Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2018, 10:15 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Osaka performed was amazing. Both women played thier hearts out. Sadly residinghere2007 will think other wise or I'm just virtue signaling to women and black America. But to be honest. Both women played when hell of a Match.

Lol there you go again being a psychic trying to infer what other people think - at least now its just an individual

Could care less about "virtue singling."

I agree it was a great match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 10:16 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It doesn't matter what was "meant" it was indeed a racist, sapphire caricature of Serena. Naomi Osaka was also depicted as white in that cartoon.... See picture below - Serena is not much bigger for one that Naoni and they are of similar skin color, Serena is just a shade darker and not some huge hulking, black beastly monster compared to Naomi who is shown as a white blond lady in the comic:

FWIW I agree that Serena could have handled it better, but the cartoon was racist and the treatment she received was sexist. I know Martina Navratilova wrote a piece on this as well that I read a couple days ago. She also mentioned that Serena could have handled it a different way, but she - also a women's tennis legend - admitted that there was a double standard in tennis in the way officials treat male versus female athletes. So both gripes by Serena are warranted.

She has been subjected to similar racist cartoons as well in the past and recently had an outfit banned from the French Open. She's often been policed in tennis much moreso than men players especially.
You didn't post thr political cartoon. I saw the political cartoons. Thr context is not racist or sexist. But it is perceived as such. Since it is perceived as such, than it is racist or sexist. I have seen far worse images of Serena Williams. I also hate it when men call her a man, transsexual or call her a horse. Serena is a very beautiful and fine woman physically and all around.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:19 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
I'm positive that Serena's muscles are not exaggerated in that cartoon. That is exactly how she looks, and any denial of that fact is dishonest. Her muscles are unnatural, akin to the muscles of a man, and in my opinion, for whatever reason she has it, that unnatural "woman's" physique" transgresses the boundaries of female gender definition and thus spoils any notion of fair competition women's tennis. She needs to be pi$% tested randomly and regularly.
I don't think she uses any drugs. I'm an inch taller than her, have big bones (wide hips, size 9.5 feet), and I'm 130 lbs now, but I'm pretty sure if regularly did strength exercises, I would look like her.

Yeah, yeah, most women don't have the testosterone for it, but I think my height and bone structure is a sign that I probably have high testosterone, and could easily look like the hulk if I'm not careful. She simply made it work for her.

So it's not accurate to say that it's unnatural for women to look like her.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:19 AM

10,773 posts, read 4,353,901 times
Quote:
You didn't post thr political cartoon. I saw the political cartoons. Thr context is not racist or sexist. But it is perceived as such. Since it is perceived as such, than it is racist or sexist. I have seen far worse images of Serena Williams. I also hate it when men call her a man, transsexual or call her a horse. Serena is a very beautiful and fine woman physically and all around.
Beauty is subjective, and a lot of men don't find that Mike Tyson-build attractive on a woman.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:21 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,528,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Jenkins View Post
someone made a cartoon about it
Quote:
The cartoon was not meant to be racist or sexist according to Knight. Knight himself is also a lefty and has done many jabs towards trump. People across the Anglo Saxon world are calling for Knight to be fired. Yesterday I browsed thr greatest communication community in earth. Black Twitter. People are outraged over the caricature. The big lips in my opinion is wrong, other than that. The comic just shows outrage, and comedy. Sadly thr Anglo Saxon world is in the state of culture war. While China and Russia are doing high fives and laugh at the failures of Anglo Saxon is colonization and globalization.

So why did he portray Naomi Osaka, who is Japanese and Haitian, as a seemingly blonde white woman and Serena Williams as a caricature of a black woman?

Old 09-12-2018, 10:22 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,102,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Black women can be as angry as they want, just don’t be surprised when black men continue to date outside their race.

Being black is stressful enough without the added stressor of coming home to an angry spouse.
I would say they are doing black women a favor when they date and marry outside of their race but, that's a conversation that needs it's own thread.

Anyway, black women are always labeled as angry. Speak up and give your opinion-angry, don't smile-angry, stand up for yourself-angry, breathe-angry. When a white woman speaks up or gives her opinion, it's "speaking up for what she believes in". If it's a Hispanic/Latina woman, she is "spicy" or "fiesty". It's annoying to be called an "angry black woman" when you're just expressing emotions and opinions like everyone else does.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:25 AM

10,773 posts, read 4,353,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
So why did he portray Naomi Osaka, who is Japanese and Haitian, as a seemingly blonde white woman and Serena Williams as a caricature of a black woman?
Maybe because Serena makes a big deal of being black, and keeps referring to her race during interviews....
Her color in the comic is symbolic of her own words.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:

the cartoon was posted earlier in the thread....

I also saw the cartoon a few days ago. Serena is depicted as a beastly, animalistic brute (inferior human, i.e. racist depiction - there is an historically racist tradition of depicting black women in that way starting from the 1800s).

Also, you overlooked the fact that I mentioned and reason why I posted the picture of the both of them - Osaka is depicted as white in the cartoon. She was the one who was "well behaved" (i.e superior according to the artist's depiction - she is also small and slight even though in real life she and Serena are similar in size and she is actually a bit taller than Serena) and Naomi is brown-skinned but is depicted as a white woman - same color as the umpire.

Images have racist meanings when they show a historically racist depiction. The entire figure of Serena is a sapphire black woman - historically racist. Osaka being white is akin to her being an angelic "good" figure even though she is almost as black as Serena.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:26 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
It was the same thing with Michelle Obama. I don't know why men on the internet are so catty to any women who aren't 5'2 85 lb tiny things.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
Maybe because Serena makes a big deal of being black, and keeps referring to her race during interviews....
Her color in the comic is symbolic of her own words.

LOL, if she didn't say she was black does that mean she isn't lol!

Naomi Osaka is almost as black as Serena BTW and she has corrected people who attempt to label her only as Japanese by stating that she is both Haitian and Japanese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies