Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2018, 07:33 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,456,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
The 'cruelty' is not unique. People all over the world are turning on supporting those that don't earn anything. Brexit, Sweden...people are sick of it. People are sick of tons of migrants coming in that they have to support.
There is another thread running about that very thing. //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...s-welfare.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 07:36 AM

21,952 posts, read 9,522,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
That poster doesn't understand that there are winners and losers under the ACA. He is a "winner" because he's happy with the big subsidy he gets. Others are "losers" because they have worthless insurance (gigantic deductible, high premiums) they can't use unless there is a catastrophic event.

I realize this ponzi scheme is not his doing, but it would be nice if the "winners" could acknowledge that there are in fact "losers" and maybe even show some gratitude or sympathy for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I get that other subsidy from my tax break, like most of you who get insurance through work. At least I understand I am getting a discount. I don't mind that other people get discounts too. I don't mind contributing to a system that helps people to access insurance. It isn't perfect, but we need a basic health care safety net.
Sounds like you are taking out, not contributing in.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:40 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
NEVER did I say she should suffer. But I know if I do something dumb like make babies with a raging alcoholic, I am going to suffer for it. That's just common sense. Why should society subside my dumb choices?
Why do we use Narcan to save addicts lives or give insulin to obese people who made bad choices?

If you want to live somewhere that is every man for himself, there are places in the world like this, go for it and make sure you bring some good firepower with you to hold off the warlords.

Trump is not giving you what you want because ACA is not repealed and as I have said, red states are starting to choose to expand Medicaid, there are only about thirteen states that have not. It was one part of Obamacare that was not mandatory due to Supreme court decision, yet states now see benefit of it.

Your way of thinking is old and regressive, and despite Trump and Brexit (more about immigration than anything) the concept a healthcare safety net for everyone is embraced by many conservatives as well. We are not going backwards on this but no one said it wouldn't be a bumpy ride.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:41 AM

2,362 posts, read 778,880 times
Quote:
Sounds like you are taking out, not contributing in.
You're acting out like there are pure contributors (billionaires, and multi-million elite tend to be the only one's who can say with a straight face they're contributors) and takers (homeless, extremely low income individuals).

You, who have a middle class income, contribute more to some programs and take more from others.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
What you said is absolutely incorrect. People back in the 60s paid far higher in taxes (marginal rate) than you do today: https://web.stanford.edu/class/polis...20Brackets.pdf

And what I wrote is that billionaires, and multimillionaires can be the only one's confident to say they're paying more taxes than they're using. You on the other hand (unless you're a multimillionaire etc) cannot say for sure that you're not using some government program more than you're paying into it.

You just don't like paying taxes, but get over it.
My taxes went up a huge amount with the ACA and now again with the Trump cuts.You remind me of my sister....always more than happy to give away money....as long as it's someone else's money.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Insurance from work is ACA compliant. Such as requiring free preventative check ups and allowing <26 on parent's plan and plan not having pre-existing conditions restrictions.
Quote:
You're acting out like there are pure contributors (billionaires, and multi-million elite tend to be the only one's who can say with a straight face they're contributors) and takers (homeless, extremely low income individuals).

You, who have a middle class income, contribute more to some programs and take more from others.
I don't know how you think you know my income?

Old 12-05-2018, 07:44 AM

2,362 posts, read 778,880 times
Quote:
My taxes went up a huge amount with the ACA and now again with the Trump cuts.You remind me of my sister....always more than happy to give away money....as long as it's someone else's money.
My my my my, the world doesn't revolve around you. Everyone pays taxes because it's our duty, not all of us whine about it. You don't pay a lot of taxes, trust me.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
My my my my, the world doesn't revolve around you. Everyone pays taxes because it's our duty, not all of us whine about it. You don't pay a lot of taxes, trust me.
I pay more taxes in a year than you make in 10.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:46 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,456,779 times
One thing I've noticed is people are just grazing over the fact that we pay so much due to the profit margin because we are a for-profit health system. It's not because we pay for what you call deadbeats, it's because we pay for large companies profit, all the way down to the nurses profit.

https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspe...can-healthcare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=43UMADE4uMA

Old 12-05-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
One thing I've noticed is people are just grazing over the fact that we pay so much due to the profit margin because we are a for-profit health system. It's not because we pay for what you call deadbeats, it's because we pay for large companies profit, all the way down to the nurses profit.

https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspe...can-healthcare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=43UMADE4uMA
What people like you fail to understand is that the USA subsidizes not only all these ACA recipients, but we subsidize other countries by way of our R&D and new drugs and procedures. If you take away the profit motive, do you think companies will still do all the R&D and develop new drugs? It costs a HUGE amount of $$ to bring a new drug to market in the US due to all the levels of clinical trials they have to go through. I have a friend who owns a company that does the trials and it takes years and many studies before they can even bring it to market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies