Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 11:00 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I've got a chip on my shoulder? I thought I just explained all of that to you. This very thread was started by an American with the usual suspects jumping in to once again pizz on Canada over something American Streisand said.

I winter in Florida and will continue to do so unless and until it becomes evident to me Canadians are no longer welcome by those folks I've met in over 20 years of spending time in your south from the west to now the eastern part. We've had nothing but good experiences from both the country and the people.

More free with your words? Why wouldn't you be in your own country?
Canadians are more reserved? Holy moly, as guests in your country why would you expect otherwise?

I've never heard the kind of nonsense espoused by those we've befriended about Canada that comes over these boards in any number of threads. Nor have I heard from American guests we've entertained in Canada the things commonly uttered on here.

I put that down to politeness and normal social conventions of respect.

If I were to couch my responses more carefully using the adjectives like "some" and "few", I'd be the only one playing by those rules.

I refer you back to posts #32 and #33 where it began in this thread.

We gave one of my friends the nickname 'Mr. Small Talk' when we were young adults (decades+++ ago). He was born in the U.S., and has lived in other countries, but not in Canada. His parents met when they were in grad school in completely different programs at the same 'Public Ivy' in the United States. His parents were both born and raised in the same large Canadian city, and attended the same university during their undergrad years, but their paths never crossed until they met in the United States. They are both as chatty and outgoing as he is .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 11:16 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times
Barbra Streisand 'thinking' about moving to Canada if GOP wins the House

Look in the dictionary under "win-win situation", and you'll find this exact statement.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:33 AM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
It's not unusual for an American to assume they have exclusive rights to making things up as the poster I was responding to: You didn't look very hard; those figures come from the most recent government census results taken in BOTH countries.

Canada: https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/dail...70913a-eng.htm $70,336.00

U.S.: https://www.businessinsider.com/us-c...-income-2017-9 $59,039.00
You do realize that 70K Canadian Pesos is lower than $59K USD don't you? And after taxes, the average American takes home 45% more than the average Canuck? That the average american has double the financial wealth? yeah, Canada is a great place to freeze and make 65% of what an American makes

Old 11-01-2018, 05:07 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,530,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
lol, you cons care as seen by how many threads are started crying about celebrities.
exactly.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:50 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Yah, nice digs. Too bad there's nothing equivalent in Canada.
Seriously??

Old 11-01-2018, 01:55 PM

463 posts, read 189,478 times
Why Canada over Mexico?

Must be racist

Old 11-02-2018, 06:59 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Plus, this nut has resurrected the charge that Trump is making her eat pancakes.

TDS. It's real.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:35 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,244,554 times
Quote:
It's not unusual for an American to assume they have exclusive rights to making things up as the poster I was responding to: You didn't look very hard; those figures come from the most recent government census results taken in BOTH countries.

Canada: https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/dail...70913a-eng.htm $70,336.00

U.S.: https://www.businessinsider.com/us-c...-income-2017-9 $59,039.00
Yes and the fact remains that $70K Canadian dollars is less than $59K USD.

After taxes, US residents take home 45% more than Canadians according to OECD.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:47 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,246,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
You do realize that 70K Canadian Pesos is lower than $59K USD don't you? And after taxes, the average American takes home 45% more than the average Canuck? That the average american has double the financial wealth? yeah, Canada is a great place to freeze and make 65% of what an American makes
Why are extremist making this about Canada? Barbra clearly knows she is going to be taxed more in Canada, then even NYC. SHE has NO WORRIES on finances. She clearly had wealth saved and invested.

I'm sure you were responding to Canada better US bad comments. But still ..... Canada has plenty of wealth in Natural resources alone. Their standard of living is no less for average citizens and probably less cut-thought competitive society overall and bankruptcy for medical bills not necessary. Medical bills can quickly suck wealth even with insurances paying 80%.

I want my 80s 90s insurance back ..... ALL was paid.
My wife's just one pill without her disability paying it ..... is $1000 a fill. My insurance is good with pills ..... but huge deductible making me much much poorer if I had to pay her many doctor visits.

But on topic ..... we still love Barbra as a American icon with so much talent. She merely remembers her roots as growing up poor. She feels for those without talents or extra to invest to propel them to more and lived among immigrant families growing up also.

Why we still LOVE and will never forget Barbra. Still looks great...

Singing in the car and then chatting and more singing with- Late late shows James Corden.

Barbra doing Carpool Karaoke.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSG7Os-Uzlk

Old 11-12-2018, 10:02 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
Barbra Streisand should share a dumpster with the homeless in her own community and be part of the solution in Ca. Only a coward cuts and runs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies