Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 10:19 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Was it really smart? Personally, I think she did him a favor, without him knowing it. Doesn’t almost every state of the union address start out by the president saying “The state of the union is STRONG.”

I think his state of the union address during a government shutdown would not go over with the public nearly as well as it will when the shutdown is over. He can claim that the national crisis is over, and claim credit for it. And all of his rhetoric about the strength of the nation will be more palatable.
So - yes. She was smart.

The state of our union it SHUT DOWN and it's ALREADY not going over well with the public. Trump is getting the majority of blame.

There is zero reason for him to be given any credence until this is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 10:19 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
He had money for his wall, though, didn't he? But he turned it down.
Yes and no. He never really had the $25 billion as people on the left like to say. Schumer took that off the table as quickly as he put it on.

BUT, he would have had something for the wall, and I think it was a mistake not to take what he could get at the time. With DACA on the table, it would have likely been a lot more than the $1.6B that the dems were originally offering.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:21 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
So - yes. She was smart.

The state of our union it SHUT DOWN and it's ALREADY not going over well with the public. Trump is getting the majority of blame.

There is zero reason for him to be given any credence until this is over.
I dont think so. I think if she was smart, she would have let him do the address during the shutdown, where many of his claims would have been seen as hypocritical.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:26 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Trump will be the first person since Osama bin Laden to ground all flights in the US.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:27 AM

943 posts, read 1,321,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I thought TSA was "theater security" anyway?
The big issue isn’t TSA. It’s ATC which is now experiencing shortages of personnel.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:28 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
That Insane women from California should not be allowed to restrict the State of the Union, with President Donald Trump.

President Donald Trump, is very important to 63 million people, who voted for him in 2016.

We want to know what our President has to say about the State of the Union.
Trump can present the State of the Union from anywhere. In the form of a letter, even.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:30 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,995 times
https://www.foxnews.com/travel/faa-h...control-report

This is not Fake News.

This shutdown affects all of us.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:32 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Pelosi was childish for stopping the State of the Union address.

Trump was childish for retaliating by canceling her trip.

It is a problem when we see either of these acts as rational adult behavior.

And now, another bad precedent is set. I wonder what you guys will say when a republican speaker does the same to a democratic president, for whatever reason they see as worthy.
The confrontation was inevitable - Trump has so far not had to acknowledge the idea of co-equal branches of government. And it had to be an object lesson - he knows very little, won't read and doesn't listen. This was visible and relatively low-stakes.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 01-25-2019 at 10:53 AM..

Old 01-25-2019, 10:36 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,121,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Physician, Heal Thyself.

How do you expect "lefties" to take you seriously in this matter when you yourself used the terms "Obammy" and "Peelosy"?
Please show where I used the word I bolded..

FWIW, your side does nothing but call names, makes fun of peoples looks, calls everyone that doesn't agree with you a racist, sexist etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:36 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Pelosi has tried to do him several favors.

She tried to get those reporters out of the room when they met to negotiate. Trump insisted on it and now there's that video clip of him claiming credit for the shutdown. It was all Schumer could do to keep from bursting out laughing.

She suggested he postpone his SOTU speech until the government was up and running. A smart move on his part would have been to agree that carrying on about how strong the state of the union could wait until after the shutdown. Instead he tried to bully his way in and she put a stop to that nonsense

She planned a trip to Afghanistan over the MLK holiday weekend. He could have used that to point out that she was on a junket while there was work to be done at home in DC. Instead, he cancelled the military flight, and leaked the details of the commercial flight.

The minute she was sworn in as Speaker, she saw that bills were passed to open the government. He could have gone along, been the bigger man, the hero here.

.Oh, but no.

She has tried to help him out of this mess, but he keeps insisting on behaving like a fool and a traitor
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies