Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should automotive racing be banned?
yes. 13 17.11%
no, continue the depredation of nature. 53 69.74%
other (please explain below) 10 13.16%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 08:46 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,883,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Umm, how do the batteries get charged?
The recharge power comes out of the wall.You just plug in your car just like a toaster..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 08:49 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,883,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
No one has yet even tried to explain why we need to have car racing. We don't. Comparing car racing to necessary activities such as travel, breathing(?) etc. is a false comparison.

World leaders flying internationally in private jets to negotiate on how to keep the world safe is unfortunately necessary. How is car racing necessary?
Ever hear of Skype...You fail to realise your leaders are better than you.Now unplug your battery tooth brush and brush manualy.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:03 AM

1,874 posts, read 819,156 times
Quote:
I live in the Seattle area, which is extremely conscious of environmentalism. Every week it seems that there is a new story about the effects of global warming. Last week it was the disappearance of sea urchins. The week before, methane gas bubbling up in the arctic. This week, there is a front page story in the Seattle Times about "Orcas in Peril."

Automotive racing of all types, whether it is car, truck, or motorcycle, serves NO earthly purpose. Someone estimated that ONE driver, a guy named Jeff Gordon, has driven almost 300,000 miles in races alone. That is one guy, and does not even count his practice driving, or his driving getting to and from the track.

No earthly purpose to it, and all the while generating carbon emissions. Wouldn't it be a great idea to ban it? I would not even allow emissions-free cars such as the Tesla to race, since there is no way to tell whether the electricity may have come from coal. I'm completely serious here--I'd ban it all.
i think you are a nut. can i ban you?

Old 11-13-2018, 09:09 AM

1,874 posts, read 819,156 times
Quote:
No one has yet even tried to explain why we need to have car racing. We don't. Comparing car racing to necessary activities such as travel, breathing(?) etc. is a false comparison.

World leaders flying internationally in private jets to negotiate on how to keep the world safe is unfortunately necessary. How is car racing necessary?
Ok comrade, when the US turns into the USSR and you are 'elected' czar then you can tell the proletariat what they 'need'. until then you are just a wanna be commie with an opinion. got it?

Old 11-13-2018, 10:17 AM

1,675 posts, read 577,639 times
Electric cars produce more co2 than the average car.
The researchers compared emissions over 150,000km for a BMW 320i using petrol and the new electric Tesla Model 3 and found the latter to be capable of emitting 27 tonnes of carbon – 20 per cent more than the BMW.
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...more-polluting
But that's not the worst part, those batteries need more natural resources and are more prompt to fires in accidents.

Global warming is problem only in the mind of people, the reality is that the world is in a cooling trend. Isn't it colder than usually where you live?

Old 11-13-2018, 10:21 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Inconvenient Truth was quite a clever name for that film - the idea that people just keep doing as they're doing, will eventually change I think

Old 11-13-2018, 10:31 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Quote:
I live in the Seattle area, which is extremely conscious of environmentalism. Every week it seems that there is a new story about the effects of global warming. Last week it was the disappearance of sea urchins. The week before, methane gas bubbling up in the arctic. This week, there is a front page story in the Seattle Times about "Orcas in Peril."

Automotive racing of all types, whether it is car, truck, or motorcycle, serves NO earthly purpose. Someone estimated that ONE driver, a guy named Jeff Gordon, has driven almost 300,000 miles in races alone. That is one guy, and does not even count his practice driving, or his driving getting to and from the track.

No earthly purpose to it, and all the while generating carbon emissions. Wouldn't it be a great idea to ban it? I would not even allow emissions-free cars such as the Tesla to race, since there is no way to tell whether the electricity may have come from coal. I'm completely serious here--I'd ban it all.
You are misdirected, the real enemy of the environment is lawnmowers and other small engines.

then we have overcrowding, city traffic, air conditioning, toll booth back ups, vinyl siding, transportation of items like coffee, bananas, oranges and guava. All unnecessary for a Spartan existence.

No earthly purpose for a golf course, pesticides, herbicides and water runoff and squandering water resources must keep you awake at night.

Sports stadiums are a blight on the land, concentrate people and pollution.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:35 AM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Inconvenient Truth was quite a clever name for that film - the idea that people just keep doing as they're doing, will eventually change I think
Yeah, Americans just can't wait to turn in all their financed trucks and SUVs to "save the planet."

Old 11-13-2018, 10:35 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:

so from the fascist handbook (ban, boycott, protest) whats next

should we ban breathing, or how about cow farts..or how about the leftist population control, where they kill billions

btw, biased poll

Old 11-13-2018, 10:37 AM

52,291 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Car racing as a whole is probably just a spec in terms of being bad for the environment in the grand scheme of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies