Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 01:27 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,291,201 times

Advertisements

This is disgusting. That poor man. 2A isn’t for black people, it seems.

Quote:
After gunfire erupted around 04:00 local time on Sunday, Jemel Roberson, 26, chased down an attacker and knelt on his back until police arrived.

Moments after police came on the scene, an officer opened fire on Roberson, who was black, killing him.
Friends say Roberson was a musician who had dreams of joining the police.

"The very people that he wanted to be family with took his life," Patricia Hill, the pastor of Purposed Hill church in Chicago, told WGN-TV.

Roberson worked as a gospel musician at several nearby churches, and also had found work at Manny's Blue Room in Robbins, Illinois, where the shooting occurred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 01:46 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times
We all know conservatives, who are not racist at all, will make Roberson into a criminal. NRA will stay completely silent on this. Also not racist at all.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:27 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,645,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyweight View Post
If you're wondering what one of the best benefits is when it comes to White Privilege, the answer is Benefit of the Doubt. Had it been given to this guy, he would still be alive.

Officer Kills Security Guard
Over a decade ago a very drunk homeless man wanted to assault me at a gas station in a metro part of Florida. At the time, he had cut in front of a long line and was clearly drunk. So, I just pointed out the error of his rudeness. Then he just exploded and started verbally abusing me to the extreme. I paid for my gas and went outside to pump. Then he followed me and was cussing as loud as he could at me and telling me he would kill me and got really close. Meanwhile, a crowd gathered and was watching. Clearly, they were expecting a fight as I am much bigger than that guy and about 20 years younger and athletic. But I held my calm. The clerk told me he "had" called the cops. I expected them to show up any second.

As the guy kept yelling his mouth off I noticed a blonde white woman looking at me and laughing. She thought I was a coward unable to stand for himself. What she didn't know as a white woman is the reality of racism against minorities in situations like this. I am a big brown Native American. The homeless guy was a dark-skinned African American (not light like Obama). If he and I were to get in a fight and the cops showed up, I was 100% confident that the white cops would shoot both of us dead. If I won the fight (which in my opinion would have been easy to do), I am 100% confident that I would have gone to prison in the Florida system, which is horrifying. I worked for the state and got to know the area. I know the FL prisons are really bad - understaffed, underfunded, overcrowded, disease-ridden (HIV, TB, gonnorhea, herpes, etc.), gang-infested, and violently dangerous. From what I was told, thick phone books are a commodity in there for those who know what I mean. Rapes and gang fights are the standard.

So, I didn't fight at all. Now, if a white man had fought in "self-defense" against a guy like that odds are he would not have been prosecuted and would have been considered a hero for fighting crime in the streets. But if a big brown Native American wins the fight I feel like I would have just been shot by the white cops or imprisoned for simply defending myself.

I used to be on the wrestling team in HS and trained with elite wrestlers. They taught me how to throw someone. A hip throw and guillotine choke would have easily stopped that over-the-hill, drunk, unbalanced, undersized homeless person. But I didn't dare. I just didn't want to face the cops if I had done that. I figured it was best to let them do it. When stories like this come up I am glad I was neutral that day.

But it does bother me that a lot of whites can't understand this raw reality immediately. Many would probably think "Gee, why doesn't that big Indian defend himself against that old, little homeless guy?" They are naive about how white racism works in situations like that.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:50 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,113,717 times
This was a mass shooting at a black bar at 4 am. There were already four injured patrons when the police rolled up and saw the security (no uniform) kneeling on a man with his gun on the man’s back. I have already come out early in this thread saying there is no justification for the shooting and this gentleman did not deserve to lose his life.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:00 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
The question is, if the murdered security guard had been wearing a police-type uniform, would the cop still have shot him, in those circumstances? I'm afraid that the answer might be yes, although if I was working as an armed security guard, I would not want to be without a uniform. This whole thing is a tragedy and a stupid one, at that. The cop certainly has no future in that job, even if he goes unpunished. My condolences to the man's family and friends.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:15 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,759,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
BentBow also said the Thousand Oaks shooter was a black man.

The suspect is African American, even when he is not. The African American victim had it coming, for being black.
Nice research . Now the world can see that 100% or what he says is bunk and propaganda.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:03 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Robbins, IL is a long time, super majority black suburb.

The bar 's customers are super-majority black and the bar is viewed as the last stop of the night, by many patrons, as are most with 4:00 AM licenses. No shortage of issues at bars with late hours, regardless of where.

The employees are black.

Police responded to a call of shots fired. The injured were in the bar when the Police arrived. For all any of us know, the officer may have been black.

Obviously, the officer who shot the security guard mistook him for a bad guy.

None of us were there. We don't know what the officer saw or perceived was going on. The state is investigating.

The Police are not there to protect & serve any longer.
When they come to take names and clean up the mess, they has one mission when they arrive. Make it home at night.
Shoot first ask questions later is taught over and over to the many police forces around the nation.
It is the entire reason you see so many cops shooting and killing people that should have never ever been shot, much less brandishing upon arrival.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:45 AM

1,081 posts, read 549,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Over a decade ago a very drunk homeless man wanted to assault me at a gas station in a metro part of Florida. At the time, he had cut in front of a long line and was clearly drunk. So, I just pointed out the error of his rudeness. Then he just exploded and started verbally abusing me to the extreme ...
The moment you go from verbal to physical you are the perpetrator of the violence. He can verbally abuse you all he wants. If you had laid hands on him, then you would deserve to be arrested and tried.

From your story your logic is that you are discriminated against because you aren't allowed to choke out old men that hurt your feelings.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:13 AM

2,260 posts, read 1,139,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
The moment you go from verbal to physical you are the perpetrator of the violence. He can verbally abuse you all he wants. If you had laid hands on him, then you would deserve to be arrested and tried.

From your story your logic is that you are discriminated against because you aren't allowed to choke out old men that hurt your feelings.
So let me guess. If the drunk guy was verbally abusing the cops like this, it would have been within their rights to take him down any way they wanted to? Do they get arrested an tried for assault?

Old 11-13-2018, 07:20 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Over a decade ago a very drunk homeless man wanted to assault me at a gas station in a metro part of Florida. At the time, he had cut in front of a long line and was clearly drunk. So, I just pointed out the error of his rudeness. Then he just exploded and started verbally abusing me to the extreme. I paid for my gas and went outside to pump. Then he followed me and was cussing as loud as he could at me and telling me he would kill me and got really close. Meanwhile, a crowd gathered and was watching. Clearly, they were expecting a fight as I am much bigger than that guy and about 20 years younger and athletic. But I held my calm. The clerk told me he "had" called the cops. I expected them to show up any second.

As the guy kept yelling his mouth off I noticed a blonde white woman looking at me and laughing. She thought I was a coward unable to stand for himself. What she didn't know as a white woman is the reality of racism against minorities in situations like this. I am a big brown Native American. The homeless guy was a dark-skinned African American (not light like Obama). If he and I were to get in a fight and the cops showed up, I was 100% confident that the white cops would shoot both of us dead. If I won the fight (which in my opinion would have been easy to do), I am 100% confident that I would have gone to prison in the Florida system, which is horrifying. I worked for the state and got to know the area. I know the FL prisons are really bad - understaffed, underfunded, overcrowded, disease-ridden (HIV, TB, gonnorhea, herpes, etc.), gang-infested, and violently dangerous. From what I was told, thick phone books are a commodity in there for those who know what I mean. Rapes and gang fights are the standard.

So, I didn't fight at all. Now, if a white man had fought in "self-defense" against a guy like that odds are he would not have been prosecuted and would have been considered a hero for fighting crime in the streets. But if a big brown Native American wins the fight I feel like I would have just been shot by the white cops or imprisoned for simply defending myself.

I used to be on the wrestling team in HS and trained with elite wrestlers. They taught me how to throw someone. A hip throw and guillotine choke would have easily stopped that over-the-hill, drunk, unbalanced, undersized homeless person. But I didn't dare. I just didn't want to face the cops if I had done that. I figured it was best to let them do it. When stories like this come up I am glad I was neutral that day.

But it does bother me that a lot of whites can't understand this raw reality immediately. Many would probably think "Gee, why doesn't that big Indian defend himself against that old, little homeless guy?" They are naive about how white racism works in situations like that.
How could you possibly know what the blonde woman was thinking? Are you a mind reader. More importantly, why do you care what a random woman in a crowd thinks? Why care what any of them think?

I don’t understand why it is necessary for anyone to initiate a smack down as a result of verbal assault.

I would not consider giving a stranger’s rants any power over me.

That neither of you had a weapon, it’s unlikely either of you would have been shot by LE unless you were using your strength and skill to kill the drunk.

Thinking the court would have found you guilty of assault, given youur choice to make the interaction physically violent.

I applaud your choice to not engage. Your reasoning however, seems a tad off, to me.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 11-13-2018 at 07:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies