Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 10:38 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Are we going to hold all people to their exact word/words?
I think it depends on the exact words.

Promising something big and expensive is one thing. Promising that you're going to deliver that product by having Mexico pay for it is pretty big too.

It's not like he said: I'm going to build a border wall and, darn it, it's going to be BLUE.

Then the wall he delivers is yellow. That's a small thing that we aren't going to hold someone to.

Campaigning on how badly a wall is needed with half of that campaign promise (and riling up, you must admit) hinged on Mexico paying. That part of his statement was so audacious that he really did himself in and he SHOULD be held to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 10:38 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
No, there is not...people evolve...if the left can say that, why not the right?

It's not utter bull****....it's been proven to be effective, with the walls recently built since 2017. So there are idiots, but not the people that you are thinking about.
Trump's plan to have Mexico fund the wall is effective? That's news to me. I'm glad US citizens are off the hook for the cost of building a wall.

In any event, this isn't an instance where "people evolve". Evolution requires a change in position and, in this instance, introspection. When Trump comes out and says "I said Mexico would pay for the wall, but I was wrong. Mexico won't pay for it so I want US taxpayers to pay for it" then we can talk about an evolution. Instead, we get vague promises from him about how Mexico will still pay for it. Its sheer stupidity.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
It's been proven to work, you just disregard those facts because you don't like those facts.
How can a wall of unknown size and unknown material built in an unknown location have been proven to stop illegal immigrants from entering the US?

Old 01-31-2019, 10:51 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Trump's plan to have Mexico fund the wall is effective? That's news to me. I'm glad US citizens are off the hook for the cost of building a wall.

In any event, this isn't an instance where "people evolve". Evolution requires a change in position and, in this instance, introspection. When Trump comes out and says "I said Mexico would pay for the wall, but I was wrong. Mexico won't pay for it so I want US taxpayers to pay for it" then we can talk about an evolution. Instead, we get vague promises from him about how Mexico will still pay for it. Its sheer stupidity.

I did miss read....however, the walls that were built since 2017 have been proven to be effective....

So, you only evolve if you have a "D" next to your name...

Old 01-31-2019, 10:54 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
How can a wall of unknown size and unknown material built in an unknown location have been proven to stop illegal immigrants from entering the US?

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/12/12/walls-work

Quote:
The Bottom Line: Walls Work. When it comes to stopping drugs and illegal aliens from crossing our borders, border walls have proven to be extremely effective. Border security relies on a combination of border infrastructure, technology, personnel and partnerships with law enforcement at the state, local, tribal, and federal level. For example, when we installed a border wall in the Yuma Sector, we have seen border apprehensions decrease by 90 percent. In San Diego, we saw on Sunday that dilapidated, decades-old barriers are not sufficient for today’s threat and need to be removed so new – up to 30 foot wall sections can be completed.

Lets remember what I was responding to....I know you think ya "got me" but you don't...

Quote:
Nor any reason to believe it will even work, let alone work better than other options such as more high tech and more Border Patrol agents

Old 01-31-2019, 11:12 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
It's been proven to work, you just disregard those facts because you don't like those facts.
If walls work so well, explain how this happened:

Nearly 400 Migrants Tunnel Under Border Wall to Enter United States from Mexico

Old 01-31-2019, 11:22 AM

"Walls work" is a stupid, simplistic thought for low-information people. The question is whether the proposed wall in the proposed location is feasible, cost-effective, and the best way to deter illegal immigrants from entering the country. Saying "walls work" is no better than saying "human patrols work" and arguing that we should string border agents holding hands across the 2,000 mile Southern border.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:24 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
"Walls work" is a stupid, simplistic thought for low-information people. The question is whether the proposed wall in the proposed location is feasible, cost-effective, and the best way to deter illegal immigrants from entering the country. Saying "walls work" is no better than saying "human patrols work" and arguing that we should string border agents holding hands across the 2,000 mile Southern border.
Nailed it.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:56 AM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
One cares about the truth.
Whatever that means. You can't vote in US elections. It's like me complaining about how things are in Canada. I can't vote there. :shrug: Besides, you have a choice---you don't have to be a snowbird here. Considering how you have so many complaints about the US, perhaps another country would be more to your liking when it comes to wintering someplace

Old 01-31-2019, 12:03 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Where was that stated in the post you quoted?

Personally, I want all foreign aid to stop and that includes what goes to Israel.

Can you say the same?

Did you even read the post? The poster was complaining that there was yet no plan as to what the walls/barriers would be like. Then the poster said we shouldn't give money for that reason. I was making a comparison. Don't you get that?

I think we should stop giving money to banana republics with no idea as to what they will do with it. Yet we do so. In third world countries, that money ends up in the pockets of the corrupt oligarchy. So, it's money wasted. If we want to help countries, then help those who use the money wisely, no matter which countries.

If we are to give foreign aid---all countries that get it need to have a solid plan for that money.

Happy now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies