Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 08:37 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
His name is Colin Kapernick.
Kaepernick actually did something political though so, for those in support, it makes sense to portray him as the hero of a cause. Serena on the other hand just threw a fit. It was only about her being frustrated at playing poorly and losing control. All of the politics is spin after the fact, by Williams herself and then hugely amplified by the media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 08:40 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Sore loser is losing sorely.

I've linked a ton of articles, facts, etc. End of the day, everyone falls into one of two camps - you either hold people accountable for their own actions, or you don't. Put me squarely in the former camp and obviously the writer of that wildly myopic oped is in the latter.

Serena's coach admits to his actions causing the first warning, and the rules of grand slam events say the player is responsible for the actions of all associated with them. She was held accountable for his actions, exactly according to the rules. There is no dispute that she smashed her racquet in frustration after having her serve broken on four straight points, an in exact accordance with the rules, she was held accountable for her own actions. She then verbally abused the chair umpire, in flagrant, glaring violation of the verbal abuse rule, and was once again held to account in exact accordance with the rules.

None of these things are in dispute. Not one. You either take the rules violations and proper penalty at face value, or you blame shift. Anyone predisposed to blame shift already eschews reason in their thinking, so why argue the point with them?

Old 09-12-2018, 08:43 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
No, just another privileged, entitled person who cant take a loss and blame it on everyone but themselves. Nothing to see here. Even if NYTimes want people to think otherwise, while they endorse corruption on a massive scale, like Andrew Cuomo, at the expense of ordinary Americans.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:48 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
i have nothing to say about black, not black, female not female.

In fact where sports is concerned I rather appreciate the player that cares and is expressive over those that aren't.

Serena can break rackets and yell at umpires all she wants. doesn't change my appreciation for her game at all.

The thing that matters... and what really isn't getting any attention.... was the fact that the initial issue that started it all, was she was receiving coaching. No one that I have seen has addressed this part. Was she? I don't know what she did but her coach has admitted to coaching her at that point. So if that was the initial issue, then there you go. this was about her getting caught and being mad about that.

That's far different from being mad about a call on the court.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:51 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
i have nothing to say about black, not black, female not female.

In fact where sports is concerned I rather appreciate the player that cares and is expressive over those that aren't.

Serena can break rackets and yell at umpires all she wants. doesn't change my appreciation for her game at all.

The thing that matters... and what really isn't getting any attention.... was the fact that the initial issue that started it all, was she was receiving coaching. No one that I have seen has addressed this part. Was she? I don't know what she did but her coach has admitted to coaching her at that point. So if that was the initial issue, then there you go. this was about her getting caught and being mad about that.

That's far different from being mad about a call on the court.
Yes, she cheated, got caught, and she responded with sexism and rage.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:52 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
No, just another privileged, entitled person who cant take a loss and blame it on everyone but themselves. Nothing to see here. Even if NYTimes want people to think otherwise, while they endorse corruption on a massive scale, like Andrew Cuomo, at the expense of ordinary Americans.
We agree on so little, I figured I should post when we do.

Your point above is what this really comes down to. This isn't Serena fighting for women's rights, black people, mothers, tennis players, anti-Ramos lynch mob'ers or anything of the sort. Here is what Serena is fighting for - there is a two caste system in America, and one of those castes lives outside any notion of laws/rules/accountability. Her "fight" is for her to be in that caste, recognized for it, and to able to enjoy the privileges and immunities thereto. She's very successful, she's rich, and the media fawns over her, so goddammit, she should enjoy he same "above the law" privileges and immunities other rich, successful people in the Above The Law caste enjoy.

How dare anyone apply the rules fairly and evenly to someone of her station? Heresy I say!

Old 09-12-2018, 08:56 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Actually, haters of Serena are just jealous of her success and hate the fact that she doesn't act like they want her to act.
possibly. unfortunately for your premise, 99%+ of those criticizing her fail to meet that mewling, pathetic definition of 'hater'.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:17 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Let's see. Serena Williams has taken the high road and left race out of it.

So leave it to the race huckstering NY Times, the king of Fake News (if you don't count CNN) to go there anyway.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:25 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Black women can be as angry as they want, just don’t be surprised when black men continue to date outside their race.

Being black is stressful enough without the added stressor of coming home to an angry spouse.
HAHAHA!!! So true. I have seen many of them raging when it wasn't called for. And it's not a pretty sight. And quite scary when it's coming from a big and physically powerful woman. Serena should realize how physically intimidating she is without having an angry face.

But... part of why she is such an amazingly great athlete is because she channels her rage into playing tennis and is so focused on hitting that ball.

An... as much as I love listening to Aretha's Respect song, I really feel that it has ruined millions of black women by empowering them to... rage. And they are so quick to rage when they think that they've been disrespected by others. Many times, it's all in their mind. But I suppose that it's all about how to survive while living in an urban ghetto street culture environment.

Otherwise... true respect is EARNED and can't be demanded, respect not an entitlement.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:31 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
possibly. unfortunately for your premise, 99%+ of those criticizing her fail to meet that mewling, pathetic definition of 'hater'.

They actually do, like Ferd mentioned - those who admire her skills don't really make a big deal to speak ill of her on things outside of her game - hear appearance, her behavior/actions, etc. They are more rational and look at the situation at hand.

The focus on how people are upset/appalled over her acting in a way that is consistent for the way she's always acted, are people who are jealous that she is getting coverage (or is rich and they are not) or they are "hating" she didn't act the way they want her to.

I started loving her because I love her play. She is very passionate. I've seen her in lots of videos and followed her for a bit on social media (the one where a dude stole her purse off a table and she chased him down the street and got it back was the funniest! lol). She seems very down to earth in her personal life and like a nice person so I love her more for that. She seems very genuine and authentic to herself, as does her sister Venus and of course they have different personalities but I love them both. And I honestly don't understand the constant criticism of Serena in particular.

I could understand people having a POV over what lead to her being upset, but it is really over the top in regards to the way people denigrate Serena over a lot of things outside of her game. There have been other threads on here about Serena and there are many articles and social media posts where "haters" hate on her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies