Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 09:45 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,618,080 times

Advertisements

Not a liberal, but I will try to answer some of your questions.

I think some of them might be armed civilians, but I don't think majority of them are armed.

I think if they need immediate medical attention, then we should give it to them. No more/less.

I think the people who want to let them in should be PERSONALLY responsible for taking care of them. I am not saying this to be mean, I believe taxpayers should have more control over how their tax dollars are spent. So let's vote. If you vote Yes, let them in, then you are PERSONALLY responsible for taking care of them.

Last but not the least, I do feel sorry for these people. I watched some interviews, many of these people seem to be nice folks.

However, I think human nature is that the people making demands will make more demands until you have to put on a show of force anyway, but a more panicked and disorganised show of force. So The United States needs to get tough or the country will end up no better than some third world countries.

Lots of excellent people have tried to make the immigration process fairer and more humane, and I whole-heartedly support them. Until we figure out what to do with these people, they must follow the current law and we must enforce our existing law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 10:05 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,195,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
In 2016, approximately 10.3 million people worked in the construction industry in the United States.

In 2014, illegals accounted for 15% of those jobs.

In farming, they held 26% of the jobs.

Just because some of you want to pretend this doesn't impact Americans doesn't mean the rest of us are buying it.
Yes, it depresses wages, sleezy business owners profit, and they send their wages out of country tax free. We need workers for these tough jobs and they do great work but we have to have them come legally. This is abusing the system

Old 10-31-2018, 10:46 PM

18,744 posts, read 7,617,731 times
Default Now there are FOUR separate mob caravans coming into and through Mexico, heading for U.S.

Now there are FOUR separate mob caravans coming into and through Mexico, heading for U.S.

Looks like a lot of people in Mexico and countries south of Mexico, were inspired by the huge caravan that has been proceeding through Mexico with little apparent problem, with the stated intention of invading the United States.

The big one is still coming. And there are now three more forming up and heading this way.

Looks like we elected Donald Trump just in time. They seem to be trying to make him chicken out and renege on his promises to not let them in without the proper background checks, health exams, visas and other legally-mandated procedures. This would have been easy to accomplish with previous Presidents. We may soon see if President Trump is any different.

They have halted now, and are waiting for buses to take them from Juchitan to Mexico City. Organizers say, "If the buses materialize....."

But buses don't just "materialize". They have to be arranged, in great numbers, and paid for. And they are not cheap. Who is doing that arranging and paying? And why?

According to the article, they hope to ride at least as far as Mexico City, 460 miles closer to the U.S. border, and even all the way to the U.S. border. Riding just to Mexico City would add almost twice the distance, to what they have already walked through Mexico so far (280 miles).

-----------------------------------------

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/w...-buses-n929391

Weary migrant caravan rests in south Mexico, asks for buses
Oct. 31, 2018 / 1:55 PM PDT
By Associated Press

JUCHITAN, Mexico — Thousands of Central American migrants in a caravan that has already advanced 250 miles into Mexico hope they won't have to walk anymore, at least for a while.

Red Cross personnel on Wednesday bandaged the swollen feet of Honduran farmer Omar Lopez in the southern city of Juchitan, where the caravan was paused for the day. "We are waiting to see if they are going to help us out with buses, to continue the trip," said Lopez, 27.

Organizers say the buses, if they do materialize, would take the estimated 4,000 migrants to Mexico City for meetings with legislators, not to the still-distant U.S. border, though some would probably continue to the border after reaching the capital.

(snip)

But the first caravan — which planned to take a day of rest Wednesday in Juchitan, about 900 miles from the nearest U.S. border crossing — is only the start. A second, smaller group of 1,000 or so migrants who forced their way into Mexico on Monday was trailing some 250 miles back. They spent Tuesday night in the city of Tapachula.

Behind them, a third group of migrants from El Salvador had already made it to Guatemala, and on Wednesday a fourth group of about 700 Salvadorans set out from the capital, San Salvador, with plans to walk to the U.S. border, 1,500 miles away.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

Last edited by Roboteer; 10-31-2018 at 11:18 PM..

Old 10-31-2018, 10:47 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,269,829 times
The only caravan I worry about is the flock of sheep that follow Trump. Baaahhhh.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:08 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Not a liberal, but who is advocating for that? Most sane people just want them processed through official refugee channels. Which can include denying them entry if they are not approved.
That's all well and good when you have 15 people lined up to come in and you have 10 officers serving them. They are flooding the system. It reminds of Denial of Service attack in cyber. They can bring down Amazon, and have. There is no way you can conduct a proper asylum proceedings under this chaos. Why in the world they aren't they asked to apply at a US consulate? Storming the gates is not the best way to apply for a visa?

Old 10-31-2018, 11:11 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,260,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
That's all well and good when you have 15 people lined up to come in and you have 10 officers serving them. They are flooding the system. It reminds of Denial of Service attack in cyber. They can bring down Amazon, and have. There is no way you can conduct a proper asylum proceedings under this chaos. Why in the world they aren't they asked to apply at a US consulate? Storming the gates is not the best way to apply for a visa?
Their numbers are a mere fraction of what we get on a monthly basis. You know that right?

Old 10-31-2018, 11:25 PM

3,843 posts, read 1,789,905 times
I'm glad Trump is sending our troops to the border, should have been done a long time ago. Four caravans are now heading here, obviously we want to have secure border.

It isn't right wing to want to enforce what a border means and it isn't only Trump supporters, these labels are untrue. Not so long ago democrats also wanted a secure border.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Their numbers are a mere fraction of what we get on a monthly basis. You know that right?
And you didn not answer my question. You know that, right?

Old 10-31-2018, 11:37 PM

Surprise! SOmebody else has figured it out too except that they thought this is going to hurt Trump.

Interior Secretary Alfonso Navarrete says "the fact that this is being done at a time when there are election campaigns in the country they're headed for, that's not a coincidence, that's not chance, that's the reason why."

Old 10-31-2018, 11:39 PM

Navarrete told a news conference Wednesday that "Here we are talking about a humanitarian crisis of a lack of jobs, a lack of opportunities, and the use by third parties of a vulnerable population group like the migrants."

He did not specify who those third parties were, but said "I have talked about there being people tied to criminal activities who have infiltrated the caravan ... we have detained some."

Trump right again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies