Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2018, 04:19 PM

10,448 posts, read 4,034,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Thanks to Serena, black women are now free to rage.

Serena Williams’s Gift to Naomi Osaka, and Women, at the U.S. Open
I don't understand why people are pulling the identity politics out for this one. Wasn't the winner also a Black woman? Or was she the wrong kind of Black?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 04:22 PM

24,605 posts, read 9,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I don't understand why people are pulling the identity politics out for this one. Wasn't the winner also a Black woman? Or was she the wrong kind of Black?
She is half Japanese half Haitian. But liberals don’t care, she might as well be white.

They only care about “angry” Serena Williams and the “sexist” officiating.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:27 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,668,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Again, it is a false stereotype that black women are angry. Black women don't express anger anymore than any other women. This is a stereotype from the 19th century that you all are trying to insinuate is truth when it is not. Serena is herself. She is very competitive and "into" her play and people who are super competitive no matter their gender or ethnicity have a tendency to lose it at times while engaging in their competitive activity of choice.

I'm a black woman. I love my life, I love being American, I've been to Canada a number of times and felt the same there as I do in America - myself. You folks need to stop believing that just because someone's skin is dark tan to dark brown that they individually have a different human experience versus other people.
I'm not questioning your normalcy - however, havingy been raised in Philadelphia my experience has been that a lot of black women come across as angry. Not to say many others don't.....it's a "chip on the shoulder" type of a thing...maybe they get their back up a little too easily.

I can't admit to being up-to-date to 2018, but certainly over the past few decades I will often hear some very loud talk only to see that is a black woman being very loud. That's not always a negative - my family (Italian and Jewish) are well known for being loud. But we aren't loud in a "chip on shoulder" or "I better get my due" type of loud.

My question about other countries is relevant - in a general sort of way. Surely you see that many black women in our own media/culture/etc. are portrayed as being loud and somewhat pushy.....many people call that "being who you are". As I said, many Jews are considered the same - so are many New Yorkers in general (because they have been taught they HAVE to in order to compete with the masses)....

I will tell you a little story. My 97 yo tiny Jewish MIL is the easiest person in the world to get along with. She was raised very poor - a depression baby - and never made it out of the lower middle class. She was an attendance woman (office staff) at Overbrook High School in Philadelphia...for decades. Overbrook is/was 95% black, so of course most of the office staff was too. Decades ago she noticed that the black women in the office were treating her poorly, not sharing things and generally giving here "attitude" (which is really what we are talking about here)....now, my MIL doesn't have any attitude to give. She is a simple, but smart, woman. Eventually, she asked one of the perps why they treated her like that. I don't have the answer verbatim, but they basically told her it was because she was white....

This was/is a woman.....who if a non-racist exists, this is she. Never once heard her use a crude term about anything or anyone and, as mentioned, she lived in the "hood" of Philly with every race and nationality.

Being the type of person she is, she just bottled it up...because she was poor and needed to keep working forever. But it hurt her deeply.

This only came up about 6 years ago when we were sitting around talking about old times. She actually started crying....and this is the type of person who doesn't cry (lost her first born daughter to heart disease at 5, poor, etc.)....and she still can't imagine what she did to bring down such hate upon herself. It was sad to hear her say such things because she was really the "one" (of a very few) of that generation who wasn't raised with bigotry being a part of their being.

She still doesn't dislike black folks - in fact, she resides in a double room at the assisted living facility with a nice woman from Philly.....and they get along famously.

Sure, the story could have been the other way around too. "Cliches" are all too common in office politics and among immature humans. But the fact that it was actually expressed as them being down on her due to how she was born was deeply hurting to her.

Maybe you are lucky to have been born more recently. But, as I said, it's likely that I would be angry if I was subject to many of the injustices that this country has tended to heap upon certain peoples and classes......

Old 09-12-2018, 04:46 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Maybe the problem is the umpire was a white male .

Old 09-12-2018, 05:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Jenkins View Post
someone made a cartoon about it
And we use typical racist anchorisms and stereotypes in this political cartoon. Big lips and exaggerated thickness along with the stereotype of mad black woman. I've known a number of black women, dated a few honestly and they are as level headed white women I've known. Sorry but this cartoon is at least race-baiting if not fully racist.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:36 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And we use typical racist anchorisms and stereotypes in this political cartoon. Big lips and exaggerated thickness along with the stereotype of mad black woman. I've known a number of black women, dated a few honestly and they are as level headed white women I've known. Sorry but this cartoon is at least race-baiting if not fully racist.
So in other words it is racist to satirize or caricaturize anyone black no matter what.

Do you think the umpire's nose was really that long or his legs so thin? I guess it's racist to draw a white person that way?

Old 09-12-2018, 05:44 PM

11,340 posts, read 16,695,644 times
For those who didn't realize that John McEnroe received some serious penalties.

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/09/07/s...uspension.html

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...AND-FINES.html

Make sure you see #1 of all time. So this is far from the 1st time she has flipped.

https://www.therichest.com/rich-list...ory-of-tennis/

No question that SW is a great tennis player. But it's time that she realizes the world doesn't revolve around her. Her time has come and maybe gone. Grow up.

Last edited by camaro69; 09-12-2018 at 06:23 PM..

Old 09-12-2018, 05:55 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I'm not questioning your normalcy - however, havingy been raised in Philadelphia my experience has been that a lot of black women come across as angry. Not to say many others don't.....it's a "chip on the shoulder" type of a thing...maybe they get their back up a little too easily.

I can't admit to being up-to-date to 2018, but certainly over the past few decades I will often hear some very loud talk only to see that is a black woman being very loud. That's not always a negative - my family (Italian and Jewish) are well known for being loud. But we aren't loud in a "chip on shoulder" or "I better get my due" type of loud.

My question about other countries is relevant - in a general sort of way. Surely you see that many black women in our own media/culture/etc. are portrayed as being loud and somewhat pushy.....many people call that "being who you are". As I said, many Jews are considered the same - so are many New Yorkers in general (because they have been taught they HAVE to in order to compete with the masses)....

I will tell you a little story. My 97 yo tiny Jewish MIL is the easiest person in the world to get along with. She was raised very poor - a depression baby - and never made it out of the lower middle class. She was an attendance woman (office staff) at Overbrook High School in Philadelphia...for decades. Overbrook is/was 95% black, so of course most of the office staff was too. Decades ago she noticed that the black women in the office were treating her poorly, not sharing things and generally giving here "attitude" (which is really what we are talking about here)....now, my MIL doesn't have any attitude to give. She is a simple, but smart, woman. Eventually, she asked one of the perps why they treated her like that. I don't have the answer verbatim, but they basically told her it was because she was white....

This was/is a woman.....who if a non-racist exists, this is she. Never once heard her use a crude term about anything or anyone and, as mentioned, she lived in the "hood" of Philly with every race and nationality.

Being the type of person she is, she just bottled it up...because she was poor and needed to keep working forever. But it hurt her deeply.

This only came up about 6 years ago when we were sitting around talking about old times. She actually started crying....and this is the type of person who doesn't cry (lost her first born daughter to heart disease at 5, poor, etc.)....and she still can't imagine what she did to bring down such hate upon herself. It was sad to hear her say such things because she was really the "one" (of a very few) of that generation who wasn't raised with bigotry being a part of their being.

She still doesn't dislike black folks - in fact, she resides in a double room at the assisted living facility with a nice woman from Philly.....and they get along famously.

Sure, the story could have been the other way around too. "Cliches" are all too common in office politics and among immature humans. But the fact that it was actually expressed as them being down on her due to how she was born was deeply hurting to her.

Maybe you are lucky to have been born more recently. But, as I said, it's likely that I would be angry if I was subject to many of the injustices that this country has tended to heap upon certain peoples and classes......
Again, you are engaging in stereotypes and prejudice with this post.

Your grandmother's experiences with black women do not mean all black women have a "chip on their shoulders."

My grandmother was also a Depression baby and she was the only black person who worked as a director in "personnel" back in the 1950s-1980s at her job. She was frequently called a racist label in front of her given name. She was called a "nigg-a-rette" as well at her job and was the butt of all sorts of racist jokes by the white women she worked with.

Her experiences with white women made her distrust and dislike white people in general. She grew up in a working class home but lived around a lot of whites, as did her mother, my great grandmother. Both of them, because of their experiences with ignorant, racist, dirty/filthy white people in their neighborhoods and who they worked with - exclaimed how happy they were when I went to college at an HBCU because I wouldn't be around white people.

Their experiences are not my own. I don't think all white women are sheisty like my grandmothers did - dirty and underhanded is what they called white women - out to stab you in the back and throw you under the bus and not caring about anyone or anything but themselves - they basically considered white women to be selfish, self absorbed racist. Yet I'd personally not state these things about white women. I know a lot of white people myself and I know some that get angry, some that are dirty/underhanded and a large amount of kind and compassionate white women who also get angry about things that warrant anger.

That is the point. Serena's anger was warranted. Most people who get angry are angry for a particular reason. My grandmother was angry about being called a nigg-a-rette yet I bet all the white women at her job, like yourself, wondered why she couldn't "take a joke" or why she looked "mean" and all this silliness that people like to say about black women based probably on some black woman who has been mis streated by whites as I'm sure those black women who worked with your grandmother did. Mistrust and prejudice goes both ways. My point was and is we as women today shouldn't continue those prejudices of each other and your comments previously and this one is insinuating that black women are a generic stereotype.

I'll note I still know a lot of black women who think of white women like my grandmother did - especially the dirty/underhandedness and them being cruel people to get back at you but smiling in your face - being fake/two faced. However, I'd NEVER say that white women as a group are prone to these things like you are doing in regards to common prejudices of black women.

ETA: I am nearly 40 years old. I also dealt with a lot of white girls as a youngster who were VERY similar to how my grandmother described a majority of the girls at my school were sheisty and very cruel "mean girl" sorts of girls - this was not as common with the black girls. Black girls will talk sh*t to your face and you may fight, but they didn't torment people for days on end like the white girls did and laugh about it. So I did notice these streaks that my grandmothers spoke about; however, I decided to look at people as people and not as a generic group. I also had some good friends who were white and so I based my view of white girls/women on them, not the worst acting amongst them. FWIW those mean white girls were VERY cruel to my best friend when I was a girl, who was also white and I had to beat their a$$ about it a few times until they stopped messing with my friend. They rarely talked about me, because, I'd beat their a$$ if they did, unlike the other girls who weren't as rough as I was when I was a girl - another of my best friends was half black/half Mexican and she got horrendously bullied by this group of white girls to where she actually left our school because it was relentless. They mostly bullied her and teased her about her frizzy, what they called "napitty nap" hair and talked about how she looked like a gorilla and then would get all lovey-dovey once a teacher was around and put on a two-faced sort of personality - same thing my grandmothers spoke about. FWIW many black women still think that a lot of white women are "two faced" meaning they will be nice to your face but have these horrible thoughts about you behind your back. Interestingly, you are kind of being this way with your comments. I know enough genuinely nice white women though to know not to make vast generalizations about you all as a group. If anything black women are the opposite of two-faced in a lot of ways. We say what is on our mind and don't hold back and we won't speak ill of you behind your back to save your feelings or make you feel good. The whole "angry" black woman thing IMO is just us being genuine and not fake - something that a lot of people seem to want women to do - smile, grin and bear it, be a "good little woman" and be pretty and never do anything to make someone upset or show any emotion. I'd rather a black woman tell me how she feels versus a white woman who will put on a show of happiness then be an a$$hole behind your back.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 09-12-2018 at 06:04 PM..

Old 09-12-2018, 05:58 PM

2,178 posts, read 2,316,671 times
Quote:
Again, it is a false stereotype that black women are angry. Black women don't express anger anymore than any other women. This is a stereotype from the 19th century that you all are trying to insinuate is truth when it is not. Serena is herself. She is very competitive and "into" her play and people who are super competitive no matter their gender or ethnicity have a tendency to lose it at times while engaging in their competitive activity of choice.

I'm a black woman. I love my life, I love being American, I've been to Canada a number of times and felt the same there as I do in America - myself. You folks need to stop believing that just because someone's skin is dark tan to dark brown that they individually have a different human experience versus other people.
Most everyone just lives their lives on a day to day basis and I don't know many people at all who walk around angry all the time.

Now if you're going to go around making sense and exercising your critical thinking skills, then I'm going to just have to report you ...

Old 09-12-2018, 06:15 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,463,917 times
Quote:
I'm inclined to believe that she didn't break the rule only because of how she reacted to the call. I'm sure she is p*ssed at her coach but she cannot change the fact that any coaching is a penalty on the player. I can understand how she got angry at the whole situation.
Of course, she broke the rule because SHE is responsible for the actions of her coach.

D
oesn't matter if she didn't see or act on the coaching.

The Rule Is:
If the coach misbehaves, the player pays.
Quote:
I agree with that and feel maybe this umpire just had/has a personal dislike of Serena.
Paranoia. This never-ending belief that everyone who says she (or her team) must follow a rule dislikes her. It's BS. Ramos is known for calling these violations. Serena has been playing 20 years - she knows what these umpires are like. What did she expect - because she's Serena, Ramos won't be Ramos for that one day? Really? In what world?

Quote:
Serena's anger was warranted.
No, it wasn't. How could race or sexism be an issue when Osaka is half black/Haitian and half Japanese. She's almost as dark as Serena - her father is almost as black as Richard Williams (Serena's father) - AND - Osaka is a woman. This is a bs argument to avoid personal responsibility for bad behavior.

If Serena has racist and sexist battles to fight with the USTA and WTA - these need to be fought OUTSIDE the court.

No amount of "gracious" (bs) words uttered take away from the fact that Serena destroyed what should have been, to date, the most memorable day in Osaka's career.

Serena is way better than this and it's long past time for her to behave as the champion and role model she should be instead of exhibiting her darkest demons at a completely inappropriate time and take away the spotlight from and ruin someone else's finest hour.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-12-2018 at 06:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies