Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 04:03 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,597,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Apparently, a majority of the electorate in Montana either feel that Gianforte’s response to the reporter’s provocation — which went way beyond his juvenile smirk — was appropriate, or not worthy of a contemptuous dismissal like yours. Their life, cultural, and history is not like that of the coastal elite, and applying the standards of the feminized chattering class to Big Sky folks is an exercise in incongruity.
Or maybe they became "elite" by realizing that there's a better way to deal with pushy reporters (giving you the benefit of the doubt) than assaulting them. Maybe they attract talent precisely because physical attacks against those with pointed questions is not the best way to deal with people. Last time I checked, the people open to new ideas about how to bring about a less unjust world, build a better app, etc. are more attracted to Seattle and Portland than to Montana.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:07 PM

1,316 posts, read 747,690 times
Quote:
Apparently, a majority of the electorate in Montana either feel that Gianforte’s response to the reporter’s provocation — which went way beyond his juvenile smirk — was appropriate, or not worthy of a contemptuous dismissal like yours. Their life, cultural, and history is not like that of the coastal elite, and applying the standards of the feminized chattering class to Big Sky folks is an exercise in incongruity.

Lolsies. That is such bunk. Come on. If you are elected (or hope to be elected) in any capacity, you'd best be able to address tough questions. If Gianforte is such a delicate flower that he cannot, well, that's too bad. His action doesn't speak to toughness. It speaks to being afraid, being unable to think on one's feet, and being an all-around baby. Tough people answer hard questions and don't start swinging the second things get difficult.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Lolsies. That is such bunk. Come on. If you are elected (or hope to be elected) in any capacity, you'd best be able to address tough questions. If Gianforte is such a delicate flower that he cannot, well, that's too bad. His action doesn't speak to toughness. It speaks to being afraid, being unable to think on one's feet, and being an all-around baby. Tough people answer hard questions and don't start swinging the second things get difficult.
You gotta understand, though. Their criteria for toughness (read: admirability) is based on surliness, aggression, and an ability to physically (or at least personally) kick ass and take names. You know, kind of like this character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ-vdIJbBJU

Old 10-20-2018, 04:15 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Yes, we do. He said, 'Any guy that can do a body slam — he's my guy.' He said that about Gianforte's assualt. So, he's condoning it. He's said worse. He's encouraged this idea that punching someone in the face or roughing someone up is the appropriate way to deal with people who disagree with him. He's condoning it by praising Gianforte in this respect. It's really low class. Seriously.

Let's see.....
  • Trump makes joke .... 'Any guy that can do a body slam — he's my guy.'
  • NPC .... Express indignant anger & outrage. "Trump encourages violence including punching and roughing up someone to settle disputes".
You get now, hopefully, why nobody is listening.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:18 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,970,964 times
Quote:

Let's see...
Uninvited, Unwanted Reporter: Mr. Gianforte, I have a question I would like you to answer.
Greg Gianforte: I don't have time right now, I'll talk to you later.
UUR: Later won't do, I have to have an answer now.
GG: Talk to my staffer, he can answer your question.
UUR: I don't want to talk to any of your staff, I want YOU to answer the question!
GG: Get the hell out of here!
UUR: Just answer the question. Is that too much to ask?
GG: I am sick of you people. I already told you, get the hell out of here!
(a scuffle ensues, during which the UUR falls or is knocked down.)
UUR: (screaming) YOU BODY SLAMMED ME AND BROKE MY GLASSES!

It is true, the reporter received very little sympathy from Montanans. Many Montanans still believe trespassers should be shot!
It is also true that the reporter WAS trespassing!

Old 10-20-2018, 04:23 PM

318 posts, read 467,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
And the crowd cheered.

“Any guy that can do a body slam, he’s my kind of — he’s my guy,” Trump said as he openly praised Rep. Greg Gianforte (R-Mont.) for assaulting a reporter last year.

This, may I add, as the world is watching the events surrounding the gruesome murder of a reporter.

Shameful!
Many things are "shameful" but President Trump's comments are not.

I have noticed that many of my pro Trump posts, get deleted. Now that is Shameful.

Corpgypsy, Let's go and ask the families of those Marines killed at Bengazhi and the family of Ambassador Chris Stevens what "Shameful" means to them.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:28 PM

57,253 posts, read 26,186,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Let's see.....
  • NPC .... Express indignant anger & outrage. "Trump encourages violence including punching and roughing up someone to settle disputes".
Makes me proud that a president can make light of an assault on a reporter.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Let's see.....

"It's all a joke". Apparently you have a great deal of difficulty distinguishing between legitimate humor and demeaning behavior. Next time the coastal elites make a joke at your expense, even if its based on "non-branching family trees" and such stuff, I'll just howl in knee-slapping delight. "Those dumb hicks deserved it". Right?

No? Well, you yourself admit that not all humor is legitimate (then there's the matter of whether having no sense of humor is as horrible a trait as demeaning the dignity of others, which I don't even agree with that much).

Old 10-20-2018, 04:45 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
"It's all a joke". Apparently you have a great deal of difficulty distinguishing between legitimate humor and demeaning behavior. Next time the coastal elites make a joke at your expense, even if its based on "non-branching family trees" and such stuff, I'll just howl in knee-slapping delight. "Those dumb hicks deserved it". Right?

No? Well, you yourself admit that not all humor is legitimate (then there's the matter of whether having no sense of humor is as horrible a trait as demeaning the dignity of others, which I don't even agree with that much).

Coastal elites? hahahahahahahahaahahahahaha

Dear, I live in the very blue city of Charlotte and drive a $120K Mercedes. But if it helps you to think I'm a "hee haw dumb hick" then that only speaks to the NPC meme. Stop casting hate on so many millions of Americans too.

Here's a tip. Drop the false outrage. Nobody believes that either, when you can completely ignore far far worse when it suits your needs.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:49 PM

1,316 posts, read 747,690 times
Quote:
Let's see.....

And when the right makes calls for civility, it's laughable.

That wasn't a joke, you know. He may have meant it in a "lighthearted" way, I guess, but it wasn't a joke. This idea that you can say something truly awful and then defend it by saying it's a joke is the territory of bullies and idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies