Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Megyn Kelly keep her show?
Yes 162 66.67%
No 81 33.33%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 03:26 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Definitely agree. The leading cause of problems in society in general is broken families and broken moral values. African American communities have been particularly hard-hit. Fatherlessness is a epidemic. And sure, it's getting worse in white, Hispanic and Asian communities. But you tend to find the highest crime rates wherever you find the most fatherlessness and fatherlessness is far more prevalent in black communities than any other demographic. A mother and a father plus a community supporting and encouraging them -- that's what you need to make any and all kids grow up to be good people as adults. So how do we get there?? To be honest, I want to help and have no idea how.

This is where the new culture and Third Wave Feminism are of no service to African Americans at all. Women are told they don't need a man or marriage. They're taught to be selfish and self-serving. The men are learning the same thing. The black community is in many ways the canary in the coal mine for where our culture is headed. Everyone putting themselves first and building cohesive families and communities leads to chaos, crime, mass-incarceration and death on a horrific scale.

As to black history, this is tricky. Africa, mostly by shear dumb luck, ended up being the least advanced place in the ancient world. It was just as likely to be Northern Europe or Central Asia, truth be told. Going all the way back to the ancient Egyptians, black Africa was "that place where you go to get slaves." The powerful civilizations of Mesopotamia did the same thing. The Greeks, the Romans, they all did it to. The Islamic world imported far more slaves than the West, but for some reason history books told tell you that. Swahili -- a cross between Arabic and several indigenous African languages -- became the most commonly spoken language in Sub-Saharan Africa. After being culturally dominated by the Muslim world, on came the Europeans. They took a lot of slaves, often using the established slave markets that had been selling to Muslims, and the Europeans dominated the continent. For reasons I can only guess at, the lines on the map in Sub-Saharan Africa today are still the lines on a map that Europeans put there. You have several bright spots where Africans did big things. Mansa Musa, Shaka Zulu, the Great Zimbabwe, etc. But for the most part, there's not much of a story to be told and that is incredibly frustrating. Most of African history is a story of Africans being dominated by people from elsewhere. That hasn't changed much to this day. I don't know that you'll glean much wisdom from Sub-Saharan Africa. The place is a mess.

The only thing you can ever do is to do everything within your power to make things better. Honestly, less focus on being offended by other demographics and groups and more focus on just improving black America from within is exactly what the doctor ordered. There's always going to be some racist a-holes. Why waste time and energy on them?

I think its always important, when talking about things like how much worse fatherless homes are in the black community, to at least offer a speculation on why that exists. It's certainly not an intrinsic or organic characteristic of the "race". Like you correctly mentioned, fatherless homes have gotten a lot worse in the white community as well. Indeed, in the 50's the rate was about 4% for white families and it's about 30% today. The rate was about 25% for blacks in the 50's and 75% today. What's my point? The point is that the original gap between black rates and whites rates was established under and due to racial oppression and has simply been preserved through the decades, getting worse for both groups because of what is going on in American culture in general and not a race in particular.

In regards to Africa, one does not need to compare themselves to others to feel good about themselves. Can you feel good about yourself as an individual notwithstanding other individuals accomplishing much more in life than you? The fact that European societies were "more advanced" than African societies means nothing to me. The only true success in nature.....is BEING HERE! Right? Five hundred years ago Europe was more advanced than Africa. None of those people are alive today. None of the Africans are alive from 500 years ago today. Europeans are here today, Africans are still here today. If you are HERE....you are WINNING. I just want to know about MY history and that makes me feel connected.

Black people have to affirm themselves and believe in themselves and not buy into or co-opt a system that perpetuates a belief in white supremacy with the corollary of black inferiority.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:31 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think its always important, when talking about things like how much worse fatherless homes are in the black community, to at least offer a speculation on why that exists. It's certainly not an intrinsic or organic characteristic of the "race". Like you correctly mentioned, fatherless homes have gotten a lot worse in the white community as well. Indeed, in the 50's the rate was about 4% for white families and it's about 30% today. The rate was about 25% for blacks in the 50's and 75% today. What's my point? The point is that the original gap between black rates and whites rates was established under and due to racial oppression and has simply been preserved through the decades, getting worse for both groups because of what is going on in American culture in general and not a race in particular.

In regards to Africa, one does not need to compare themselves to others to feel good about themselves. Can you feel good about yourself as an individual notwithstanding other individuals accomplishing much more in life than you? The fact that European societies were "more advanced" than African societies means nothing to me. The only true success in nature.....is BEING HERE! Right? Five hundred years ago Europe was more advanced than Africa. None of those people are alive today. None of the Africans are alive from 500 years ago today. Europeans are here today, Africans are still here today. If you are HERE....you are WINNING. I just want to know about MY history and that makes me feel connected.

Black people have to affirm themselves and believe in themselves and not by into a system that perpetuates a belief in white supremacy with the corollary of black inferiority.
No that's just scapegoating whites for things blacks have more of a tendency to do all other things equal.

Whites are becoming more like blacks because whites are under negative black influences and racial oppression. See I can scapegoat too.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:49 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,902,291 times
No, she shouldn't keep her show. Whether or not one agrees with her right to say what she said is irrelevant, NBC has to worry about its ratings, and having a host say something that a significant amount of people think is absurd or worse, its not worth the risk to their business. Sometimes there are consequences to offending a significant amount of people, whether or not I personally am offended doesn't matter.

Of course I personally don't find Kellys words to be offensive, but then again, I'm a white guy, if I was black, I probably wouldn't appreciate what she said. Blackface is obviously a racist thing to do with very racist origins. I could see some young person who is naive about the history of blackface and do it not intending racism, but I don't really think that is the case here. There is a large enough percentage of our population who are still alive who lived through the times when blackface was used often enough to still have a strong emotional connection to it, and I do think it is disrespectful to do blackface at all.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:59 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
No, she shouldn't keep her show. Whether or not one agrees with her right to say what she said is irrelevant, NBC has to worry about its ratings, and having a host say something that a significant amount of people think is absurd or worse, its not worth the risk to their business. Sometimes there are consequences to offending a significant amount of people, whether or not I personally am offended doesn't matter.

Kelly's tenure at NBC wasn't going very well. Her persona wasn't really a good fit for the shows she was doing and it was reflected in the ratings. I don't know why NBC hired her in the first place, as she had a track record of making racially insensitive remarks on the air while at Fox, did they expect someone else?

One might say that this incident was a good pretext for the network to part ways with Kelly, who was floudering in the ratings.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post

Of course I personally don't find Kellys words to be offensive, but then again, I'm a white guy, if I was black, I probably wouldn't appreciate what she said. Blackface is obviously a racist thing to do with very racist origins. I could see some young person who is naive about the history of blackface and do it not intending racism, but I don't really think that is the case here. There is a large enough percentage of our population who are still alive who lived through the times when blackface was used often enough to still have a strong emotional connection to it, and I do think it is disrespectful to do blackface at all.
There's a double standard. Everyone has to walk on egg shells to not offend all things non-white identity, but just about anything goes if it's unflattering toward whites. I hold whites to the same privileged and benefit of the doubt, standard that the left holds or affords non-whites and liberals.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
No that's just scapegoating whites for things blacks have more of a tendency to do all other things equal.

Whites are becoming more like blacks because whites are under negative black influences and racial oppression. See I can scapegoat too.

When in this society has "all other things been equal" for blacks? There is no controlled environment free of the influence of racial oppression in this country. The fact that you make an ASSUMPTION of how blacks would behave relative to whites, if all other things were equal, and all other things HAVE NEVER BEEN EQUAL, means that you are just projecting your beliefs about blacks, without facts.

I have read some of your post. It's clear you are one of those who believe the black race is inferior to the white race. I don't care that such is your belief. It carries no power with me. However, just come out and say it and make your communication more efficient.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
When in this society has "all other things been equal" for blacks? There is no controlled environment free of the influence of racial oppression in this country. The fact that you make an ASSUMPTION of how blacks would behave relative to whites, if all other things were equal, and all other things HAVE NEVER BEEN EQUAL, means that you are just projecting your beliefs about blacks, without facts.

I have read some of your post. It's clear you are one of those who believe the black race is inferior to the white race. I don't care that such is your belief. It carries no power with me. However, just come out and say it and make your communication more efficient.
You can't make whites, blacks and Asians equal. They are naturally different. Just like you can't make two different people equal. I never said anything about superior and inferior, just different due to factors outside of anyone's hands or especially other people's hands. People need to take personal responsibility for their outcomes. Blacks have opportunities and set asides as someone like myself do not have.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You can't make whites, blacks and Asians equal. They are naturally different. Just like you can't make two different people equal. I never said anything about superior and inferior, just different due to factors outside of anyone's hands or especially other people's hands. People need to take personal responsibility for their outcomes. Blacks have opportunities and set asides as someone like myself do not have.

Well. I am not even going to go down that path with you. It's clear to me that you see blacks as inferior but its not clear to you because you are trying to prevent yourself from the shame of realizing that you may be racist. If my position is that the light is OFF, you arguing against my position means you believe that the light is ON. You don't want to say that the light is ON, so you just argue against my position and then say you never said anything about the light being ON. Okey Doke.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Well. I am not even going to go down that path with you. It's clear to me that you see blacks as inferior but its not clear to you because you are trying to prevent yourself from the shame of realizing that you may be racist. If my position is that the light is OFF, you arguing against my position means you believe that the light is ON. You don't want to say that the light is ON, so you just argue against my position and then say you never said anything about the light being ON. Okey Doke.
That seems like a personal attack but I'm not so sensitive as some. Likewise it's clear to me you are arguing that whites are morally inferior to blacks. I'm arguing that whites should not be anyone else's scapegoat and others need to take personal responsibility for themselves.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:02 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,347,293 times
I absolutely LOVE the "ignore" feature!
Poof! Gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies