Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2018, 10:35 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,914,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
For those interested, the plank urging the nullification of gay marriage is right there at the top of page 32. I didn’t look for the plank on RvW, because the idea that the R party has given up on this issue after 40 years is screaming about it is just too ridiculous.
It's not like this is surprising to anyone who's been paying attention. Of course they want these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 10:35 AM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
You have seemed to miss the point.
Nope. Just stated the facts. If she disobeys the law, that is on her. None of us get to pick which laws we follow, which we break, w/o accepting consequences for the latter.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:50 AM

2,953 posts, read 2,901,347 times
Pro-choice, Pro-gay, Pro-gun, Pro-freedom. Overall, kind of ambivalent on these two issues; I think many Republicans are. Abortion and gay-rights aren't things I vote on. Marry a rock for all I care. For many non-religious rural folk the equation is quite simple, don't touch the guns and don't touch the freedoms. While the Republican party doesn't fully encompass this it is much closer than Democratic nanny policy.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I am really concerned that our country is going in the wrong direction. Can you imagine how many lives will be destroyed if such things were to be overturned?
Give it up for heavens sake: very few people are in favor of reversing Roe versus Wade or it they are in favor, the know it will not happen. The same with same sex marriage. So don't let this keep you up at night.

And I will add, I am a conservative or let's say I am a fiscal conservative but pretty much in the middle on social issues.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:02 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,845,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
except that guy who swore he loved her to get into her pants and after he finds she is pregnant he abandons her.Sure…….no influence there
Then women need to get smarter.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:05 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,914,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Nope. Just stated the facts. If she disobeys the law, that is on her. None of us get to pick which laws we follow, which we break, w/o accepting consequences for the latter.
Women will get abortions regardless of current day legality. It's been happening for centuries.

If we were to suddenly ban the practice, it would still happen "illegally". And many women would die.

These are just facts. Which is what we're taking about here, right?

Old 09-08-2018, 11:19 AM

21,480 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
All you would be doing is making women go look up on the Internet how to give themselves abortions at home. Please explain why at home abortions are smarter to do.
I don’t see that happening. He didn’t say all abortion should be outlawed, just after the first trimester.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:22 AM

21,480 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Totalitarian regimes have no respect for a majority. If Trump has a puppet majority in the Supreme Court to carry out his orders, that's what this country will become.
All this handwringing over something that will never happen. Justices are appointed for life for a reason, so they don’t have to be a rubber stamp for the president who nominated them. I do not think Kavanaugh would be. In fact, I think Kavanaugh is going to end up being the swing vote just like his predecessor.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:33 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
except that guy who swore he loved her to get into her pants and after he finds she is pregnant he abandons her.Sure…….no influence there
Influence is not the same as force.

No one is forcing women to be gullible.

No one is forcing women to have unprotected vaginal intercourse. (Again with the exception of rape).

No one is forcing women to be stupid.

And I expect your come back will be something on the order of shouldn't the man have some responsibility too?

Yes of course they should.

But men don't get pregnant, do they?

So if women want responsibility for what happens with their own bodies, they should start by not having unprotected vaginal intercourse if they're not wanting to get pregnant

Yes, birth control fails......but rarely when used properly, so that's not what I'm talking about here.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:42 AM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
Roe vs Wade was a court decision.

This issue should be codified into law by congress, one way or the other. It would be better as a state issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies