Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2018, 09:53 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with the underlined portion. However, I don't believe she is a "ball of rage" I think she is fiercely competitive and she likes to win and gets into her game at a higher level than others - that is why she has been so successful.

Rage does have a place when it comes to passion for one's line of work.
Yep... most top athletes are ultra intense and type A personalities, and losing their chit every once in a while is kind of a side effect of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 09:56 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Serena is a fine athlete, and possibly one of the greatest athletes to grace tennis. It is OK for her to have rage and outburst. It happens to the best of us. The thing is this. Serena lost to a far younger talent who was more agile than her. Serena also lost to another female of color. I don't know why racism and sexism is being blamed for her loss when she lost to another female and another female of color.

The racism and sexism was not about her losing - it was about the fine she received and the way that society views a male having an "outburst" versus a woman.

Oftentimes, people try to change the topic of what a specific statement/gripe is about (like saying NFL players are "protesting veterans/the flag" instead of the discriminatory criminal justice system). The same thing is happening here.

Serena's gripes are pretty relevant in this regard - the racism is from the stereotyping of Serena as being some sort of racist black sapphire caricature (the cartoon posted earlier and the statement miu made of how all black women are prone to being in a "rage" and apt to beat you up be "scary" lol). And the fact that often men tennis players have similar "outbursts" to Serena and are not fined like she was fined nor ridiculed like she has been ridiculed (with racist caricatures no less).

Old 09-12-2018, 09:57 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,427,057 times
Quote:
True - he and others insinuate that white women are passive, weakminded, push-overs -that they are preferred for these traits.

IMO they are denigrating black and white women. I know some white women who will tell you to your face about the stupid ish they think you are doing just like Serena did. I honestly don't know many weakminded, pushover white women types. But I mostly associate with business professionals other than my family members. No competent, successful women IMO who are in the business world are pushovers or weakminded or passive in any way about their work. Nor will they let a man walk all over them just because they are of a particular skin color.
Yes, most of the time I assume these so-called debaters have no personal relationship with minorities or women that they are debating about. They go by the media depictions or a one-off situation. That says more about how ridiculous they are than the people they are pointing the finger at. The only reason I bring up angry white male is to show that our society has a wide range of folks causing issues whether white, black, male or female. Some of my best battle buddies and Vietnam Vets (former active duty now at the VA) are white males. Again, it goes to show who's experience is limited and who has actually seen the world. The beautiful range of people of all colors and sexes are not reduced base on THEIR experience or environment.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:58 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
I know black women who don't date black men and black men who don't date white women. Guess what - I also know white men who don't date white women and vice versa as well!!

No reason for people to get sad over other people's dating habits. But it also is no reason of you to assume that you know why black men or black women as a whole do or don't date/marry each other because that is kind of silly to apply your generic views on millions of people's mindsets and relationships.
I was actually in Harlem some years back. I was doing speed dating with women. Black women had the longest lists of requirements. And yes I love black women. I also talk to last of black women personally, but the ones I talk to are professional, well educated types. They all tell me similar and deep issues with black men. It is hard.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:03 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,924 times
Myth?

Old 09-12-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
The racism and sexism was not about her losing - it was about the fine she received and the way that society views a male having an "outburst" versus a woman.

Oftentimes, people try to change the topic of what a specific statement/gripe is about (like saying NFL players are "protesting veterans/the flag" instead of the discriminatory criminal justice system). The same thing is happening here.

Serena's gripes are pretty relevant in this regard - the racism is from the stereotyping of Serena as being some sort of racist black sapphire caricature (the cartoon posted earlier and the statement miu made of how all black women are prone to being in a "rage" and apt to beat you up be "scary" lol). And the fact that often men tennis players have similar "outbursts" to Serena and are not fined like she was fined nor ridiculed like she has been ridiculed (with racist caricatures no less).
The cartoon was not meant to be racist or sexist according to Knight. Knight himself is also a lefty and has done many jabs towards trump. People across the Anglo Saxon world are calling for Knight to be fired. Yesterday I browsed thr greatest communication community in earth. Black Twitter. People are outraged over the caricature. The big lips in my opinion is wrong, other than that. The comic just shows outrage, and comedy. Sadly thr Anglo Saxon world is in the state of culture war. While China and Russia are doing high fives and laugh at the failures of Anglo Saxon is colonization and globalization.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:08 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
No, just another privileged, entitled person who cant take a loss and blame it on everyone but themselves. Nothing to see here. Even if NYTimes want people to think otherwise, while they endorse corruption on a massive scale, like Andrew Cuomo, at the expense of ordinary Americans.
Actually there was more at stake... that was to be a major social justice event with the celebration of a woman who had a baby come back and perform at the highest level - assuming SW supposedly winning the title.

Even with the loss - it is still an accomplishment to do what SW did in coming in second.

Osaka overturned the tables big time.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Actually there was more at stake... that was to be a major social justice event with the celebration of a woman who had a baby come back and perform at the highest level - assuming SW supposedly winning the title.

Even with the loss - it is still an accomplishment to do what SW did in coming in second.

Osaka overturned the tables big time.
Osaka performed was amazing. Both women played thier hearts out. Sadly residinghere2007 will think other wise or I'm just virtue signaling to women and black America. But to be honest. Both women played when hell of a Match.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:14 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,528,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
HAHAHA!!! So true. I have seen many of them raging when it wasn't called for. And it's not a pretty sight. And quite scary when it's coming from a big and physically powerful woman. Serena should realize how physically intimidating she is without having an angry face.

But... part of why she is such an amazingly great athlete is because she channels her rage into playing tennis and is so focused on hitting that ball.

An... as much as I love listening to Aretha's Respect song, I really feel that it has ruined millions of black women by empowering them to... rage. And they are so quick to rage when they think that they've been disrespected by others. Many times, it's all in their mind. But I suppose that it's all about how to survive while living in an urban ghetto street culture environment.

Otherwise... true respect is EARNED and can't be demanded, respect not an entitlement.
Quote:
The underlined sorry is the silliest thing I've seen posted here in a while. You do realize that Respect was not originally Aretha Franklin's song right and that it is a song that transcend race right? I don't know any America who doesn't like that song (or anyone really who doesn't like that song).

You are one of those people who easily buy into ridiculous stereotypes right - us being scary, big "physically" powerful women lol. If I were near you I'd stomp at you to see you flinch lol!! May sound mean, but it would be funny to me to see you flinch because you are afraid of black women "raging."

FYI - your views and what the OP article is actually about is a racist historically based stereotype of black women. Black women are no more prone to rage than any other women or people. Men are WAY more rage-ful than women in general.
A lot of people seem to be afraid of black women becoming angry, even when they have a legitimate reason to.

I don't follow tennis so I can't say if Serena's anger was justified or not.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:15 AM

10,775 posts, read 4,353,901 times
At the US Open this year there were 86 code violations called on men, 22 on women. Men play longer but not FOUR TIMES longer.
If only Serena was a man, then she/he could fight for men's rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies