Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 01:14 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well, let me tell you what happens during press conferences. The press is there to ask questions, to persist when those questions aren't answered, and to follow up for clarifications when answers are given. Reporters routinely interrupt one another and talk at the same time in order for their questions to be heard. It's a common practice and it's not considered to be rude or unprofessional. Reporters, by nature, must be opportunists because they never know when the subject of the press conference will say "No more questions." The reporters are there for one reason only: to gather information.
This true. I've always rolled my eyes when folks who have never been to a presser stats talking like they know what goes on there. Sometimes the press has to ask what you may think is a rude or even a stupid question to get an answer. Sometimes they rephrase a question that has already been asked because they don't think the speaker really answered the question the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 01:16 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,303,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
This true. I've always rolled my eyes when folks who have never been to a presser stats talking like they know what goes on there. Sometimes the press has to ask what you may think is a rude or even a stupid question to get an answer. Sometimes they rephrase a question that has already been asked because they don't think the speaker really answered the question the first time.
Which is Trumps whole game.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Accidentally "touching" someones arm? Are you kidding me? Acosta deliberatly used his hand to push the young woman's arm away from him. THAT IS FACT! I dont care how you try to play it down.
You need to watch the longer version of the video, not the doctored InfoWars version that Sarah Sanders sent out.

The intern reached for the mic across Acosta's body. Acosta, while asking a question of the president was "talking" with his free arm and came down on the intern's arm briefly. It was not intentional and it happened because she was reaching for the mic. Now before anyone tries to say I am saying the intern was at fault, I am not saying that. She was put in an awkward situation by both Acosta and the president. I feel bad for her.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:17 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,582,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Because they all let her do her job. None of the others used physical force/intimidation to try to keep the mic away from the intern after POTUS had already called on the next journalist. Only Acosta used physical force/intimidation to keep the intern away from the mic. That's assault.

NO that is an Infowars sourced doctored video. Use fake sources then claim assault. This is what the WH has become and they wonder why reporters ask if they support white nationalist movements.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:18 PM

718 posts, read 599,658 times
C SPAN Press Conference

https://www.c-span.org/video/?454223...mplete-victory

Acosta & POTUS start @ 27:03-29:34, transcript shows under video. Acosta does move her arm with his, but this is not assault. Let's be clear, it was not appropriate, at all.

You're welcome.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:26 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Trumps first mistake was letting Acosta have a turn period. The transcripts proved what happened you don’t even have to watch the video. It’s truly frightening that Trump supporters are just blindly going along with all of this. Knowing that Acosta didn’t hurt, karate chop, etc.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:29 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually now that I have read the whitehouses claimed reason? What nonsense. This is pathetic. They're claiming Acosta "put his hands on a young woman". They're referring to the lady who tried yanking the mic from him mid question (a action which was 100% reasonable in my opinion at the time). At no time did Acosta touch her though. Thats utter nonsense. So 0 respect for lying about this. It makes the whitehouse look weak. Just be honest.

The intern was doing her job to transfer the mike from the reporter that had just asked a question to the next reporter called on. Acosta had already asked his question. He wanted another one. He has no right to another one, regardless of whether he or you thinks it is a reasonable one. The President had said that's enough and called on someone else.

It's no different than if a CNN anchor had invited a panel of guests. The anchor would have the perfect right to say who gets to speak and when. If the anchor decides he's heard enough from one guest and says enough then the guest needs to shut up. If a guest is disrespectful and refuses to play by the rules, the anchor would be justified in not inviting him back.

Acosta was most rude to his colleagues, whom he took away time for them to ask their questions.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Trumps first mistake was letting Acosta have a turn period. The transcripts proved what happened you don’t even have to watch the video. It’s truly frightening that Trump supporters are just blindly going along with all of this. Knowing that Acosta didn’t hurt, karate chop, etc.
The cynic in me says it was not a mistake at all that Trump called on Acosta. It's classic bait and switch on a day where the president knew Sessions was about to go and a day after the GOP lost the House. If you don't want to hear from a reporter, don't call on that reporter. You basically ignore him and make it almost useless for him to be there. How it played out guaranteed it would be news for almost 24 hours now. Pretty much what the White House wanted.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:32 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Well we have all seen our share of press conferences on TV/media and we know when the person being questioned says your done and calls on the next reporter, your done and the next person gets their turn. We have also seen cases where a rude reporter, like Acosta, has been removed for such behavior.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:32 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,811,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Acosta is an ass who loves goading Trump. Anyone who denies that is lying or has never seen him in action.

Trump is an ass who isn't having it. Again, no denying that either.

You can love Trump and say he was patiently answering questions and Acosta was being his typical obnoxious self and was out of line not handing over the mic....

Or you can hate Trump and say he is the one who brought this on because he was rude.

But what you cannot and should not say - is that the intern was assaulted or physically attacked. Exaggerating what happened and trying to make it into something it's not, is not only going to weaken your argument and put your credibility into question - but it's going to dilute the words 'assault' and 'physically attacked' just as the words 'rape' and 'racist' have been watered down.

Not to mention - you just sound ridiculous.

I'm of the opinion that Acosta is an ass who goads Trump and because he cannot do his job impartially and demands more time than anyone else is getting, he should be banned from the White House and CNN should assign someone who can be more neutral.

There really isn't more to say beyond that unless you're purposely trying to weaken that argument by adding nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
*mic

That is what happened. Yes, his hand did come down on her arm, but that was in no way "assault", nor was it a "shove" nor a "push". The worst one could call it was "disrespectful", which it was, because he was basically moving her hand away from him with a dismissive, "Excuse me, ma'am". But it was not assault.

Conservatives, can we NOT act like the left and hyperventilate and overreact to every little thing?
I agree with these assessments of what happened and it does make conservatives look ridiculous when using the word assault in this situation. The last thing we want is to go down the left's road of ridiculousness as it has lead us to where we are now. Acosta is a gigantic a$$ and Trump can be one too, but Trump is still president and can decide who sits in the WH press briefings and who doesn't. Get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies