Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 12:08 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,747,935 times

Advertisements

He lost but I'm looking forward to the epic twists, turns, and other gyrations the usual Trump cheerleaders here will go through to declare it a "win".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 12:08 PM

42,885 posts, read 26,482,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Trump really has screwed the pooch. We may well need additional sections of barriers. No argument that fencing (aka walls) are effective in urban areas and maybe some other sectors.

But nothing like this mythical version of The Wall (whatever the footage or design) that Trump sold, if only because of the downstream negative impacts on property owners etc. By attaching dogwhistle politics to what is functionally unworkable in some areas, he's helped embolden resistance to walling that would not otherwise be there. New House Democrats may well show some inflexibility, and "inflexibility" is never a plus. Trump's version or their version.

It's pretty clear that Senate Republicans are not going to allow for another shutdown. Murkowski is quoted in today's NYT saying that "And it's not just a few of us. There are a great many in our conference that feel pretty strongly."

Democrats no doubt will add funds for overall border security as their part in any future compromise. What will be interesting is whether or how they craft strings on physical barriers. Overdoing it would be a shame. But here, Trump is to blame. If you're going to be a demagogue then you better have the power to back it up.

This country is too democratic for that.
What's funny is that the "wall" was Roger Stone's Idea and coincidentally Roger Stone got arrested the same day that Trump signed a bill reopening the government with no money for his wall. Such sweet schadenfreude

Old 01-26-2019, 12:09 PM

29,600 posts, read 9,817,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
trump won the election - there's your one & only win.
That was no "win" far as most non-alt-right Americans were/are concerned...

Old 01-26-2019, 12:10 PM

63,279 posts, read 29,374,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
It's like asking a thief where he hid the gold that he stole. He will not tell us since the gold will make him rich after selling it. I think there should be an independent body who shows up randomly at businesses where these tax evadors work (hotels/country clubs, construction sites, farms, landscaping companies, meat processing plants, etc) and do a random check on ALL the workers. Right now, nobody checks.

Last Spring, I was on my lunch break and decided to get a sub so I headed to a Subway Restaurant. There, a guy by the name of Michael, made my sandwich but he could barely speak English so I had to use a translator. Several months later, I was attending a classmate's wedding @ a Country Club here in town. The SAME guy who made my sandwich @ the Subway was assigned to our section, except this time, his name says "Edward"! So I asked him "isn't your name Michael"? He recognized me immediately and headed to the back of the banquet hall and never saw him again that night. They had to assign a new server for our section.

They go to different businesses under different names but are highly desired by them since they work hard without asking for raises. If wages in those industries do not rise, wages in other industries won't rise either since everything starts @ the bottom. But I agree, since these workers blend very well, it's hard for the general public to know who is legal and who is not..

Well there's this. Trump re-instated the work place raids after Obama ended them. The GOP presented an e-verify bill awhile back but the Democrats voted it down and Trump has it in his 2019 budget.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:10 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,747,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The WAR is not over. The whiny federal employees without a paycheck won.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Right. What kind of people are these who complain they suddenly aren't getting their paycheck? The nerve!

The NERVE huh?

That's the mentality of today's conservative. They are so out of touch with the working man/woman it's becoming laughable.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:11 PM

29,600 posts, read 9,817,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Well, he came out with nothing more than when he went in. He also gave in on SOTU. Shutdown highly unpopular and blame is being put in him and Republicans. Hard to see how this is a win for Trump.
Simply put on your Trump glasses and then you will see what everyone else can't. With those Trump glasses, specially issued to Trump supporters it would seem, everything is a "big beautiful win." Takes years of something special to get those glasses though...

Old 01-26-2019, 12:12 PM

11,403 posts, read 4,108,207 times
Trump didn't just lose, he got his butt kicked.

A few weeks ago, Trump made it very clear that he would not reopen government until he got his wall funding.

And yesterday, he reopened the government without his wall funding, something he said he would not do.

Earlier last week, he ended a tweet saying "no cave!" Yesterday, he caved.

Nancy Pelosi has opened a can of whoop arse on ol' Donny.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:12 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,499,143 times
America and Americans lost. We've been losing for decades.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:13 PM

63,279 posts, read 29,374,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
I would not personally be opposed to providing funds to do a thorough study and design scope of a border "barrier." This is a study that would probably take some time to complete, but it would look at every inch of the border and determine what type of barrier works best in each location (cement, fence, electronic,etc). From there, once well studied, I'd have no issue with funding it's recommendations.
You don't think that congress did that already back in 2006 when the actual wall bill was passed?

Old 01-26-2019, 12:14 PM

8,519 posts, read 3,371,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What's funny is that the "wall" was Roger Stone's Idea and coincidentally Roger Stone got arrested the same day that Trump signed a bill reopening the government with no money for his wall. Such sweet schadenfreude
That's right! To keep Trump from rambling too much. Trump doesn't do complexity and the pictorial aspect of The Wall with the associated "invasion" were concepts he could sell.

Who woulda thought that border security could have turned out to be so complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies