Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2018, 01:21 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,458,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don’t make anyone feel stuck between anything. That’s their own personal issue.

And yeah...outsiders, shoehorn, and club. 100%.

And it doesn’t matter what you know about what club I’m in. I know, and I know who I speak for.

Oh yeah WE!

Anything else?
LMAO What else would there be? Your door is shut. You're leaving a lot of good people out of that club but it's not my business. Enjoy the reality you create for yourself, and I'll enjoy mine. We all create what we want to see, you see a small exclusive club forbidden to outsiders of your choosing, and I see a great big world. To each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 01:26 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,424,779 times
Quote:
I did answer you. Black folks know what makes someone black. We know our own people.

If you were black, you’d know too. But you aren’t, so there’s no need for you to bother with it. Bottom line is we’re not gonna let you shoe horn someone into our community that doesn’t belong here. We say who is and isn’t black....not outsiders.
You did not answer; what makes someone black?

Who is "we"? Have you been elected to speak for the black community or something? Can I blame you and the community every time a black person commits a crime? Or are you not a community when that occurs, only a community when a cop shoots a black person?

Old 10-02-2018, 01:28 PM

18,508 posts, read 9,183,958 times
Quote:
I did answer you. Black folks know what makes someone black. We know our own people.

If you were black, you’d know too. But you aren’t, so there’s no need for you to bother with it. Bottom line is we’re not gonna let you shoe horn someone into our community that doesn’t belong here. We say who is and isn’t black....not outsiders.
I grew up in a a fringe religious sect that had the same basic worldview: our group vs. outsiders. Instead of skin color, the criterion was religious belief.

Why do we humans insist on dividing into groups and fighting against each other? Is it raw instinct? I guess that’s why the professional sports business makes so much money. We love to get into groups and play “us vs. them” games. It’s almost like it’s in our DNA. And occasionally, that instinct leads to outright warfare (aka organized murder). It’s insane.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:50 PM

15,652 posts, read 10,415,992 times
If I was this man, I would definitely use my 4% DNA black ancestry to gain any and all benefits available to people with minority status under affirmative action law. He is part minority according to his DNA which is more definitive than a man with only male XY DNA who identifies as female and, therefore, under the law is female even if this 'female' looks like a linebacker in a dress and high heels with a five o'clock shadow.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 10-02-2018 at 02:21 PM..

Old 10-02-2018, 03:11 PM

13,985 posts, read 5,647,020 times
Elizabeth Warren claims her great-great-great-grandmother was Cherokee, making her 1/32 Cherokee, which let her identify as "Native American" for her employment at Harvard as "minority faculty" or "faculty of color." And her "proof" is stories her mom and dad told her plus having high cheekbones. She wanted the favoritism in the workplace reserved for minorities, so she invented a Native American identification and half this country defends her with every breath they have.

The man in this example is claiming a higher percentage than Warren, and nobody seems to give Fauxcahontas any grief over her Native American self-identification.

According to the 1/32nd rule, he is African American or at least can claim he is, and he should be defended with more vigor than Warren

EDIT - and moreover, if people can use makeup, drugs and surgical manipulation to "change" their sexual identity (which does not in any way alter the biological fact of which gender they actually are), and the public simply MUST accept their self-identification, then why can't a person who is 4% black decide to identify as a black person? A transsexual is 0% the gender the choose because their DNA says so, yet the law says they must be accommodated according to their self-identification, so I'd think if 0% qualifies you under self-identification, then 4% should.

Last edited by Volobjectitarian; 10-02-2018 at 03:22 PM..

Old 10-02-2018, 03:18 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,677,358 times
Lol. Well, whites did come up with the stupid “one drop” rule, amongst other preposterous racial definitions, like 3/5ths a man... please.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:27 PM

9,444 posts, read 11,195,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
What a dope. He's lived his entire life - all 55 years as a white man. He's encountered little to no discrimination based on the color of his skin. But because some paper says he's 4% black he's going to cash in on programs intended for those who do face discrimination.

I'm embarrassed for him.
No, he's wanting to take advantage of tax-dollar giveaways. I identify as Neptunian, I have many gifts from you Earthling taxpayers due me!

Old 10-02-2018, 03:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,248,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I have quoted you several times because while I do not fully understand your view, I find it interesting.

To start we agree on the basics, especially with the Bruce Jenner example.
The guy in the story is probably not doing anything in his life related to being black (i.e. food, music, dress/style, etc.) and just intends on using his test to try and break through the AA rubbish of getting a contract based on race.

As to whites being more willing to embrace black culture, this I need to ask a few questions about.
Back in the day, black culture, say in the 1950's seemed to be very similar to American culture regarding love of family, God, country, etc.
Most black folks my parents knew talked about the exact same things everyone else did. How is little Johnny doing in school, needing a new roof on the church, issues within a marriage, you name it.
From an entertainment standpoint many whites appreciated Jazz, Blues, and adult contemporary from black artists because of their talent. This was not even considered accepting black culture because it was more the norm than viewing it as outside the mainstream.

So my question relates to what you said about it being good that whites are more accepting of black culture. What specifically are you referring to?

I think you took that posters comment wrong. Dolezal as a white person could have done XYZ just as easily so long as the powers that be allowed her to within groups like the NAACP.
Instead, what they/people mean about her being a kook was pretending to be black, trying to change her appearance to look black (think Michael Jackson in reverse), and claiming she was black. When I first heard about it I didn't know or care, as she might have been a mulatto for all I knew. However when he white parents came out and said she was totally white and showed pictures of her pre-identifying as black, it became clear she had a few screws loose.
The same is obviously true of MJ which of course ended very sadly.

I even forget what context the poster you replied to meant their comment.
Regardless, the black folks that I know and feel comfortable hanging around embrace the same values regardless of the color of their skin. They work, send their kids to school, and appreciate living in this great country.
Now some of it might be related to education, but even the ones I have known who are not that educated still embrace the traditional American values of trying to get ahead, and knowing this country, above all others affords us all those type of opportunities.

On a side note, while I am waiting for Rocko20 to respond, there is a story I'd like to get you take on. A guy that worked at the same place (but in a different field) I did would talk with me when it was slow. We mainly talked about sports, but also shot the breeze about general things. He was a security guard, but he was always talking about his other part time jobs and wanting to go back to school as well.

One late night he confided to me that he did not have many black friends anymore. It seemed like a strange thing to say, but it was obviously bugging him.
He went on to say that most of his old friends had started to criticize him for "acting white" because he was "working for the man" and other such nonsense. After listening to his story I came to the conclusion that they were just acting jealous of his getting ahead. He agreed, and more or less had come to the same conclusion.
Still, he said that didn't help the problem of him not being able to have things like they use to be with his old buds.

So being a reasoned black person, what is your view as to why some blacks deride others, and use a racial component to try and make them feel bad?
`
I don’t know what your friend’s problem is with other black folks. I don’t have those problems.

The only issue I have is that he came to you with it. That’s a no-no. That’s weak, and sad. I’d never do anything like that. I don’t discuss intra-black issues with non blacks...ever. That’s how I was raised and I still adhere to that rule. Whatever issues I have with fellow blacks will be dealt with among other blacks only. I don’t vent to outsiders.

So really, I don’t want to speculate on what his problem is. Yeah, we deride other blacks Intermittently, but there are reasons for that. Some good, and some bad....and I dont always endorse it. It’s situational. Blacks that work with people outside of the community to try and give the community a black eye will always face stiff derision...and I’ll participate in it.

But that’s all I’ll say about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
LMAO What else would there be? Your door is shut. You're leaving a lot of good people out of that club but it's not my business. Enjoy the reality you create for yourself, and I'll enjoy mine. We all create what we want to see, you see a small exclusive club forbidden to outsiders of your choosing, and I see a great big world. To each his own.
You’re talking to a man that lived in Europe for 13 years and speaks 2 European languages (German & Italian) with conversational fluidity. I’m as worldly as it gets. I have a degree in International Studies (and Poli-Sci)

My door is far from shut. However, I know who I am and who I belong to first and foremost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
You did not answer; what makes someone black?

Who is "we"? Have you been elected to speak for the black community or something? Can I blame you and the community every time a black person commits a crime? Or are you not a community when that occurs, only a community when a cop shoots a black person?
You can do whatever you want! You really think that I’m bothered by you extrapolating a single bad action over a whole community? LMAO...hell, black folks have been dealing with that attitude since we walked off the slavery ships. That’s nothing new.

You certainly don’t need my permission to be prejudicial. Besides, you were doing it anyway no matter what I say.

We don’t have to all like each other to live in this country. I’m fine with being disliked and held in circumspection. We’ve just gotta respect each other’s position. I won’t have my toes stepped on, and I’ll be sure not to step on yours. That’s all that’s required. Your thoughts are none of my concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I grew up in a a fringe religious sect that had the same basic worldview: our group vs. outsiders. Instead of skin color, the criterion was religious belief.

Why do we humans insist on dividing into groups and fighting against each other? Is it raw instinct? I guess that’s why the professional sports business makes so much money. We love to get into groups and play “us vs. them” games. It’s almost like it’s in our DNA. And occasionally, that instinct leads to outright warfare (aka organized murder). It’s insane.
It is insane, but I didn’t create the existential social state of this country. I’d love to sing Kumbaya, but people don’t want that, and I’m not gonna force it on people. If folks wanna be partisan, then I’m taking up the sword too. I don’t want it to be this way, but IT IS this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
If I was this man, I would definitely use my 4% DNA black ancestry to gain any and all benefits available to people with minority status under affirmative action law. He is part minority according to his DNA which is more definitive than a man with only male XY DNA who identifies as female and, therefore, under the law is female even if this 'female' looks like a linebacker in a dress and high heels with a five o'clock shadow.
Yeah, ok. You can advocate for him doing that all you want. But I’mma tell you what you’re NOT gonna do...

Just because you Conservatives are pyssed about this transgender thing and you’ve seemingly lost that battle, you’re NOT gonna take it out on the African American community and try to force non blacks into our community and expect us to accept them. Ain’t gonna happen. Forget about it. No chance.

To be legitimately black in this country, you must be susceptible to every facet of black life...highs and lows. And by lows I mean the very lows. If you can hop in and out of your black costume at your caprice, then you’re not in the tribe, and we don’t identify with you and don’t really trust you. And we’ll make that known too...right in the imposter’s face. We won’t hide it.

Other African Americans here on CD are too nice and polite to tell you what I just said...but they know I’m right.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:53 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,395,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Lol. Well, whites did come up with the stupid “one drop” rule, amongst other preposterous racial definitions, like 3/5ths a man... please.
The State did that through edicts.

Do you subscribe to the State's authority to do so? If yes, you're in the game.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:38 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,580,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
YES. Literally any white guy can be considered black.

In the age where men self-identify as women, you would have to be an idiot to not let white people self-identify as black people and vice versa .

I self-identify as a rich oil Arabian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies