Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2018, 02:19 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I've been called "spicy" and "feisty", and it's always by creepy dudes who can't take no for an answer. So, I'm not sure that's much better than how people react to assertive black women.

Also, I've seen white women labelled "bitchy"/trashy/crazy/hysterical for expressing anger, so they definitely don't get away with it either.

I think society just doesn't like it when women in general express anger.

I agree with the bold.

It is true that often black women are called "angry" or "mean" or some other sort of connotation when we are assertive and white women are often called "hysterical" or a ***** for being assertive or just expressing themselves in a way people don't want women to express themselves.

It is really ridiculous honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
ok, so seriously. I am kind of thinking this entire conversation and the spin in the NYT and WP and ESPN and all the other outlets are doing us all a disservice.

I still don't know if she actually broke the initial rule. Either she cheated or she didn't. Her coach said HE coached. No clue if she was receiving and acting on the coaching. No clarification on the rule if it matters that she did or did not participate in the coaches action.

can we clear that point up first? Either the umpire is right and nothing else matters because Serena got mad about getting caught, or the umpire is wrong and everything that happened, happened because he cheated her.

the fact that all the outlets talking about this point are ignoring this point tells me they don't care one bit about truth. they only care about scoring some idiotic political point.

It matters.

On the blue, I don't think we will really know because of the other hullabaloo. I do think the fine is excessive that she received. I'm inclined to believe that she didn't break the rule only because of how she reacted to the call. I'm sure she is p*ssed at her coach but she cannot change the fact that any coaching is a penalty on the player. I can understand how she got angry at the whole situation.

Also, even if he was trying to signal her, it is common for the umpire to warn the player to tell the coach to stop before a penalty. Her coach noted this as well and said that same umpire does it often but didn't in this case. I agree with that and feel maybe this umpire just had/has a personal dislike of Serena.

I'll note that I believe that I think that that whole situation kind of took Serena out of her game. She went down hill after that first interaction. Again, I love her and I do think she could have behaved better but I also understand how "into" a competition an athlete can get. She has always been hyper competitive but I think she let her frustration get the best of her in this situation. I do think the umpire could have told her first to have whatever he saw of the coach doing - to have her get him to knock it off. That would have avoided the whole thing. But this interaction took Serena out of her element and it was the reason why she lost. She is old enough IMO to realize that often people try to get under your skin to negatively influence your performance. I understand she is sick of stuff like what occurred since it has been something she's dealt with at this particular tournament before, but she should know better IMO and should have kept her head in the game instead of the conflict with the umpire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 02:33 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with the bold.

It is true that often black women are called "angry" or "mean" or some other sort of connotation when we are assertive and white women are often called "hysterical" or a ***** for being assertive or just expressing themselves in a way people don't want women to express themselves.

It is really ridiculous honestly.

On the blue, I don't think we will really know because of the other hullabaloo. I do think the fine is excessive that she received. I'm inclined to believe that she didn't break the rule only because of how she reacted to the call. I'm sure she is p*ssed at her coach but she cannot change the fact that any coaching is a penalty on the player. I can understand how she got angry at the whole situation.

Also, even if he was trying to signal her, it is common for the umpire to warn the player to tell the coach to stop before a penalty. Her coach noted this as well and said that same umpire does it often but didn't in this case. I agree with that and feel maybe this umpire just had/has a personal dislike of Serena.

I'll note that I believe that I think that that whole situation kind of took Serena out of her game. She went down hill after that first interaction. Again, I love her and I do think she could have behaved better but I also understand how "into" a competition an athlete can get. She has always been hyper competitive but I think she let her frustration get the best of her in this situation. I do think the umpire could have told her first to have whatever he saw of the coach doing - to have her get him to knock it off. That would have avoided the whole thing. But this interaction took Serena out of her element and it was the reason why she lost. She is old enough IMO to realize that often people try to get under your skin to negatively influence your performance. I understand she is sick of stuff like what occurred since it has been something she's dealt with at this particular tournament before, but she should know better IMO and should have kept her head in the game instead of the conflict with the umpire.
This interaction had nothing to do with her loss. I watched that match and she had no answer for her opponent. Osaka was blasting Serena's serve back at her and over-powering her. She had her running from one side of the court to the other. She blew a gasket out of frustration from getting beaten by a better player. It happens.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:46 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Again, it is a false stereotype that black women are angry. Black women don't express anger anymore than any other women.
Everyone gets angry. This is more about how that anger is expressed. Serena is a big woman and she uses that to make her rage more intimidating.
Quote:
I've joked with my white friends and family that IMO white women when they get angry, they will f**k up your whole life much moreso than a black woman will in many ways!! Ask any white man who's been taken to town in divorce by his ex. Ask Tiger Woods about that golf club to his windshield lol.
And yes angry non-black women get physical also. But again, IMO black women are much more physically intimidating in their body language(think chicken neck) and being physically bigger and stronger.

And in regards to a white woman f*cking up a man's life more... it's because they use other weapons to get their revenge, such as hiring a good lawyer for the divorce. Meanwhile... as a baby momma and not a wife, the angry black woman doesn't have that same clout legally.

But one on one, I'd much sooner take on an angry Asian or white woman than a black woman. Serena is built like a bull, and I know my physical limitations. I don't what would be worse, dealing with an angry pit bull or an angry Serena!!

Old 09-12-2018, 03:00 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,891 times
Maybe Coco Vandeweghe's violent outburst was due to her innate white rage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2rfl3tWnvc

Old 09-12-2018, 03:02 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Again, it is a false stereotype that black women are angry. Black women don't express anger anymore than any other women. This is a stereotype from the 19th century that you all are trying to insinuate is truth when it is not. Serena is herself. She is very competitive and "into" her play and people who are super competitive no matter their gender or ethnicity have a tendency to lose it at times while engaging in their competitive activity of choice.

I'm a black woman. I love my life, I love being American, I've been to Canada a number of times and felt the same there as I do in America - myself. You folks need to stop believing that just because someone's skin is dark tan to dark brown that they individually have a different human experience versus other people.

Most everyone just lives their lives on a day to day basis and I don't know many people at all who walk around angry all the time.
I'm in agreement. Yes black women do get angry and it does look ugly, but other tyes of women do get angry too. Not for nothing, I would rather deal with an angry black woman in which she forgives me, than have passionate love making and move on together as a unit. VS an angry white woman who gets angry, than she forgives me, have passionate love making, than the next day that white woman is trying to run me over with the car I leased over to her, than a week later I'm at court begging to lawyer to have mercy on my white girlfriend or white wife.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:25 PM

2,828 posts, read 824,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Thanks to Serena, black women are now free to rage.

Serena Williams’s Gift to Naomi Osaka, and Women, at the U.S. Open
I say Bullchit!

Old 09-12-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
She has 23 majors, and she’s been a ball of rage her whole career.

What have you won? Maybe you should try a little rage for once.
And what has rage done for you lately?

Old 09-12-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
She threw a tantrum and now certain people are celebrating her poor behavior because she is black and a woman.

What's new? Dog bites man.

Rodney King leads police on a high-speed chase and endangers the lives of hundreds, proceeds to resist arrest, and becomes the new Martin Luther King overnight.

Millions rally to the cause of Michael Brown, who attacked a police officer and was shot for it.

Failed quarterback Colin Kaepernick with a career on life support refuses to stand for the flag to protest treatment of blacks in America despite the fact that he is a millionaire playing in a league of predominantly black millionaires. Get a Nike endorsment claiming that he "sacrificed everything" when in fact he kept his face in the limelight despite a complete lack of talent.

Black actors whine and hijack an academy awards protesting that Will Smith was not nominated for what was generally considered a poor performance.

Maxine Waters openly urging people to harass and attack Trump supporters.

We can go on with this all night, but why bother? Everyone knows, whether they admit it or not, that poor behavior amongst black people is celebrated by their liberal enablers. Black people are never, ever going to be treated with the same respect until they collectively shine their oppression light on themselves and admit that they are the cause of their own problems, and we have not even gotten into the gender aspect of this.

Good luck.
Kudos my brother.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Black men MARRY black women. Far as dating who cares? I have friends both black and white, male and female in mixed relationships and most of the time it's not because of their skin color. Most reasonable people know that. White men are killing their wives. I don't see you calling that out as angry.
And so are Black men.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:37 PM

13,944 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
I'll note that I believe that I think that that whole situation kind of took Serena out of her game. She went down hill after that first interaction.

But this interaction took Serena out of her element and it was the reason why she lost.
She lost 6-2 in the first set before Ramos issued her a warning for the coaching thing. Go look at the stats for the 1st and 2nd sets. She was getting beaten in almost every statistical category. And where she lost everything was after she broke Osaka in game 4 to have the second set at 3-1, Osaka broke back from a score of 15-30. The next 3 points and her reaction had exactly nothing to do with Ramos and everything to do with her. She double faults to 30-30. She double faults again to 30-40. Then she botches a backhand to Osaka breaking back, aaaannnndddd....we smash the racquet. Osaka starts off game 6 at 15-love thanks to Serena's penalty, but holds serve with Serena at love. And then the wheels come off. Bigly.

In both the second and third penalty, what launched her tantrum action was a recent 3 points in a row slap from Osaka. The break back in game 5 on three straight points, and then Osaka, cool as a cucumber, evening the match on three straight service points. Serena's a sore loser, and took her frustrations out on the umpire and sifted blame to everyone and everything other tan Osaka weathering a mild bit of a comeback and calmly rattling off 6 straight points to win 2 games and derail Serena's comeback mojo.

She got beat and then pouted and threw a tantrum. Watch the freaking replay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies