Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2018, 04:11 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
So what? Everyone has to support gay marriage and abortion? I bet some independents and even Democrats don't. I don't agree with everything in the GOP. I already told you I don't care about these two issues.
I was responding to someone that said the GOP does not oppose those things. They do indeed and went so far as to put it in writing in their platform. It's right there and I cited the pages. For those claiming it's not, I showed proof that both are noted in the Republican platform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 04:11 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
To be a protected class based on their sexual orientation. Tax payer-supported Social Security Survivor benefits, tax breaks and every other rights and benefits an opposite-sex married couple get, but they have already been given that.
Excuse me, but you didn't mention any 'extra' benefits that aren't granted to every other heterosexual couple

They've already been given what?

Old 09-07-2018, 04:14 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I am really concerned that our country is going in the wrong direction. Can you imagine how many lives will be destroyed if such things were to be overturned?
I am dead set against abortion, so I am definitely ok with overturning RvW and having it decided at a state level. Same thing with gay marriage.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:14 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,040,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The link you provided was the GOP platform which I also provided. Both show the GOP opposes gay marriage. Gays would definitely consider the GOP's opposition to gay marriage as "anti-LGBTQ".

Further, one of the first things Trump tried to do was kick transgenders out of the military. The LGBTQ would definitely consider that an "anti-LGBTQ" position.

Please explain how either one of those positions would be considered supportive of the LGBTQ community.
The link I provided says that the GOP wants it to be decided by the states, not the Supreme Court. Learn to read, stop spreading lies.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:17 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I was responding to someone that said the GOP does not oppose those things. They do indeed and went so far as to put it in writing in their platform. It's right there and I cited the pages. For those claiming it's not, I showed proof that both are noted in the Republican platform.
I quoted and responded to your post and you quoted my response and on and on. They have good reasons to oppose those things. Even with people who don't oppose those issues, it's not really a big deal to them. You act like everyone should worship gay marriage and abortion.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Overturned?

No.

Kicked back to the States where they belong?

Yes.

Actually I take a Libertarian stance on Gay marriage......

If you didn't allow government (fed or states) to regulate marriage, then the issue of gay marriage would solve itself.

Fighting for "gay marriage rights" just validates the government having the power to tell people who can marry who.
And I think that's what will happen. Kavanaugh will be the deciding vote to kick abortion back to the states. And states like mine, which have already made abortion legal regardless of Roe V. Wade, will not be affected.

Many red states have laws on the books that say as soon as the option to make abortion illegal is available, it will be. This will result in a lot of poverty stricken mothers being forced to have babies they cannot support. This will also result in a lot of companies being less inclined to want to expand in such states.

If red states think this will be good for their economies, they better hope they can open a lot of Hobby Lobby's and Chick-fil-As. Tech companies will flee that kind of backward thinking and so will a lot of others. Those states better count on coal and fracking which will be Darwinian and self-solving.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:18 PM

59,102 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I am really concerned that our country is going in the wrong direction. Can you imagine how many lives will be destroyed if such things were to be overturned?

Considering the main plaintiff changed HER mind about abortion and that it was the WORSE decision he had made in he life and if has second chance would NEVER do it again. Yes.

Same sex marriage. Yes. The human being is the ONLY animal who has sex with the same sex.

That should tell you something.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:19 PM

59,102 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Are you prepared to adopt them?

DON'T engage in sex and problem solved.

Or are you so weak you cannot control your urges?

Old 09-07-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I quoted and responded to your post and you quoted my response and on and on. They have good reasons to oppose those things. Even with people who don't oppose those issues, it's not really a big deal to them. You act like everyone should worship gay marriage and abortion.
That's the title of this thread. That's the point of this entire thread. Why comment if these are not issues of interest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
DON'T engage in sex and problem solved.

Or are you so weak you cannot control your urges?
Ah, the abstinence plan. That worked so well for Bristol Palin she collected over a quarter million dollars promoting it after getting pregnant the first time. Then she got pregnant out of wedlock AGAIN. So much for abstinence.

Abstinence-only advocate Bristol Palin gives birth to 2nd out-of-wedlock child
https://www.nola.com/politics/index....ate_brist.html

How Much Money Did Bristol Palin Earn From Abstinence Speeches? Sarah Palin’s Daughter Is Pregnant, Again
https://www.ibtimes.com/how-much-mon...ughter-1985992

Old 09-07-2018, 04:20 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Excuse me, but you didn't mention any 'extra' benefits that aren't granted to every other heterosexual couple

They've already been given what?
Yes heterosexual married couples got benefits not granted to any other couples or individuals until gay couples got those special benefits too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies