Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Megyn Kelly keep her show?
Yes 162 66.67%
No 81 33.33%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 12:45 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
What about clowns painted in whiteface? Raaaacist.
I have seen black people wearing white face on Halloween and not as clowns. I don't know what they were suppose to be but all the white people just ignored it.

Many white people are conditioned or just peculiar that they don't mind or recognize racism against them, but are overly concerned about racism against others.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:45 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times
If Al Roker had said this there wouldn't be a controversy. Whites are excluded from saying things that blacks can say all the time. Apparently the color of one's skin gains you entrance to an exclusive club of "anything said goes". I've watched docu's where the most offensive way for one black to hurt another black if the former is angry at the latter is to call them the "n" word. But blacks can call whites cracker, honky all day long and not raise an eyebrow. It's definitely a one-way street, but given the oppression blacks underwent for 3 centuries in this country I think whites give them a pass, understandably so.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:54 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm 32 years old. I learned about blackface in the early 2000s. It's hard for me to accept age as a reason. And with people even younger than me engaging in blackface, I'm very skeptical as to believe age is the issue.
I never knew about "black face" until I took a drama class as one of my electives in college to lighten the load that I had with all the other classes I was taken there were not easy.

I was 22 years old. Not once were we taught that in school.

It was the drama teacher who explained the history of Hollywood - black face, NDNs...and how it is now illegal for anyone to portray an NDN in a movie if they are not actually NDN. She showed us some old films, which is the only reason I even know how they painted their faces and how they acted - it was totally disgusting, to that I agree. They painted their faces black...or at least that's how it appeared in black and white film. And they opened their eyes really wide, like they were trying to make their eyes look like they were bugging out, and they acted incredibly stupid, as if all black people were uneducated fools. Had I not taken that class, I don't know if I would have known, because I don't recall ever seeing it again.

Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon, being entertainers, should have known that, or some producer somewhere along the way should have known that and not allowed it to happen. Yet...no one stood up and said anything to them. If there was something like that, I'd like to see it.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 10-27-2018 at 01:37 PM..

Old 10-27-2018, 01:10 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,013,281 times
Actor Tom Hanks was also involved in a 'blackface' video. The video quality is terrible, but apparently the charge was accurate. He apologized profusely. Since he's a big Democratic donor, it was accepted all around and was not ripped as being a racist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOn7Xq0qnGY

I don't see her comment as at all indication racism, but rather stupidity, just as the 'monkey up' comment by FL Gov. candidate Ron DeSantis. He was stupid to say that, but it does not show him to be a racist.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:30 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You are entitled to feel however you want, but your unreasonable feelings should not dictate what others can say, do and what they meant. I would suggest you are too wrapped up in all things related to and beneficial to your race. I honestly don't see how your mentality and motivation and intolerance of those that differ is any different in principle to a white supremacist's or neo-Nazi's.
No amount of gaslighting on your part is going to change my stance. Period. What I feel is what I feel and there is nothing you can do about that. If it bothers you, well, it is what it is.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
No amount of gaslighting on your part is going to change my stance. Period. What I feel is what I feel and there is nothing you can do about that. If it bothers you, well, it is what it is.
Claiming "gaslighting" is not a response. I did not gaslight at all. I specifically made my point clearly and you totally failed to address any of it. I can only assume you have no valid response other than to agree with my point. You feel what you feel. Why should anyone care about your self-serving and selfish and unreasonable feelings when you condemn others for theirs?

Old 10-27-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Claiming "gaslighting" is not a response. I did not gaslight at all. I specifically made my point clearly and you totally failed to address any of it. I can only assume you have no valid response other than to agree with my point. You feel what you feel. Why should anyone care about your self-serving and selfish and unreasonable feelings?
You are gaslighting. You are using manipulation to try and make me question my own feelings about this situation. I have a problem with blackface. I would be hurt if someone I admired and respected did anything like that. You respond by claiming "you only care what's good for Blacks". You are essentially gaslighting me for having a problem with blackface. I was not having a debate with you. You were resorting to manipulation.

Why should you care? Well, anyone with any kind of decency would understand that the whole blackface thing is inherently bigoted.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
You are gaslighting. You are using manipulation to try and make me question my own feelings about this situation. I have a problem with blackface. I would be hurt if someone I admired and respected did anything like that. You respond by claiming "you only care what's good for Blacks". You are essentially gaslighting me for having a problem with blackface. I was not having a debate with you. You were resorting to manipulation.

Why should you care? Well, anyone with any kind of decency would understand that the whole blackface thing is inherently bigoted.
I am not gaslighting or manipulating. I'm saying just because you don't like something or see something a certain way doesn't mean someone else has to not like it and see it the same way. Do you want me to dictate what you can or can't do or say based on what feels right to me? No you do not, so you have no grounds to stand on.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I am not gaslighting or manipulating. I'm saying just because you don't like something or see something a certain way doesn't mean someone else has to not like it and see it the same way. Do you want me to dictate what you can or can't do or say based on what feels right to me? No you do not, so you have no grounds to stand on.
Actually, what you were saying that my feelings were unreasonable.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:27 PM

34,237 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Actually, what you were saying that my feelings were unreasonable.
You're feelings are your feelings. They can't be "unreasonable". However, your positions, and some thoughts about other may be. I don't think anyone is trying to gaslight you. I think you just don't like the opinion of others in which you disagree, and that is your right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies