Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2018, 06:50 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times

Advertisements

I’m torn about the eventual striking down of roe. On the one hand it is going to be bad for women, but on the other hand it will help create a permanent Democratic majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 07:12 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I am really concerned that our country is going in the wrong direction. Can you imagine how many lives will be destroyed if such things were to be overturned?
Roe and Obergefell were wrongly decided. They have to be overturned. If you don't like it. amend the Constitution.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:20 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

I tend to believe Judge Kavanaugh when he says that he respects this doctrine. It is one thing to say "I am against abortion", but a whole other thing to 'overrule' a prior Supreme Court decision, which would, in this case, mean overruling hundreds, if not thousands, of subsequent lower court decisions that regarding Roe v. Wade as a 'privacy' case.

Of course, if Mr. Kavanaugh is lying, and votes with four others to 'overrule' Roe v. Wade, then we are in a mess.
And I tend to believe Kavanaugh is every bit as partisan as the GOP wants him to be. Kavanaugh worked on what they called Ken Starr's "brain trust" during the Clinton impeachment.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/17/63967...-it-shaped-him

That investigation started as a land deal and years later, when they couldn't find anything on that, they questioned Clinton about an affair, when he lied, they zinged him on that. Trump lies so much there are online counters, but hey, Clinton lied about an affair to a prosecutor so impeachment.

Now Kavanaugh has expressed doubt about investigating or prosecuting a president. Got that?

The same guy that was on Ken Starr's team for FOUR YEARS, now has doubts about investigating a president.

Trump's Supreme Court pick has expressed doubts about investigating or prosecuting a sitting president
https://www.businessinsider.com/bret...ictment-2018-7

This tells me that Kavanagh is as partisan as they come and they are hiding his views on abortion because they and he have a plan. I don't care. I live in a state that has already made abortion legal outside of Roe V. Wade. But I do not for one second believe Kavanaugh when he says he respects anything. He was for investigating a president (he participated!) when it was a Democrat and opposes it now that it's a Republican.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:22 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I have not read all of this thread. However, I will hazard a guess that none have pointed out that Roe v. Wade was, if you read it, a 'privacy' issue.
No, it wasn't. It was about whether the central government should dictate to the states what their abortion laws should be.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:25 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Roe and Obergefell were wrongly decided. They have to be overturned. If you don't like it. amend the Constitution.
How does Obergefell negatively impact anyone other than the evangelicals simply don't like it?

Gay marriage is a separate issue from the cakes or transgender visibility or any of the other LGBT issues conservatives get riled up about.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:27 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
I believe both rulings should stand, but with abortion, I think we should not celebrate or encourage it. What bothers me about the leftist position on abortion is the way they are becoming increasingly extreme in their position.

Abortion should be discouraged, avoided and shamed. We should encourage the use of contraception and all types of sex education as well as over the counter Plan B.

I think states should be able to continue, as per current law to restrict all abortion after 12 weeks and we should work to reduce all abortion, but particularly those after 12 weeks.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:31 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
That may be, but the government may only be interested in regulating it, as they do most everything else.
Effects of Abortion on the U.S. Population
So let me get this straight. This "experiment" is designed to force an increase in the population of red states? Do we have to pay for them? Because this idea of forcing an increase in unplanned children born to parents who had too many barriers to get an abortion means they are basically an experiment similar to the populations of Appalachia. 10% of West Virginia is on Disability and the top five states on Disability are West Virginia, Kentucky, Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama. If this is somehow viewed as a way to increase the white population, that is not what will happen, all populations will increase.

So...wow, so the Republican position is to oppose the immigration of suffering immigrants because they are too much of a burden on our economy - then force the birth of poverty stricken children born within our own borders.

I would like to see this discussed at a future presidential debate.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:31 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
How does Obergefell negatively impact anyone other than the evangelicals simply don't like it?

Gay marriage is a separate issue from the cakes or transgender visibility or any of the other LGBT issues conservatives get riled up about.
Tell that to gays who seek out Christians to have liberal governments persecute.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:35 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupp-certified View Post
Yes. There's a 2 million person waiting list to adopt in the US.
There are around 500,000 children in foster care and around 140,000 are adopted each year. The foster care system is deplorable and many are unwilling to take those that have disabilities or other issues.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:35 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Tell that to gays who seek out Christians to have liberal governments persecute.
I'm going to persecute you right now. Your God isn't real. I'm gay. Deal with it. I can still legally say that now, though if you and other Trump supporters had your way I'd be arrested for crimes against nature (homosexuality) and crimes against nature's God (atheism).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies