Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2018, 08:45 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times

Advertisements

Was she drunk?

I recall my college days when a girl imbibed a bit too much, walked to her dorm, and entered the bedroom directly under her own on the 2nd floor rather than the 3rd. She actually undressed and climbed into bed. It wasn't until the guy whose bed it was arrived home and found her there. Sent her on her merry way.

I know it is not the same thing and a man is dead, but there is bit of similarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 08:48 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
So if your son was home and a cop burst in and murdered him for being in his own apartment, you'd be cool with the cop getting five years because "she was tired"?
Everyone wants retribution for the wrongful death of a loved one but manslaughter does not result in life sentences, as mathguy said the average is about 5 years.

There are two reasons to put people in prison, the main one should always be to protect the public, that is why people who intentionally kill or maim a person get very long prison sentences- to keep them off the streets. The other reason is for punishment, and 5 years in prison is a big punishment, it disrupts your entire life, it can cause you to lose your home, your car and even your family.

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Was she drunk?

I recall my college days when a girl imbibed a bit too much, walked to her dorm, and entered the bedroom directly under her own on the 2nd floor rather than the 3rd. She actually undressed and climbed into bed. It wasn't until the guy whose bed it was arrived home and found her there. Sent her on her merry way.

I know it is not the same thing and a man is dead, but there is bit of similarity.
no word about her being intoxicated but that could certainly increase her chances of making such a dumb mistake in entering the wrong room.

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
The guy she killed has had his life disrupted also. Permanently. In my view, the only way it's justified in killing someone is if it's self defense. I don't buy all the "I feared for my safety" lines we get fed sometimes. As a cop if your first instinct is to shoot before questioning a perp, you maybe are in the wrong line of work.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:49 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
So she's going to only be charged with manslaughter?

If the roles were reversed, and a black man walked into a white woman's apartment, shot her head, and claimed it was an accident because he entered the wrong apartment. I wonder if he would get just manslaughter?

If somebody walks into my child's home and kills them, I want Murder 2 charges. To say this woman cop was "unbelievably irresponsible" doesn't even begin to capture her fatal mistake. Somebody is dead because she's an idiot.
Murder 2 may be a tough charge. Depends how good the DA is.

Second-degree murder is ordinarily defined as: 1) an intentional killing that is not premeditated or planned, nor committed in a reasonable "heat of passion"; or 2) a killing caused by dangerous conduct and the offender's obvious lack of concern for human life. Second-degree murder may best be viewed as the middle ground between first degree murder and voluntary manslaughter.

These sorts of killings occur in the heat of the moment, and don't involve any premeditation on the part of the killer. At the moment the murder occurs, the killer definitely intends to kill the victim, but up until that moment, the killer had no intent or plan to commit murder.

She could be charged with 2nd degree and intent to cause serious bodily harm. This is where the perpetrator intends to cause serious bodily harm with full knowledge that death could result from the act. The killer might not necessarily intend to kill the victim, but knows that death is a likely outcome. She could claim she was just trying to "stop" the "intruder", but knew shooting the person could result in death.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:54 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
She made a terrible mistake and is going to go to jail over it. But we need to rattle the empty noggins of those who are trying to make this a race issue.
If he had been a white girl, she does not shoot.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:00 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If he had been a white girl, she does not shoot.
And if she had been a black man and he a white woman, he is in custody immediately. He doesn't get three days and special treatment to get his "story" straight.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:02 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I think she probably just entered the wrong apartment thinking it was hers and acted recklessly by shooting the real resident. I doubt neighbors would hear knocking and the exact words of the conversation they claim. They might've heard something but are just filling in the details.
I can hear people knocking on my neighbors doors and occasionally hear their conversations.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:06 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
This is why I don't want a gun. I don't want to be one of those people who get freaked out and overreact. Now her "life is over." Her career..everything. Why, for being an idiot.

Not to mention the poor man who was only guilty of minding his own business, at his own apartment.
Such a waste. Rip to him.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:21 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
This is why I don't want a gun. I don't want to be one of those people who get freaked out and overreact. Now her "life is over." Her career..everything. Why, for being an idiot.

Not to mention the poor man who was only guilty of minding his own business, at his own apartment.
Such a waste. Rip to him.
Yep, me too. I don't want to risk my gun being used for harm.

Swimming pool, too. I'd dearly love to have a swimming pool but don't want the risk of someone drowning on my property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies