Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 06:09 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
As I said....

You are working too hard ^^^ to justify your subsidy / handout.

It cracks me up when someone points out red state and blue state as if everyone in the state votes the same.
No one said *they all* vote the same but a majority does. It is a big deal if republican run states which had rejected it, now start choosing to adopt parts of ACA. Even if *everyone* doesn't agree, it is a significant change.

You and some others are working hard to justify having an uninsured, unhealthy population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 06:10 PM

17,624 posts, read 6,911,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The bolded indicates that you don't understand that a number of people have ACA compliant policies, from the exchange or other venues, and don't get a subsidy, thus paying the premium out of pocket. I am one of those people, as is at least one other person on this thread (Grlzrl).
That poster doesn't understand that there are winners and losers under the ACA. He is a "winner" because he's happy with the big subsidy he gets. Others are "losers" because they have worthless insurance (gigantic deductible, high premiums) they can't use unless there is a catastrophic event.

I realize this ponzi scheme is not his doing, but it would be nice if the "winners" could acknowledge that there are in fact "losers" and maybe even show some gratitude or sympathy for them.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:11 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The bolded indicates that you don't understand that a number of people have ACA compliant policies, from the exchange or other venues, and don't get a subsidy, thus paying the premium out of pocket. I am one of those people, as is at least one other person on this thread (Grlzrl).
Thanks for the clarification.

However, RowingFiend is complaining about how worthless Obamacare is on behalf of his sister because she has to pay $400 a month and has a $1,500 deductible.

I have a negligible premium and an $8,000 deductible and I've been called a moocher. But I've expressed how grateful I consider myself even with an $8,000 deductible.

It's all a matter of perspective.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:12 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Just wanted to say that I am very thankful for it.

I had great health insurance for 25 years through my employer. After I moved to a different state and got a new job that couldn't offer me health insurance because of geographic limitations, my only affordable option was to enroll in an ACA plan. It worked out great for me. I make 17/hour and my monthly premium is under $1.00. The deductible is high ($8,000), but regular yearly doctor visits and mammograms are covered, and generic prescriptions are fairly reasonable.
It is well known how Obamacare increased the cost of health care. But the govt employed the old dodge of transferring funds from people who earned more, to people who earned less, to make them feel their health insurance didn't cost much.

So it's likely that for you, there was someone out there who not only paid his entire (high) deductible,, co-pays, and costs, also paid most of yours, to cover the high cost of your Obamacare. Right?

Have you made any effort to find out who that person was? And thank him for paying for most of your health care as well as his own?

Old 12-04-2018, 06:17 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Point to me somewhere in the constitution where it says raising taxes for social welfare programs is not allowed by the federal government.

And then tell me where you went to school k-highschool.
Try reading Federalist Paper #41.

Madison stated the powers of the federal government were limited and enumerated.

It was really in the Thirties when the courts started ignoring the clear explanations and started expanding the commerce and general welfare clauses to allow the birth of the welfare state.

Last edited by whogo; 12-04-2018 at 06:28 PM..

Old 12-04-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
It is well known how Obamacare increased the cost of health care. But the govt employed the old dodge of transferring funds from people who earned more, to people who earned less, to make them feel their health insurance didn't cost much.

So it's likely that for you, there was someone out there who not only paid his entire (high) deductible,, co-pays, and costs, also paid most of yours, to cover the high cost of your Obamacare. Right?

Have you made any effort to find out who that person was? And thank him for paying for most of your health care as well as his own?
There's not some person out there for me to personally thank.

I started this thread to express gratitude for a system that has helped me AND millions of others.

Even though I have worked full-time for 36 years, I can't afford health insurance without a subsidy.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
That poster doesn't understand that there are winners and losers under the ACA. He is a "winner" because he's happy with the big subsidy he gets. Others are "losers" because they have worthless insurance (gigantic deductible, high premiums) they can't use unless there is a catastrophic event.

I realize this ponzi scheme is not his doing, but it would be nice if the "winners" could acknowledge that there are in fact "losers" and maybe even show some gratitude or sympathy for them.
Your sister has an amazingly low deductible as a result of signing up with Obamacare. Has she expressed gratitude or sympathy for those who don't?

Why are you calling working people deadbeats?

Old 12-04-2018, 06:22 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Isn't it obvious? Sign up for the far better than the ACA plan Trump put in place soon after he took office!

Oh!

Wait!

That was just another line of campaign BS!
I seem to recall the ACA repeal failed to pass. So we still have the ACA.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:22 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
"Impressing people" is not part of the equation", we really could care less what anyone thinks of us or the things we have acquired. We buy those things because we want them and can afford them, period. My point, that you missed, was, he makes very good money, can afford the things he surrounds himself with, and yet, he is complaining about his insurance going up. That is what a lot of people are doing, not just him.

We all pay for others in any insurance plan we are on, be it health, car, home, life, etc. When your auto insurer works up your quote, it is only partially based on your driving record, and is also based on other people's accident rates. THAT is how all insurance works.
Your thinking reminds me of a roommate. We agreed to split the bills 50/50. I was going to college and working while my roommate partied and had a good time. When I graduated and got a good paying job, better than she was paid, she said I should have to pay more than 50% of the bills because I was paid better. I should have said, sure, if you agree to help me pay for my college debt.

The very reason some of us do without or invest in ourselves in the beginning is so we could have a better life later. It's not to subsidize people who didn't. The typical hand out mentality of ignore what people went through to get where they are and want a piece of the pie when it's made.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:24 PM

17,624 posts, read 6,911,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Your sister has an amazingly low deductible as a result of signing up with Obamacare. Has she expressed gratitude or sympathy for those who don't?

Why are you calling working people deadbeats?
Blame my parents. They taught me to take care of myself and that dependency on the government was not noble or something to be proud of.

Obviously that line of thinking is going extinct as voters with a different mindset realize they can vote themselves other people's hard-earned money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies