Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2018, 09:10 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Of my husband losing clients or even being blackballed in his career field? Damn straight, I am. I vote, but I am not interested in having our living threatened by people who would hold our political beliefs against us. It's the straight-jacket of being an upper-middle class professional family. We have a lot to lose but not enough to say to hell with what other people think, so we demur when the topic comes up and save expressing ourselves for the voting booth.

Wow! That is a sad state of reality. Are you assuming that people would hold it against you or do you have evidence to support your fears? Would YOU hold someone else's political beliefs against them in a way that could hurt their livelihood? Do you think that there are members of your political party of choice that would do that to others? Obviously only the opposition (to your own affiliation) party would seek to hurt you.

Honestly.....I truly don't get it. I think most of the problems in this country are actually rooted in what people in both parties agree upon....and not the things they disagree with. Ergo, the fact that there is so much fear and animus between the two sides is mind boggling.

Like I mentioned prior, I do believe that this divide is going to one day culminate in destructive civil unrest between the two sides. The people who will be targeted will be those who are can be stereotyped as members with the highest degree of accuracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 09:18 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Wow! That is a sad state of reality. Are you assuming that people would hold it against you or do you have evidence to support your fears? Would YOU hold someone else's political beliefs against them in a way that could hurt their livelihood? Do you think that there are members of your political party of choice that would do that to others?

Honestly.....I truly don't get it. I think most of the problems in this country are actually rooted in what people in both parties agree upon....and not the things they disagree with. Ergo, the fact that there is so much fear and animus between the two sides is mind boggling.
I think there are people on both sides of the aisle who suffer negative consequences when they make a point of discussing controversial subjects, including politics, in public. There are lots of people employed in fields where it's important to remain an enigma. My best friend's husband works with the court system. Both of them are very careful never to reveal anything that could imperil his job. That you don't have any experience with this just means that you live a very different life than we do.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I think there are people on both sides of the aisle who suffer negative consequences when they make a point of discussing controversial subjects, including politics, in public. There are lots of people employed in fields where it's important to remain an enigma. My best friend's husband works with the court system. Both of them are very careful never to reveal anything that could imperil his job. That you don't have any experience with this just means that you live a very different life than we do.

I can understand how discussing controversial subjects can be detrimental to ones profession. The problem I have is with politics being a controversial topic. Whyis whether one tends to lean left or tends to lean right controversial? You are right, I do not have your experience with political persecution. Unless one is in a political competition, ones politics should not impact their economics.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:36 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I can understand how discussing controversial subjects can be detrimental to ones profession. The problem I have is with politics being a controversial topic. Whyis whether one tends to lean left or tends to lean right controversial? You are right, I do not have your experience with political persecution. Unless one is in a political competition, ones politics should not impact their economics.
But it can, Indentured Servant, for both Republicans and Democrats, which is why I work hard to remain an enigma, and so does my spouse. I don't feel persecuted, btw. I just think it's wise not to tempt fate. And if you think politics is not a controversial subject, then I think you are incredibly naïve.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:44 AM

19,531 posts, read 9,546,813 times
What if someone doesn't vote a straight Rep or Dem? What do they look like to you?

Old 11-07-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
But it can, Indentured Servant, for both Republicans and Democrats, which is why I work hard to remain an enigma, and so does my spouse. I don't feel persecuted, btw. I just think it's wise not to tempt fate. And if you think politics is not a controversial subject, then I think you are incredibly naïve.

I am not naive.....I am just projecting. Maybe you are projecting as well. If politics is controversial, its because you choose to make it so. People have different beliefs. Whats controversial about that? I might either agree or disagree with you....or not care. Its not controversial to the degree that one should have to HIDE from what they believe and stand for. I understand what you are saying, however. For example, if someones views were anti-gay.....they could potentially loose a lot of business from the gay community. However, being anti-gay or anti-black or anti-Christian or whatever, is not a political controversy, that has to do with bigotry and intolerance. A political controversy would be whether one thinks that cutting taxes is more stimulative to the economy than increased government spending, etc. Its the approach to governance......big vs small, etc, that are the true demarcation between left and right. The problem is that people package or hide, I believe, a lot of other prejudices and "ism" within politics and this is what makes politics become controversial.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
What if someone doesn't vote a straight Rep or Dem? What do they look like to you?

They would look like a non-American.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:59 AM

482 posts, read 242,540 times
You can guess the extremes of the party pretty accurately, but the middle isn't too clear cut, and the middle is the majority.
If you just wanted to guess by trends in my neck of the woods, the Democrats are mostly single women and minorities, while the republicans mostly white men and married women. By just looking at skin color, gender and the ring finger, I bet that I could be about 80% correct in my area.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:01 AM

27,655 posts, read 16,142,781 times
40 yr old black woman with resting b face, probably d.
White people are the hardest to tell since they are less tribe like. If theyre flaming, got lots of peircings, yeah prob d. Avg white person, hard to tell. The rest go along with the tribe.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
40 yr old black woman with resting b face, probably d

I would say the disposition of the face is not germane given that 90% or more of blacks vote Democrat. If she had a resting smiling face she still is probably a D. Thus, your created a distinction without a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies