Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2008, 02:45 PM

200 posts, read 121,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
But bible clearly says marriage between a man and women. Since most of the US says their christian and christians follow the bible it will be a lot harder for one to convince them.
The bible also forbids people to eat shell fish, wear multi-threaded garments, and work on Sunday. Who do you think you are to make a distinction between these things and the bible's stance on homosexuality? I mean, if you follow biblical law, then you must follow it in it's entirety, rather than picking and choosing verses to subscribe to.

Furthermore, why should biblical statements be used in government legislature? This country was founded on the basis of the separation of church and state, and was not to be associated with any religious entity.

If science and the goverment was influenced by biblical mandates, we'd still believe in a flat Earth and condone slavery, treating women as second class citizens, and killing mercilessly.

Last edited by trnmeon; 04-19-2008 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 02:49 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnmeon View Post
The bible also forbids people to eat shell fish, multi-threaded garments, and work on Sunday. Who do you think you are to make a distinction between these things and the bible's stance on homosexuality. If you follow biblical law, then you must follow it in it's entirety, rather than picking and choosing verses to subscribe to.

Furthermore, why should biblical statements be used in government legislature? This country was founded on the basis of the separation of church and state, and was not to be associated with any religious entity.

If science and the goverment was influenced by biblical mandates, we'd still believe in a flat Earth and condone slavery, treating women as second class citizens, and killing mercilessly.
I think religious right fanatics will tell you that Jesus came to abolish many of the laws of the Old Testament, except for laws dealing with morality. And being against gays is OK because it has to do with morality. Maybe one of the religious right followers on here can make this more clear.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:51 PM

408 posts, read 696,158 times
Quote:

That's nothing but a bunch of religious-spun, inaccurate, and biased information.

Funny how they only mention three studies, and then mention that they were conducted by three homosexuals, as if those studies were the only bit of evidence to suggest homosexuality is biological in nature.

They failed to mention the plethora of non-biased scientific organizations who assert it is biological.

According to your source, “Gender, race and impairment all relate to what a person is, whereas homosexuality relates to what a person does.”

Obviously this person is completely ignorant in regards to...everything. Gender, race, and sexuality are all part of who a person is - they're innate characteristics. So what, heterosexuality is who someone is, but homosexuality is what someone does?

That's astoundingly stupid! I'm sorry, but on this subject Christianity is just wrong, and there seems to be a pattern of Christian beliefs being proven inaccurate accounts of reality. This is no different.
Agreed. I just read this material and I am going to have to first mention that not everyone is a Christian. I know take it in and breathe... All together I will agree with trnmeon, this is really a biased and ignorant information that someone decided was relevant. Especially in the section about who does it harm- talking about children in same-sex households, how they will be gay because that is what they are taught!! I am sorry but these people have obviously never asked a child of such a union, well I am one and I have to tell you that I am straight. Can't get enough of men

Old 04-19-2008, 02:55 PM

408 posts, read 696,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I think religious right fanatics will tell you that Jesus came to abolish many of the laws of the Old Testament, except for laws dealing with morality.And being against gays is OK because it has to do with morality. Maybe one of the religious right followers on here can make this more clear.
Hahahahahaha, so the bible teaches hate, and that hating gays is thumbs up "OK".....right .

Old 04-19-2008, 03:08 PM

200 posts, read 121,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I think religious right fanatics will tell you that Jesus came to abolish many of the laws of the Old Testament, except for laws dealing with morality. And being against gays is OK because it has to do with morality. Maybe one of the religious right followers on here can make this more clear.
Oh, I know.

The New Testament also condones slavery, yet, people everywhere agree unilaterally that slavery is wrong. So, something condoned in the New Testament is recognized as wrong by Christians and non-Christians alike, yet, homosexuality is the exception.

Actual biblical quotes:

Matthew 18:25: "But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made."

Mark 14:66: "And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:"

Ephesians 6:5-9: "Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ; Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ..."

In other words, slaves should obey their masters as they obey Christ. Nothing wrong with a little slavery, it never hurt anyone.

Let's face it - the only reason people oppose homosexuality is because they're bigoted and already homophobic - they just use the bible as a means to justify their deep-rooted hatred.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:43 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,003,007 times
Quote:

Obviously this person is completely ignorant in regards to...everything. Gender, race, and sexuality are all part of who a person is - they're innate characteristics. So what, heterosexuality is who someone is, but homosexuality is what someone does?

Homosexuality does describe what you choose to do.

When a murder murders out of urge they CHOOSE to act on the urge but did not decide to have the urge to kill.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:45 PM

646 posts, read 1,788,031 times
Quote:
Homosexuality does describe what you choose to do.

When a murder murders out of urge they CHOOSE to act on the urge but did not decide to have the urge to kill.
Your analogy isn't particularly logical. If you say that a person chooses to murder someone because they have the urge to do it, and equates that to the "choice" of homosexuality, it must be wrong. However, going back to heterosexuality, the urge to murder some people would then be ok to act on since you would murder the "right" people.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
Your analogy isn't particularly logical. If you say that a person chooses to murder someone because they have the urge to do it, and equates that to the "choice" of homosexuality, it must be wrong. However, going back to heterosexuality, the urge to murder some people would then be ok to act on since you would murder the "right" people.
Then change it to eat. Your body desires food and you CHOOSE to eat it. I desire men and CHOOSE to act on it.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:36 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Then change it to eat. Your body desires food and you CHOOSE to eat it. I desire men and CHOOSE to act on it.
By that analogy, would you prefer the hungry to starve rather than act on an impulse because of who that impulse might offend?

Old 04-20-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
By that analogy, would you prefer the hungry to starve rather than act on an impulse because of who that impulse might offend?
What are you talking about no where did i say anything about offending.

Everything in life is a choice except how you were born. You do not choose to be black or white. You do not choose to have urges to be with the same sex however you do choose to act on those urges. Really people it is very simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies