Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should automotive racing be banned?
yes. 13 17.11%
no, continue the depredation of nature. 53 69.74%
other (please explain below) 10 13.16%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 10:37 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yeah, Americans just can't wait to turn in all their financed trucks and SUVs to "save the planet."
Yep, that's why it's such a clever movie title -it's sums up the biggest hurdle nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 10:38 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Humans are the problem. Ban them.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:40 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I live in the Seattle area, which is extremely conscious of environmentalism. Every week it seems that there is a new story about the effects of global warming. Last week it was the disappearance of sea urchins. The week before, methane gas bubbling up in the arctic. This week, there is a front page story in the Seattle Times about "Orcas in Peril."

Automotive racing of all types, whether it is car, truck, or motorcycle, serves NO earthly purpose. Someone estimated that ONE driver, a guy named Jeff Gordon, has driven almost 300,000 miles in races alone. That is one guy, and does not even count his practice driving, or his driving getting to and from the track.

No earthly purpose to it, and all the while generating carbon emissions. Wouldn't it be a great idea to ban it? I would not even allow emissions-free cars such as the Tesla to race, since there is no way to tell whether the electricity may have come from coal. I'm completely serious here--I'd ban it all.
I'd much rather start with these...limit the amount of garbage we import.
https://newatlas.com/shipping-pollution/11526/

Wish I was able to make it this year for three days of wonderful fossil fuel burning pleasure down in Key West!!!
https://livestream.com/sbi/events/8450433

Or next week to the Baja peninsula , for more fossil fuel burning pleasure , there will be a couple hundred vehicles ripping it up down there !
http://score-international.com/

Old 11-13-2018, 10:43 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
Quote:
Automotive racing of all types, whether it is car, truck, or motorcycle, serves NO earthly purpose.
I dunno about you, but car racing is the most fun I've ever had with my pants on. I love doing it, and i'll continue to do it.

No purpose? There are plenty of things that have no real purpose but are just fun to do. Ride dirtbikes in the woods? No purpose ban it! Jet skis? Oh that's just too much fun but no real purpose. Ban it. Riding snowmobiles through the woods? Nope..no purpose at all. ban them. Lets ban skydiving too because it's a waste of fuel to fly a plane up into the sky just to jump out of it. Ban it. Sport events? No reason to have 50,000 people drive their cars to watch. Ban them

Lets just ban everything. If i can pick one, I vote we ban dogs because they annoy me.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:44 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
It's actually a well thought out question. It's the kind of choices we are going to have to make in order to "stop global warming". And if auto racing is banned, the next thing might be:
* ban the masses from flying. Only the elites can take planes
* ban sports leagues
* ban passenger cars for the masses. Only trains or busses

It's a slippery slope.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:46 AM

52,290 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
It's actually a well thought out question. It's the kind of choices we are going to have to make in order to "stop global warming". And if auto racing is banned, the next thing might be:
* ban the masses from flying. Only the elites can take planes
* ban sports leagues
* ban passenger cars for the masses. Only trains or busses

It's a slippery slope.
Some people want the government to have more control over things in their lives.

The perpetual nanny state thinking that some people have annoys me at times.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:50 AM

937 posts, read 928,007 times
Quote:
[Ugh...]
...Wrong thing to ban.

I'd prefer minimizing the need to use automobiles in urban spaces. That's where a bulk of automotive usage is and where it can be resolved.

Gas consumption from auto-racing is special use (though they burn a **** load of gas) and isn't as regularly damaging as urban automotive usage.

...That said, can't say I car much for NASCAR. Rally and other racing orgs are far more fun to watch.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:52 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
No one has yet even tried to explain why we need to have car racing. We don't. Comparing car racing to necessary activities such as travel, breathing(?) etc. is a false comparison.

World leaders flying internationally in private jets to negotiate on how to keep the world safe is unfortunately necessary. How is car racing necessary?

There are many things that we don't need that someone else might. Get over it, life goes on.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:05 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
I live in the Seattle area, which is extremely conscious of environmentalism. Every week it seems that there is a new story about the effects of global warming. Last week it was the disappearance of sea urchins. The week before, methane gas bubbling up in the arctic. This week, there is a front page story in the Seattle Times about "Orcas in Peril."

Automotive racing of all types, whether it is car, truck, or motorcycle, serves NO earthly purpose. Someone estimated that ONE driver, a guy named Jeff Gordon, has driven almost 300,000 miles in races alone. That is one guy, and does not even count his practice driving, or his driving getting to and from the track.

No earthly purpose to it, and all the while generating carbon emissions. Wouldn't it be a great idea to ban it? I would not even allow emissions-free cars such as the Tesla to race, since there is no way to tell whether the electricity may have come from coal. I'm completely serious here--I'd ban it all.
The occasional car race is not a major environmental concern, the daily commute by hundreds of thousands should be more of a concern .=https://www.google.ca/search?q=Seatt...w=1098&bih=507

Old 11-13-2018, 02:20 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Automotive racing of all types, whether it is car, truck, or motorcycle, serves NO earthly purpose.
Ah, but it does. Lots of things have entertainment value. Just because you don't like it doesn't change its value.

And BTW, millions of people watch automotive racing all over the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies