Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 10:08 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Trump’s Tax Cuts in effect: Apple to create $1 billion campus, create 20k jobs, return $250 billion in taxes
I don't know. Apple says they might do it, but not because of tax cuts, but because of tax HIKEs.

Apple might move iPhone production out of China if tariffs hit 25% – Bloomberg

https://9to5mac.com/2018/12/12/china-tariffs/

Apple is reportedly considering moving iPhone manufacturing out of China in the event that import tariffs go as high as 25%, reports Bloomberg.

Apple suppliers will consider shifting iPhone production away from China should tariffs on U.S. imports skyrocket, but the U.S. company plans to sit tight for now, people familiar with the company’s thinking said …

The tech giant’s suppliers intend to stick with the existing model even if the U.S. levies a 10 percent import tariff on smartphones, the people said, asking not to be identified talking about a private matter. But it will have to reassess the situation should U.S. President Donald Trump decide on a more punitive 25 percent, the people said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 10:10 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
A few things.

1. Change our settings so that you get more posts per page.

2. What Redzin said was correct, and you misunderstood it.

3. They already have offices in Austin. They are expanding them, and almost doubling the workforce there.

4. It's a good thing, Redzin is saying that. He's just pointing out that it'll mainly benefit Liberals.
I'm a she, but thanks, Sactown.

I guess someone needs to throw Trump a bone now and then.

I'm just not about to give him credit for much of anything except screwing stuff up. We all accidentally do something that ends up resulting in a net positive effect somewhere down the line, after all.

I think that the larger question, and one that this thread is attempting to deflect from (whether intentional or not) is WHERE are all the things his core wanted in terms of jobs? Because, I'm pretty sure that the vast majority are looking for manufacturing, clean coal, all that hoopla. He did not run on "I'll get Apple to give more jobs to high-paid developers and H1B visa holders" did he?

Old 12-13-2018, 10:11 AM

1,199 posts, read 639,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Uh huh..and what is it you are doing? Oh, thats right, proving the point completely..BY DOWNPLAYING TRUMP'S ROLE IN THIS.

Fascinating...
Please read better. I did not downplay Trump's role at any point. I simply pointed out that it was stupid to complain about how the liberal media will not give Trump credit... in a thread where the main article is an example of the liberal media giving Trump credit.

Everything else is just your own projection, because you can't function unless there's some liberal boogeyman to fight.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't know. Apple says they might do it, but not because of tax cuts, but because of tax HIKEs.

Apple might move iPhone production out of China if tariffs hit 25% – Bloomberg

https://9to5mac.com/2018/12/12/china-tariffs/

Apple is reportedly considering moving iPhone manufacturing out of China in the event that import tariffs go as high as 25%, reports Bloomberg.

Apple suppliers will consider shifting iPhone production away from China should tariffs on U.S. imports skyrocket, but the U.S. company plans to sit tight for now, people familiar with the company’s thinking said …

The tech giant’s suppliers intend to stick with the existing model even if the U.S. levies a 10 percent import tariff on smartphones, the people said, asking not to be identified talking about a private matter. But it will have to reassess the situation should U.S. President Donald Trump decide on a more punitive 25 percent, the people said.
Force Apple to produce these in a more expensive manner due to the tariffs, and you think people are complaining NOW about the costs of an iPhone?

LOL. Wait.

If Apple starts making less in revenue, to try to temporarily eat some costs and ride out the Trump admin for a more favorable admin, they will pay less taxes because they'll be earning less.

But, whatever, eh?

Old 12-13-2018, 10:13 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Trump already helped Apple lose 100 billion or more by his threats, chaos and economic policies.

But now he's going to give back to them....at some pie in the sky future?

Old 12-13-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
Please read better. I did not downplay Trump's role at any point. I simply pointed out that it was stupid to complain about how the liberal media will not give Trump credit... in a thread where the main article is an example of the liberal media giving Trump credit.

Everything else is just your own projection, because you can't function unless there's some liberal boogeyman to fight.
I often see places classed on this forum as the "liberal media" toss Trump some kudos here and there. I guess if they're not licking his golf cleats 24/7, they're all Trump bashers, eh?

Old 12-13-2018, 10:17 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Force Apple to produce these in a more expensive manner due to the tariffs, and you think people are complaining NOW about the costs of an iPhone?

LOL. Wait.

If Apple starts making less in revenue, to try to temporarily eat some costs and ride out the Trump admin for a more favorable admin, they will pay less taxes because they'll be earning less.

But, whatever, eh?
Well, they are using Trump's amnesty to bring some of their money in from overseas, and time will tell what they will do with that money. Expand, or buy back their own stock etc. Time will tell. They can always go back to China when the government pressure lessens in US, which is only a matter of time.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:21 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Oh, I take it as a very real plan. As you said - who knows what the future holds? Don't count your chickens before they're hatched, etc, etc.
Well, given the general low quality of journalism lately who knows but they used the present tense "building" for at least the Texas expansion so if they got it right (flip a coin) then at least that part has begun. The rest is clearly "planned" and we 100% agree that is always subject to change.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:24 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Well, they are using Trump's amnesty to bring some of their money in from overseas, and time will tell what they will do with that money. Expand, or buy back their own stock etc. Time will tell. They can always go back to China when the government pressure lessens in US, which is only a matter of time.
It would take YEARS for any quantity production of such devices to move to a new plant....and you can't just "go back" when the admin is over, as Foxconn and others have invested tens of billions of dollars in building out cities for millions of workers.

The supply chain is all over the world, but with an emphasis on Asia (Japan, Taiwan, China, Korea and others), so that adds to the difficulty. This has been checked and studied for many years.

Oh, by the way, the labor on an iphone is less than 10 bucks.....20 at the most if we pay more here. The PROFIT on an iphone to Apple is $200 to $600. The eco-system then (services, apps, accessories) per phone is quite high...for years.

But why do the uneducated masses concentrate on that $10 we are "missing"? Are they really looking to send their kids by the million to work on iPad production lines? Are young Americans hot to do this?

Heck, we can't fill the low end and low-mid skill jobs now.

I'd like someone to school me on a couple areas in the USA where you can get even 250,000 young workers to work in one complex....???

Old 12-13-2018, 10:24 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Just a point of order but people often cite "stock buyback" as if the money the company pays out to buy back stock is turned into cash and burned in a giant pile in the street.

What do you think an outfit like CALPERS or your 401k fund does when a company gives them cash via stock buy back? Well they turn around and invest it which makes your either/or statement about expand or buy back to not make much sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies