. The facts are already out to a large extent. People choose to ignore them, or compartmentalize them away from their beliefs. I don't know that the accumulation more scientific evidence showing that population groups differ on average in many important ways will ever really threaten the dominant narrative of equality.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:58 AM

435 posts, read 176,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
How so? The study analyzes 4655 applications from across the country. I'm saying the empirical data shows equally qualified black and Asian students are less likely to be admitted. In general, facts are preferable to anecdotes.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2607210

At the very least, this proves the premise of this thread is misleading.
What do you think you are doing? The OP never meant for people to actually read the article and think about the data. Get out of here with your critical thinking skills and context.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:56 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
No it didn't. I already reviewed the article, and am specifically trained to do so. I did it in a balanced, unbiased manner. Read my review again.

They did. Again, read my review (or the paper). That would (and does) create statistical distortion, as there is no evidence nor credible reason to conclude that anyone scoring within the 75th to 84th percentile has a reliable chance at admission. Thus, those falling within the 9% percentile range, especially if unevenly distributed across racial category, will cause stat skew that ruins the data. They need to do a study that only accounts for those scoring in the 84th percentile or higher, in order to make the data reliable.

I already fully addressed this in my review. This particular paper is simply unreliable, due to the study design. At best, it should be considered to be a pilot study that would direct a better designed study in the future. You cannot draw a reliable conclusion from in regard to discrimination from the data in the paper. You could, however, use it to make a case for a better designed study.

Maybe you responded to the wrong person here....

The OP article specifically said that the top 25% of a class is eligible for admission and that the colleges take those top 25% and they have a selection processed based on grades, test scores, and other subjective sorts of items.

And the article spoke only about those who were in the top 25% at a specific university who were eligible to be in this society.

Not sure why I should really care all that much about you "balanced" or "unbiased" (which is laughable based on your post history) review. LOL

I can read and comprehend what I read and make my own conclusion. None of you in this thread mentioned anything about the fact that Asians were specifically highlighted as a group that were potentially being discriminated against with admittance to this society. You primarily only spoke of your personal prejudices and biases against black doctors and med students like you all love to do when one of the "crew" as I see most of you all who always agree on these subjects, does when one of the crew leaders post an article like this.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:18 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,400,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Maybe you responded to the wrong person here....
I didn't.

Quote:
The OP article specifically said that the top 25% of a class is eligible for admission and that the colleges take those top 25% and they have a selection processed based on grades, test scores, and other subjective sorts of items.
The article states that 16% of the class gets admitted, on average. That's the number, and accompanying top percentile range, that you need to work with if you want to compare statistical racial admission equality. The 9% overflow is unusable, and distorts the data, because you will likely have a meritocratic uneven racial distribution within that extra 9%. I've restated this twice already, and now for a third time.

Quote:
Not sure why I should really care all that much about you "balanced" or "unbiased" (which is laughable based on your post history) review. LOL
Because all article reviews, whether or not I am giving one, are in regard to criticism of an article's shortcomings, strengths, and potential resulting biases. That's why you should theoretically care.

However, in reality I don't care what you care about because you're clearly trying to BS your way through an article critique that you aren't qualified to give.

Do you have a graduate degree in some science, any science? No? I know you don't. That's clear by your critique. Hence, my position that you are BSing your way through this, because you want to attempt to argue. Its like a teacher trying to argue with a car mechanic over how a transmission works, and it comes off just as poorly. You just can't see that because, again, you don't know what you are talking about.

A balanced article review is a balanced article review. If you can critique my review for bias, then do so. I don't think you will be successful. I endeavored to critique everything that I could, regardless of my politics. I believe that balance is evident in my short review.

Furthermore, if you even had the beginnings of an idea of what you are talking about, the answer as to why an article critique should care about "balance" and "unbiased" is self evident. Ie: that's the purpose of any critique.

Quote:
None of you in this thread mentioned anything about the fact that Asians were specifically highlighted as a group that were potentially being discriminated against with admittance to this society.
I absolutely addressed Asians.

Quote:
You primarily only spoke of your personal prejudices and biases against black doctors and med students like you all love to do when one of the "crew" as I see most of you all who always agree on these subjects, does when one of the crew leaders post an article like this.
Untrue. Go read my review again.

Last, there is no "personal prejudice" in light of affirmative action. There is only the reality of affirmative action.

I am used to dealing with affirmative action and non-affirmative action minorities, mostly Black. I can always tell the difference, and those that deserve to be there get zero prejudice and bias from me. I'm happy to have smart, talented people on the team. Those that don't deserve to be there are like dirt in an engine that should otherwise be running smoothly. That's the reality of affirmative action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies