Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 07:20 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,427,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Black women can be as angry as they want, just don’t be surprised when black men continue to date outside their race.

Being black is stressful enough without the added stressor of coming home to an angry spouse.
Black men MARRY black women. Far as dating who cares? I have friends both black and white, male and female in mixed relationships and most of the time it's not because of their skin color. Most reasonable people know that. White men are killing their wives. I don't see you calling that out as angry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 07:22 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I agree.

All I saw was a great athlete lose her cool for a time, something thousands of athletes of all colors and at all levels have done time to time. Wow, she is human. Who woulda thunk it?

Nothing to see here.
The thing to see here is the reaction from mainstream liberal media, trying to spin an athletic tantrum into a heroic deed. I've never seen that before. Have you?

Old 09-12-2018, 07:25 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Default Arthur Ashe, once said, "those whom the gods wish to destroy, they first make angry'.

Have to get billy joel to re-write his lyrics to 'angry young man'.

Apparently the writer never heard Maxine waters or whoopi Goldberg go off the rails. Who were they "freeing"? Writer never heard of Arthur Ashe?

Arthur Ashe, once said, "those whom the gods wish to destroy, they first make angry'.

AA was a renown and revered black tennis player for those that might not know. Has a stadium named after him and a statue.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:27 AM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
*SIGH*

You think half of all marriages in this country end in divorce because only black women are angry?

This country exalts the disaffected “angry white male†who is a victim of aggrieved entitlement.

But god forbid that black women get angry. SMH
Are you married to a black woman?

Yup, I didn’t think so.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:27 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The thing to see here is the reaction from mainstream liberal media, trying to spin an athletic tantrum into a heroic deed. I've never seen that before. Have you?
His name is Colin Kapernick.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:32 AM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Black men MARRY black women.
Black women have the highest rates of never being married, so try again. They’re impregnating them, not marrying them.
Quote:
If you are a black woman with an advanced degree, there's a good chance you've never been married.

New research from Yale University suggests that highly educated black women are twice as likely to have never been married by the age of 45 as white women with similar education.
Black Women: Successful And Still Unmarried | WBUR News

And 80% of black women are overweight or obese
Quote:
African American women have the highest rates of being overweight or obese compared to other groups in the U.S. About four out of five African American women are overweight or obese
https://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/omh/b...lvl=4&lvlid=25

I have have statistics and facts, you have perceived generalizations. There are reasons successful black men are known to date outside their race.

I’m not sure why these facts bother you as Serena herself is married to a white man.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:34 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
She threw a tantrum, and she believed she had a right to throw a fit because she is a woman. WTF?

Old 09-12-2018, 07:39 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Black men MARRY black women. Far as dating who cares? I have friends both black and white, male and female in mixed relationships and most of the time it's not because of their skin color. Most reasonable people know that. White men are killing their wives. I don't see you calling that out as angry.
Black population marriage rate is at 29%. Its the lowest in the country. 50 Years ago black marriage was at 70%. Most black men and black women marry each other. Black men are more likely to marry out than black women. Most black women prefer a black men, but as of recently things have changed. BLack women are beginning to avoid black men due to lack of building such as, no academic background, criminal element, no financial resources, and the list goes on. This puts black women in a tough spot when it comes to picking. Due to lack of building with black women, black women will have to marry out and produce with men of other races and raise their mixed kids as pure black. On the black men front, black men don't want to be with black women because black women are not feminine enough. Also black women carry a lot of weight in their debt for going for all these degrees. I should know this, my ex and my current girlfriend are master degree holders. I find it funny that some black women advocate against white men, especially pro blacks and black feminists, yet they are in relationships and even marry white the enemy. This is what I don't understand. Why?

Old 09-12-2018, 07:41 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but I always stressed sportsmanship when I coached. It's better to lose with grace than to be remembered for temper tantrums like McEnroe.
Naomi Osaka handled herself with grace and class, her more experienced opponent threw a fit and broke her racket.

Was the tantrum about the chair judges call or was it about the frustration of being beaten? After the fact she can claim whatever she likes, but nothing she says changes the fact that we punish children for far less than smashing a tennis racket in a rage. Not a role model moment.
This isn't the first time a similar act happened, you mentioned the McEnroe situation or in another sport, Coach Bobby Knight. The problem was Knight and John McEnroe built their respective legends from these types of situations. Yet, Serena Williams is vilified and has worse words thrown at her. Could it be the climate in general, sure (in an off topic note, I'm tired of attack ads already and most are using trump like tactics on the Republican side. I cannot comment on Democratic ads because quite frankly they don't air much in AZ.) However, it could be sexist if not, racist.

I'll agree that you are trying to do right by your athletes by training them to be good sports. There are a lot of professional athletes who are just plain idiots based on on the field issues related to poor sportsmanship. However, I think at times we need to remember athletes are only human. There are times they will get too frustrated to bad referee/judge/umpire decisions and react like Serena did. I didn't watch the match, nor what happened but remember unlike McEnroe where we wouldn't show instant replay besides on television, instant replay is common in sports venues, especially the pros. I know this weekend with just two NFL games, I saw a LOT of bad calls by officials that might cause that kind of reaction by players, why because fans reacted that way over bad no-calls, blind missed calls or worse, inconsistent calls.

In closing, Serena reacted like most of us did and would do. How many times do we flip off a guy who nearly cuts off a quarter panel? I know I have a few times in the past month.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:42 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
If anything, she established the need for the the USTA needs to crack down on bad behavior on the court, for everyone. Harsher, more frequent penalties.
which reminds me - in related news, fed-up umpires are considering boycotting the ball of rage's matches:

US Open 2018 | Umpires strike back: Match officials mull boycotting Serena Williams, forming a union

Quote:
Tennis umpires are considering boycotting future matches of Serena Williams after her outburst against gold-badge official Carlos Ramos during the US Open final. According to a report in The Times, a section of umpires could refuse to officiate in a match involving Williams, until the American apologises for calling Ramos a “liar” and a “thief” and citing sexism as the reason for the three code violations she received on Saturday night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies