Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 03:13 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,947,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I thought the behavior by the fans during the awards ceremony was equally deplorable booing while they were on the podium.
That was horrendous... and I believe they never would have done that if Serena had not provided the incitement.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:13 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How many matches have you seen where a player gets cited for coaching? That's honestly the first time I've seen it and that was certainly the first time a coaching violation has been called in a match of that magnitude. Everyone who knows tennis knows that the warning for coaching is considered a "soft" infraction and players and coaches skate on it 99.9% of the time. It's such a rarely enforced rule that it's almost meaningless.
The illegal coaching from the stands thing has been a hot button topic in tennis for years. Players accusing each other, commentators calling it out, fines being levied (Nadal), and yes, warnings. Ramos is a notorious rules stickler. Whether that particular rule gets called as often as it should (like all the times Djokovic accuses opponents of it) doesn't mean it is any less a rule. If anything, Ramos should be applauded for being fair and even handed, even when it it is the game's biggest star. Her coach admitted that he was coaching her. And for that violation, she was given a warning, period.

Everything that happened after that is a sore loser throwing a tantrum, and it's not her first time. She violated the hindrance rule against Stosur in 2011 and then melted down, and she foot faulted vs Clijsters in 2009 and then melted down. In all three instances, she had lost the first set soundly, was playing inferior to her opponent, and melted down because she was losing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
A "rule is a rule" in this thread yet when Paul Manafort gets busted for not registering as a foreign agent, the cries are "that law is never enforced!" Which is it? Rules always matter or they don't matter at all when selectively enforced.

I can't expect much of a discussion out of rabid partisans who hardly follow the sport. Just figured I'd add my two cents.
Not one part of this thread has anything to do with Paul Manafort, politics or partisanship. I follow tennis pretty well, and have backed up my posts with facts. Not sure how a totally irrelevant ad hominem fits the discussion, but whatever.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:18 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The illegal coaching from the stands thing has been a hot button topic in tennis for years. Players accusing each other, commentators calling it out, fines being levied (Nadal), and yes, warnings. Ramos is a notorious rules stickler. Whether that particular rule gets called as often as it should (like all the times Djokovic accuses opponents of it) doesn't mean it is any less a rule. If anything, Ramos should be applauded for being fair and even handed, even when it it is the game's biggest star. Her coach admitted that he was coaching her. And for that violation, she was given a warning, period.

Everything that happened after that is a sore loser throwing a tantrum, and it's not her first time. She violated the hindrance rule against Stosur in 2011 and then melted down, and she foot faulted vs Clijsters in 2009 and then melted down. In all three instances, she had lost the first set soundly, was playing inferior to her opponent, and melted down because she was losing.

Not one part of this thread has anything to do with Paul Manafort, politics or partisanship. I follow tennis pretty well, and have backed up my posts with facts. Not sure how a totally irrelevant ad hominem fits the discussion, but whatever.
This is the real crux of the issue with Serena Williams. Those previous issues I could get over. Now her trying to play the sexism card just takes it over the top, she went from being a sore loser to a despicable liar trying to save face while destroying peoples reputations.

And I hate Trump. The fact that this is falling around political lines should be embarrassing to any adult with an IQ over 90.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:21 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
She wasn't accused of cheating. Her coach was coaching her from the box, which is against the rules, and everyone including her knows it, and the umpire caught him doing it. She should have shut her mouth and not smashed her racket. She's did not have the maturity to control herself, and she's enabled by people constantly kissing her butt.
She said that she did not even pay his coaching any mind or notice and if that is true she is perfectly correct in taking a stance on her own behalf.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:21 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
ESPN: About that no-coaching rule in Grand Slam tennis: Let's change it.

Such code violation warnings aren't rare or unusual. (At least two other players received code violations for coaching, including Dominika Cibulkova was also assessed a coaching violation in her third-round match.) Players usually grumble, protest their innocence and move on. And while Ramos was accusing Mouratoglou, not Williams, of cheating, the incident was the trigger for all that came later. Williams just couldn't let it go.
Peter Bodo doesn't know what he's talking about. He's not as ridiculous as Johnny Mac ("Nadal has the best volleys on tour") but he's getting there.

As Chris Evert said after the match: "Every coach coaches, the hand signals…You need to readdress the rule." And as Martina said in an article someone already posted.

Quote:
Ms. Williams was not happy about this warning and let the umpire, Carlos Ramos, know it. So far, not so bad. (It is also common for the umpire to talk to the player first about the coaching — a sort of “soft warning” before the real warning so that the player has a chance to “muzzle” the coach. Had that been done, nothing at all might have followed — but we will never know.)
There's never been an iron clad prohibition against on court coaching. Nadal gets called out from time to time because Uncle Toni was so blatant with it. But for the most part, the umpire just tells the box to cut it out and that's that. I think Serena's surprise was reasonable...sort of like a basketball player playing with 5 fouls but thinks she has 4.

For all the "rules are rules" people on here, how much tennis did you actually watch before Saturday's final? If you can't say what Sampras' forehand grip was without having to Google it, you probably don't watch enough of the sport to speak on anything authoritatively.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
She said that she did not even pay his coaching any mind or notice and if that is true she is perfectly correct in taking a stance on her own behalf.
And the ump acknowledged that to her as well, said " I know you didn't mean it" or something. She would not stop. Maturity. She was losing. She couldn't handle it.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
And the ump acknowledged that to her as well, said " I know you didn't mean it" or something. She would not stop. Maturity. She was losing. She couldn't handle it.
Well if she was not culpable than I do not blame her being pissed that she was held responsible. She totally told her fans to chill and not boo so it had zero to do with her attitude towards her opponent.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:37 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
This is the real crux of the issue with Serena Williams. Those previous issues I could get over. Now her trying to play the sexism card just takes it over the top, she went from being a sore loser to a despicable liar trying to save face while destroying peoples reputations.
and on the sore loser note:

Power Ranking the 5 Sorest Losers of Tennis
Serena Williams is the sorest loser
Sore loser Serena slammed by Stephens
Serena Williams isn’t the victim of sexism – she’s just a sore loser
Bondy: Serena Williams' racket only served to steal the moment from Naomi Osaka, who was the better player in U.S. Open final...."And let’s face it — it’s all because Williams is a sore loser."

She's a notorious sore loser. It's not news.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Well if she was not culpable than I do not blame her being pissed that she was held responsible. She totally told her fans to chill and not boo so it had zero to do with her attitude towards her opponent.
Well, she managed to show that she isn't completely evil to not want to watch some 20 year old kid have a complete breakdown due to her being a jerk. I'll give her that. She isn't evil, she's just a jerk.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Well, she managed to show that she isn't completely evil to not want to watch some 20 year old kid have a complete breakdown due to her being a jerk. I'll give her that. She isn't evil, she's just a jerk.
Standing up for one's self when falsely accused is not being a jerk. If you have ever been accused of something you did not do you might be able to relate to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies