Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 08:12 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I am not a fan of abortion. I don't identify as a conservative. I'm just someone who doesn't like the idea of killing the unborn children. Unless it is a dire emergency, abortion is never a good idea. This is how I see it. If you know you can't take care of the child by the time you're pregnant, better to give the child away for adoption and give that child a chance at life. On the other hand, I'm also finding out that the child care system has alot of kids that never get adopted.

I also think of this. We know that alot of children are being born to parents who were never fit to be parents in the first place or didn't have the ability to take care of them. Many people look at such people as a burden on society. I find it ironic that we have people talking about "you better not be on welfare when that kid is born" or " you better not expect the tax payers to pick of the bill for your kid". Ironic considering that many kids often become a burden on the taxpayer when they get older. What am I talking about? Crime, drug abuse,etc. These are issues to consider.

This is what I have to look at. What we all should look at. What do we do with said kids once they are born. As someone who does not see abortion as a good option, I also understand that many of those kids are going to have problems. If their birth parents cannot take care of them, who will? I say adoption is the #1 solution. However, I also understand that we have kids in the care of the system who cannot get adopted. People who adopt often want the babies. If the babies are not adopted by a certain age, the chances of getting adopted drop even lower. And then there is a bigger issue. Many unwanted children are the result of both parties being irresponsible. Two unwed persons having unprotected sex and then a pregnancy results. One person or both persons are two irresponsible to prepare for that kid.

So far, we have unwanted children being born and irresponsible people giving birth to unwanted kids. We need to find a solution that does not involve abortion. So far, adoption seems to be the best one, but this has some holes as well. Many can't adopt. Many won't adopt.

Women face the potential for abuse at multiple points throughout their lives. Abortion gives women the right to make a choice that will affect them (either way) for the rest of their lives. I personally find it ironic that some with the most ardent anti-abortion views will never have a child (Men), never have adopted or fostered or contributed to any mothers welfare charities, and some even support the Death Penalty while claiming to be right-to-lifers.

If your personal view is against abortion then don't have one; help counsel pregnant mothers and provide support for those facing the daunting decisions that pregnancy imposes, but stay out of the extremely personal (and completely legal) decision that some women have to make when pregnancy happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 08:38 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Conservatives, are you in favor of overturning Roe V. Wade and Same-Sex Marriage?

Nope.

I voted for Same-Sex Marriage in a state referendum before the SCOTUS made it moot. It's a done deal.

Re Abortion. I am glad I have never had to deal with it on personal level. If Roe is overturned, it goes back to the states, some of whom will ban abortion while many will legalize it. So a woman will never be more than 3 hours from a procedure. Not a great situation if you are pregnant, but not the end of the world.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:44 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,871 times
Dont want to get pregnant? Dont have sex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Why same sex marriage? Is someone making you marry someone of the same sex?

Old 09-10-2018, 08:47 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,871 times
The same people losing their mind over the possibility of Roe v wade being overturned are the same people telling pro lifers to adopt all the unwanted babies. These are the same people that are for unlimited illegal immigration. Are you pro choicer willing to take in all the illegal immigrants into your own homes???

Old 09-10-2018, 08:50 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
I can see spouses loving that suggestion.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:50 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Quote:
Don't like abortion? Don't have one.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:51 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,805,986 times
Quote:
So you admit it.

Conservatives want not just to ban abortion but to ban birth control. I've heard it countless times in church that the invention that started the "destruction of America" is the pill. You want to control every aspect of everyone's sex lives and private lives for that matter so you can force your religion on them.

It's amazing how close we are to theocracy right now and how many people who call themselves "true patriots" can't accept that the First Amendment affords people the right to not believe in their deity.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:54 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well let's just say, there is no legal reason to overturn it, so what difference does it made? A lot of people, including yours truly, are pro life, but we also realize that is a personal feeling and has nothing to do wiht the actual law. Would all of you stop worrying so much about this? if there was ever going to be a true attempt at overturning the law it would have happened or an attempt would have been made while Bush was president.
Anti-abortion zealots are preparing cases now to work their way through the courts as we speak. They specifically look for cases they think can make it to the Supremes.

Perhaps if your president and VP hadn't run around crowing about how they would overturn Roe - people wouldn't be so concerned.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:55 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
No. I'm personally pro-life, but overturning Roe v. Wade will just drive abortion underground and make it more dangerous. I'm not in favor of overturning gay marriage.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:04 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
No. I'm personally pro-life, but overturning Roe v. Wade will just drive abortion underground and make it more dangerous. I'm not in favor of overturning gay marriage.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies