Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Megyn Kelly keep her show?
Yes 162 66.67%
No 81 33.33%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 02:55 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
At the end of the day, it was used for dehumanizing Black people for entertainment purposes. I'm not here to debate an opinion. This is historical fact. This has nothing to do with racial pride. It has everything to do with right and wrong.
All caricaturing could be considered "dehumanizing" for whatever purpose. At the end of the day you can take anything anyway you want, but that doesn't necessarily mean anyone else has to agree or do what you want them to do or not do. It's none of your business what caricatures someone else wants to create.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:28 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,765,643 times
Most of us here were not even alive when Blackface minstrels shows were going on, considering it started in 1840 and began winding down in the 1930-40's. Maybe your grandparents or great grandparents remember it but for the most part, when was the last time you saw a current Broadway show using blackface?

Either way, it was and is offensive and needs to be addressed. I'm not African American but I always wondered why Al Jolson painted his face black and sang? I remember earlier film with blackface caricatures (no, I'm not old but I watch a lot of movies). I wondered why they did that and I did wonder if African Americans were offended by that? How did it all begin?

Interesting fact: In the early 20th century, group of African-American laborers began a marching club in the New Orleans Mardi Gras parade, dressed as hobos and calling themselves "The Tramps". Wanting a flashier look, they renamed themselves "Zulus" and copied their costumes from a blackface vaudeville skit performed at a local black jazz club and cabaret The result is one of the best known and most striking krewes of Mardi Gras, the Zulu Social Aid and Pleasure Club. Dressed in grass skirts, top hats and exaggerated blackface, the Zulus of New Orleans are controversial as well as popular.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:44 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Yes you are engaging in double speak and scapegoating. Everyone else in Africa and Eurasian were just as situated or better situated for advancement than the Europeans were. It's not about being "first". It's about being the people who did the given advancement period, laid down most of the groundwork, create many of the principles, that some others borrowed, copied and stole, and others weren't able or willing to even imitate.
Yeah....but where did I lie? You don't believe the races are inately equal in their capacity for intelligence and temperment and you keep obfuscating that fact by characterizing my argument as scapegoating

Old 10-28-2018, 04:29 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,347,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
History shows how racist and bigoted Blackface is. Anyone can say "it isn't racist" but history proves otherwise. The Blackface minstrel shows were meant to depict Black people in demeaning, dehumanizing ways. It was meant to mock and show Blacks in some of the most ugly ways possible, at a time when Blacks were basically treated like 2nd class citizens. Given what history shows, there is no other way to see Blackface as anything other than racist.
True. CBS Sunday Morning had an excellent segment about it today.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:41 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times
What Megyn said wasn’t racist. She stated that when she was a kid, wearing black face makeup on Halloween so long as it was to portray a certain costume figure was ok. It’s true!

Old 10-28-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
What Megyn said wasn’t racist. She stated that when she was a kid, wearing black face makeup on Halloween so long as it was to portray a certain costume figure was ok. It’s true!
No, it is not true. It's a LIE. See post #430.
Read and try to learn something.
Blackface has NEVER been okay, except to whites who ridicule blacks.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:49 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Megyn Kelly was fired because NBC was paying her a FORTUNE and definitely weren't getting their money's worth in terms of ratings.
$69 million is a huge amount to risk and huge amount to dump!

Old 10-28-2018, 04:50 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times
Quote:

Is that what the black people told her back then....or was that her families assumption? She is from Bethlehem, NY, which is about 2% black today. Maybe there just was not any blacks around when they wore black face to take offense. So what she was basically saying is that white people found black face ok when she was a kid.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:53 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
No, it is not true. It's a LIE. See post #430.
Read and try to learn something.
Blackface has NEVER been okay, except to whites who ridicule blacks.
I never said it was ok, but it is true. In the 1980’s when I was a kid, certain kids would use black face paint depending on the costume. Mind you, I lived in NYC back then.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I never said it was ok, but it is true. In the 1980’s when I was a kid, certain kids would use black face paint depending on the costume. Mind you, I lived in NYC back then.
I don't care where you lived or what certain kids did. It might have been ok to YOU but never was it okay to blacks. As I said, read and learn if you want truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies