Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 06:12 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,123,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Can't agree more.

Exactly. Every major power in WWII was an imperialist power with the same basic objectives. There were no good guys. Nations do whatever is their national-interests. Nations do not have morality. They don't recognize good or evil as concepts, except insofar as they can use them to justify their actions.

Do Americans have any idea how and why Hawaii became a state? Do Americans have any understanding of how we "acquired" any of this vast continent? And if we bought it from someone else, where did they get it from? And on what conditions was it sold?

Do people have any idea why the United States fought the Spanish-American war? Or the Philippine-American war? Or any war really?

This collective-delusion about what America is, and why America does what it does, I don't know if I should blame it on the American education system, or just the fact that most Americans are literal blithering imbeciles. But I get tired of arguing with people who don't know anything, but who insist on giving me their idiotic opinions. And then for the other idiots to agree with them to the point that I feel constantly and vastly outnumbered

Dunning-Kruger effect is in full-swing in this thread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnin...3Kruger_effect
Standing. Freaking. Ovation.

One of the best posts I've seen here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 06:14 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,438,068 times
Quote:
Can't agree more.

Exactly. Every major power in WWII was an imperialist power with the same basic objectives. There were no good guys. Nations do whatever is their national-interests. Nations do not have morality. They don't recognize good or evil as concepts, except insofar as they can use them to justify their actions.

Do Americans have any idea how and why Hawaii became a state? Do Americans have any understanding of how we "acquired" any of this vast continent? And if we bought it from someone else, where did they get it from? And on what conditions was it sold?

Do people have any idea why the United States fought the Spanish-American war? Or the Philippine-American war? Or any war really?

This collective-delusion about what America is, and why America does what it does, I don't know if I should blame it on the American education system, or just the fact that most Americans are literal blithering imbeciles. But I get tired of arguing with people who don't know anything, but who insist on giving me their idiotic opinions. And then for the other idiots to agree with them to the point that I feel constantly and vastly outnumbered

Dunning-Kruger effect is in full-swing in this thread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnin...3Kruger_effect
Well put, excellent post.

Edit: wish I could rep

Old 12-04-2018, 06:23 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,595,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
WWII had more casualties, and it had a higher draft enlistment rate. In fact, Vietnam had a higher share of voluntary enlistment.
Not even in the same ballpark. 50-60 million people died in WW2 and involved combat operations in dozens of countries.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I think you'd get better answers in the History forum, but my guess is:

1. WWII is further back in history.

2. There was no doubt we were on the right side.

3. We won.
2 and 3 are always closely related to one another. The winners always declare themselves the good guys.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:33 PM

12,392 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
2 and 3 are always closely related to one another. The winners always declare themselves the good guys.
Liberating living witnesses and the Nazi documentation of the Shoah went a long way to leaving us feeling that without a doubt we were on the right side and did a righteous "romanticized" thing by fighting

Old 12-04-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Liberating living witnesses and the Nazi documentation of the Shoah went a long way to leaving us feeling that without a doubt we were on the right side and did a righteous "romanticized" thing by fighting
That's fine and well. Meanwhile the "good" guys used nuclear weapons against innocent civilian populations, twice, just to let you know it wasn't a mistake the first time. So as I said...

Old 12-04-2018, 06:49 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
History is written by the victors. We won WWII and so get to write the script to fit.
No one is letting you write anything.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:30 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
That's fine and well. Meanwhile the "good" guys used nuclear weapons against innocent civilian populations, twice, just to let you know it wasn't a mistake the first time. So as I said...
The spin you have put on that is not true. If it were, the bombs would have been dropped on the densest population areas of Tokyo. Instead, both Japanese cities that were attacked with nuclear weapons were military targets, with massive civilian casualties.

It managed to get the Japanese government's full attention, while the Tokyo fire bombings didn't. The hundreds of thousands of Japanese civilians lost by using two atomic bombs saved years of war and millions of Japanese soldiers' lives.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
The spin you have put on that is not true. If it were, the bombs would have been dropped on the densest population areas of Tokyo. Instead, both Japanese cities that were attacked with nuclear weapons were military targets, with massive civilian casualties.

It managed to get the Japanese government's full attention, while the Tokyo fire bombings didn't. The hundreds of thousands of Japanese civilians lost by using two atomic bombs saved years of war and millions of Japanese soldiers' lives.
Justify it any way you want to. I wonder if even ole Adolf himself would have green lighted that one.

The winners are always the good guys. (Just ask them!)

Old 12-04-2018, 08:26 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
This line is all I needed to realize that you know absolutely nothing about WWII.

Literally none of this is true. Nor most of the rest of your post for that matter.
could you please elaborate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies