Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 02:55 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Federer should have shut his mouth. He's not a child. Being right about a call doesn't then give you the right to berate an umpire and drop obscenities. That could technically be considered "verbal abuse," and if you are a true fan of the sport, you understand that verbal abuse doesn't have to be directed at an umpire to be considered an infraction. So when Federer yells at fans "SHUT UP!!!" he should be issued a code violation for that.
Not sure that is a code violation. Cursing is and for all I know he got one that match, but you'd never know, because he isn't stupid enough to smash his racket after getting a code violation so there was never any penalty assessed.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:56 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Naomi on Today... nothing controversial, but she is who should be highlighted.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:58 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,946,325 times
Quote:
How many matches have you seen where a player gets cited for coaching? That's honestly the first time I've seen it and that was certainly the first time a coaching violation has been called in a match of that magnitude. Everyone who knows tennis knows that the warning for coaching is considered a "soft" infraction and players and coaches skate on it 99.9% of the time. It's such a rarely enforced rule that it's almost meaningless.

A "rule is a rule" in this thread yet when Paul Manafort gets busted for not registering as a foreign agent, the cries are "that law is never enforced!" Which is it? Rules always matter or they don't matter at all when selectively enforced.

I can't expect much of a discussion out of rabid partisans who hardly follow the sport. Just figured I'd add my two cents.
ESPN: About that no-coaching rule in Grand Slam tennis: Let's change it.

Such code violation warnings aren't rare or unusual. (At least two other players received code violations for coaching, including Dominika Cibulkova was also assessed a coaching violation in her third-round match.) Players usually grumble, protest their innocence and move on. And while Ramos was accusing Mouratoglou, not Williams, of cheating, the incident was the trigger for all that came later. Williams just couldn't let it go.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:01 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Sure, but lots of sports figures blow up and rarely get called out for a lack of professionalism. Every week in college football, a coach slams his headset on the ground and gets in the face of a referee (usually drawing a penalty) and nobody ever says the coach needs to check his emotions. You never hear that sort of thing said about men unless they go full Ron Artest or Rodman.
I recall Tremont Green being suspended in an NBA final for a flagrant foul that probably cost GS the title. The bottom line is that every referee is different, don’t put yourself in that position in the first place and then complain. Her coach signaled her to get closer to the net and she won the next 3 points and the she claimed the referee was lying. Her behavior would not be tolerated if she was a teenager, she lost her composure and then the match. Then she claimed to be some social justice warrior for women and her daughter, pretty poor excuse.

I agree that men are treated differently but that was not the time to raise the issue.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Naomi on Today... nothing controversial, but she is who should be highlighted.

-Woman
-Woman of color
-humble
-beast of tennis player who was beating her idol, the greatest women's player of all time, fair and square
-had her moment stolen by said idol who is an overgrown 12 year old with a victim complex who is a sore loser

I hope when Naomi comes back next year she gets a standing ovation, and then she just shakes her head at the New York crowd and doesn't acknowledge.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:04 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Not sure that is a code violation. Cursing is and for all I know he got one that match, but you'd never know, because he isn't stupid enough to smash his racket after getting a code violation so there was never any penalty assessed.
A "verbal abuse" violation is subjective. It's like an NBA official deciding whether or not to throw Draymond Green out of a game for kicking an opposing player in the nads for the 15th time in a single season. Every ref calls it differently and some get away with more from the same refs than others do. It's part of the game.

I don't really care so much about the verbal abuse infraction as I do the coaching infraction because the latter almost NEVER gets called. So he's going to issue an infraction for coaching in the decisive set of the US Open Final? It was a very ticky-tacky call. I don't think most players are really aware that it's a violation on par with a racquet smash, which is why I think she responded the way she did to the call. In that context, the "you are a thief" remark makes sense. But I take it most people on this forum don't follow much tennis so they have no idea what they're talking about and can only resort to saying "rules are rules." There are maybe about 4 people who regularly participate in C-D tennis threads LOL.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:05 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
I thought the behavior by the fans during the awards ceremony was equally deplorable booing while they were on the podium.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
A "verbal abuse" violation is subjective. It's like an NBA official deciding whether or not to throw Draymond Green out of a game for kicking an opposing player in the nads for the 15th time in a single season. Every ref calls it differently and some get away with more from the same refs than others do. It's part of the game.

I don't really care so much about the verbal abuse infraction as I do the coaching infraction because the latter almost NEVER gets called. So he's going to issue an infraction for coaching in the decisive set of the US Open Final? It was a very ticky-tacky call. I don't think most players are really aware that it's a violation on par with a racquet smash, which is why I think she responded the way she did to the call. In that context, the "you are a thief" remark makes sense. But I take it most people on this forum don't follow much tennis so they have no idea what they're talking about and can only resort to saying "rules are rules." There are maybe about 4 people who regularly participate in C-D tennis threads LOL.
It's not "almost never called". That's another myth.

There were 2 other violations for coaching during the tournament, and this was a BLATANT example of it.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:08 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Sad that this young woman can't win in grace. She has to go through life knowing that she won a match that upset entitled Americans. Now, Serena is making this finals about her.

http://twitter.com/CamCox12/status/1038558762376679425
She was accused of cheating and if she truly did not she is right to stand up to defend and fight for herself. Why should she not make it about her if it is about her reputation?

Old 09-10-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
She was accused of cheating and if she truly did not she is right to stand up to defend and fight for herself. Why should she not make it about her if it is about her reputation?
She wasn't accused of cheating. Her coach was coaching her from the box, which is against the rules, and everyone including her knows it, and the umpire caught him doing it. She should have shut her mouth and not smashed her racket. She's did not have the maturity to control herself, and she's enabled by people constantly kissing her butt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies