Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 04:50 PM

17,631 posts, read 6,914,908 times

Advertisements

That's nice that you like it. It's worthless to my sister and her family. They have a $1,500 deductible on top of $400+ monthly premiums that they can't afford.

She works as a home health aide and he works in a factory making about $13/hour. They can barely make ends meet with their gigantic monthly ACA premium. To add insult to injury my sister had to have cataract surgery last month and pay for that all out of pocket because it was less than the deductible.

The system is designed to fund free healthcare for deadbeats at the expense of the working middle class like my sister and brother-in-law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 05:01 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
This is what is wrong with the US. Somehow a significant segment of the population got the idea that if you are not well off you deserve to suffer. No other civilized societies think their own citizens who are poor should be allowed to die because they aren't successful enough, and then shame them about it.
IMO, you are taking Grlzrl's post out of context, ignoring the posting history of the member Grlzrl was replying to. That member likes to crow about her husband's belief that a mother raising children shouldn't work outside the home and that her husband was able to make that happen, yet that member is angry...it comes through loud and clear in her posts, and people have called her on it. In one of that member's posts in this thread it is clear that she communicated that POV re work and kids to her daughter, but she obviously wasn't able to help her daughter develop the same 'picking skill'. If her daughter has anger issues, a quality potential mate might have 'run for the hills'.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:06 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
That's nice that you like it. It's worthless to my sister and her family. They have a $1,500 deductible on top of $400+ monthly premiums that they can't afford.

She works as a home health aide and he works in a factory making about $13/hour. They can barely make ends meet with their gigantic monthly ACA premium. To add insult to injury my sister had to have cataract surgery last month and pay for that all out of pocket because it was less than the deductible.

The system is designed to fund free healthcare for deadbeats at the expense of the working middle class like my sister and brother-in-law.
Low income people are not deadbeats. If your sister was single she would get a subsidy but it would not make her a deadbeat.

1500 is a pretty low deductible even from before ACA.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:17 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Your Welcome

$575.00 a month with a 10K deductible

If only 11 million people have Obama-Care, how will 24 million people die if it is repealed? Will an additional 13 million people be randomly shot, poisoned, or spayed

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
Who said that 24 million people will die if the ACA is repealed? Link? Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Larry Summers claimed 10k people a year would die from the tax reform bill.

Didn't a Democrat say "500M Americans would die" because of some conservative bill? That was great for laugh considering this country has 350m or so.
Link? Source?

Old 12-04-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I see, yes, this is very true. Those who get employer insurance still benefit from subsidies. And dare to complain about ACA policies and subsidies!

Low income self employed are also getting left out of expanded Medicaid -something many states are doing now. The catch is the work requirements. Some states that are implementing them do not count self employment, but they do count volunteer work and regular employment.

The entire US health insurance system is a patchy mess of nebulous rules and changes and you never know what you're going to get in any given year. You can be paying through the nose with the best insurance and then they don't wanna pay because Dr. Zololokdasfhie in the ER isn't part of your network but there was no way for you to know that during your massive heart attack.
I think the bolded is one of the worst things about much of our current system (Kaiser and the like excluded).

Old 12-04-2018, 05:20 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I think the bolded is one of the worst things about much of our current system (Kaiser and the like excluded).
Medicare for All would fix this.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:22 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post

Your sister and her family are moochers and parasites, according to several extremely cruel people on here.

They might not be quite as cruel to you though, since you're complaining about how terrible Obamacare is.

Cataract surgery for under $1,500 is a bargain, incidentally.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Guessing you are the payee and not the payor.
He doesn't live in the U.S. (although he did at one time). He lives in Portugal.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:30 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Because the parents dont make any effort to feed their kids. I agree with Grlzrl. Between the free breakfast and lunch and summer feeding program, food stamps, food banks and other charities the only reason any child goes hungry is because worthless parents are not using these services to feed their kids.

Your prejudging of millions of American parents tells us a lot more about you than it does about them.

Repubs wrapped themselves in god and flag for so long they became brainwashed to their own lies. Now we see Repubs raising their kids to believe that wealth and god go together.... and the poverty is the symptom of badness.

i say shame on the lot you, because you know what you are doing when you call your fellow citizens "worthless" . You are debasing them , dehumanizing them in order to ease your guilt.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Because there was no "replace" there, only repeal, which would have thrown millions of Americans out in the cold.

Come up with a better plan. We've been listening to six years of screeching about how awful the ACA is, but not a single moment spent on actually trying to fix it or propose something else. Because all the Republicans are really good at is whining about Democrats. They have nothing to offer outside of that.
Newsflash: Not everyone who dislikes the ACA is a Republican.

Everything isn't 'Us vs. Them'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies