Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 05:39 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, just want to get this right...your savior obama said, everyone would have insurance.....yet we don't...

Do you agree obama was also a liar?
Not my savior, and he didn't promise anyone they would get free stuff. Obamacare helps people pay for their premiums... it doesn't give it to them for free.

If you want free stuff, go vote Bernie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 06:36 PM

7,825 posts, read 4,568,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I'm not so sure that Trump would own the next shutdown as much as the first. It looks like he has indicated he would sign a bill for whatever border security $ he could get and then look elsewhere for more. If Congress can't get it together and present him with a bill, they they pretty much own the next one.
If (and there's no reason to expect otherwise) Trump offers the same platitudes as he did during the first shutdown, why would there be any expectations he won't be blamed just as he had the first time?

Is there any evidence that a 72 year old man desperately attempting to make good on nothing more than a campaign promise will suddenly become a beacon of enlightened and collaboration for all Americans?

ProTip: Get your personal gub'ment bidness done quickly while it's still there to do...

Old 02-10-2019, 06:47 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I'm not so sure that Trump would own the next shutdown as much as the first. It looks like he has indicated he would sign a bill for whatever border security $ he could get and then look elsewhere for more. If Congress can't get it together and present him with a bill, they they pretty much own the next one.
Trump is the only one who wants another shutdown. He could take his threat off the table. He could extend the deadline. He could tell the GOP he'll accept whatever they bring him. If he does none of those things, despite Congress's continuing attempts, yes, he will own it. And the country will absolutely put the blame squarely on him again, just like they did the last time.

Trump, and Trump alone, brought us to this point. Any shutdown going forward is all his.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:50 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Trump is the only one who wants another shutdown. He could take his threat off the table. He could extend the deadline. He could tell the GOP he'll accept whatever they bring him. If he does none of those things, despite Congress's continuing attempts, yes, he will own it. And the country will absolutely put the blame squarely on him again, just like they did the last time.

Trump, and Trump alone, brought us to this point. Any shutdown going forward is all his.
This is correct.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:09 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,666,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post

I'm certainly no fan of Trump. I think that he is a lousy President. And yeah, I agree that his actions got us to where we are now.

But the ball is now in the hands of Congress. He has indicated that he may sign a bill for whatever $ they would give him. But he can't sign a bill that doesn't come to him. So if Congress can't get their act together and work out a bill, they own the next shutdown just as much as Trump does. But if they do put a bill in front of him and he decides not to sign it, then it is all his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies