Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 09:57 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,344,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Democrats are playing for keeps here and Republicans know this.

Whether Trump does is anybody's guess.
Trump takes Pelosi comments like "immoral" and "no" and plays them to the press. The battle for public opinion is an art where Pelosi cannot go too far but just far enough to send a very strong message to - McConnell. They both are pros.

This forum fascinates. There continue to be these long impassioned discourses on some threads how this remains a Trump master plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 10:32 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
McConnell Warns Trump Off Emergency Tactic Amid Possible GOP Revolt

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has privately cautioned President Donald Trump not to declare a national emergency to build his southern border wall, The Washington Post reported Friday. He warned Trump that such a declaration might split the GOP and that Congress could pass a resolution opposing it, two Republican sources familiar with the conversation told the newspaper.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b00187b5511c84

I hope he tries it. Something has to finally shake the GOP out of its blind complacency here.
This is true, however, the President can veto that action, and then we need 2/3's to override the veto. I have no doubt that Congress has the votes to override the declaration, I'm not sure if the 2/3 votes are there.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:27 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,019,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
McConnell Warns Trump Off Emergency Tactic Amid Possible GOP Revolt

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has privately cautioned President Donald Trump not to declare a national emergency to build his southern border wall, The Washington Post reported Friday. He warned Trump that such a declaration might split the GOP and that Congress could pass a resolution opposing it, two Republican sources familiar with the conversation told the newspaper.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b00187b5511c84

I hope he tries it. Something has to finally shake the GOP out of its blind complacency here.
Pres. Trump has absolutely NO other choice, if the Dems refuse to come to terms for wall money. Otherwise he loses all hope of keeping his base, beyond maybe the extreme hardcore ones. But enough to likely sink re-election for sure, if there's any chance at all now, beyond something spectacular he pulls off before 2020.

So, I say he'll do it in that case. What happens then, we'll find out.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:47 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Pres. Trump has absolutely NO other choice, if the Dems refuse to come to terms for wall money. Otherwise he loses all hope of keeping his base, beyond maybe the extreme hardcore ones. But enough to likely sink re-election for sure, if there's any chance at all now, beyond something spectacular he pulls off before 2020.

He's put himself in a really stupid position. Damned if he does by his own party; damned if he doesn't by his ever-shrinking base. There is no way out for him that doesn't damn him with one side or the other, both of whom he needs if he wants to get reelected.

Stupid is as stupid does. Trump has shown how accurate that is in this whole self-created lose/lose situation.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:48 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:

And Trump should he shutdown the government again would likely also lose in 2020.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:

You may well be right. It gives him an out. There's a downside from using funds pulled from various accounts reachable under the National Emergencies Act. That probably won't immediately impact the public like the shutdown did. No one wants a disaster - EVER. To risk one (even something minor to be inflamed) prior to 2020 is a price to be paid.

McConnell's warned Trump the Senate could easily pass a disapproval resolution forcing a Trump veto.

He can't build substantial mileage in the Rio Grande without acquiring the land. The next Rio Grande project on the wish list is on the levee, which I guess either the Federal government (or State?) controls.

Cornyn's sure trying to shut the Wall down. Even Texans away from the border prize the concept of private property. Trump's proceeding against Congressional disapproval is really going to go over well (sarcasm).

That Texas may go blue in 2020 is already a possibility.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:01 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
You may well be right. It gives him an out. There's a downside from using funds pulled from various accounts reachable under the National Emergencies Act. That probably won't immediately impact the public like the shutdown did. No one wants a disaster - EVER. To risk one (even something minor to be inflamed) prior to 2020 is a price to be paid.

McConnell's warned Trump the Senate could easily pass a disapproval resolution forcing a Trump veto.

He can't build substantial mileage in the Rio Grande without acquiring the land. The next Rio Grande project on the wish list is on the levee, which I guess either the Federal government (or State?) controls.

Cornyn's sure trying to shut the Wall down. Even Texans away from the border prize the concept of private property. Trump's proceeding against Congressional disapproval is really going to go over well (sarcasm).

That Texas may go blue in 2020 is already a possibility.
Seizing land from private landowners would be a tough one to sell in Texas.

Seizing National Emergency funds would be a tough one to sell all over the country. I've already seen clips of Republican legislators opposing that.

As mentioned earlier, Trump is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Whichever direction he decides to go puts Republicans in a tough spot.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:11 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times
Quote:

Seizing National Emergency funds would be a tough one to sell all over the country. I've already seen clips of Republican legislators opposing that.

Trump's white whale is going to pull him under.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:13 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:

It puts Republicans in the spot of having to finally, at long last, stop cowering in the corner and stand up to him. Will they do it? Nothing in the near past indicates they have the guts for it, but one has to hope even for this spineless group there is a breaking point, right?

Or maybe not. Perhaps the GOP really has ceded the party to Trump. If they don't stand up to him here, they might as well just change the name to the Party of Trump and be done with it.

Spineless cowards, all.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:

Trump made some reference to taking the land under "military eminent domain." The pundit didn't know what he was talking about.

The spector of Trump sending out the military (maybe not literally, but per some "authority") not even turning to civil courts to seize land from Texans ??? Many of these are ranching families that have been on the border for generations. This with everyone - Senate Republicans as well as House Democrats - first telling him no.

Wow, that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies