Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 02:47 PM

1,874 posts, read 822,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
Let's get rid of the police and firefighters while we're at it. Don't need em according to the logic by these Trump bots.
they are paid by state and local taxes here comrade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 02:48 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,031,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Sorry about your plight. I hope the union prevails in court. Private sector employers could never get away with making people work without pay and neither should Trump.
The union filed a similar motion in the 2013 shutdown and did not prevail. We have been thru these in the past 20 years, but this year the fear is it will last a long time. Missing one paycheck....fine two ...well can deal with it.. beyond that the fear is real. I have a family and kids to think about. While I know it will be OK but just the worry is not fun. Thank you for your compassion....

Old 01-04-2019, 02:49 PM

1,874 posts, read 822,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
yes I am one of those essential employees who are working but not paid until shutdown ends. So for those casually saying keep it closed for weeks or months, who cares? I sure do, but that requires empathy for the other people.
has this happened to you before?

Old 01-04-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
yes I have been with the NWS since 1990.... so been thru quite a few. I have a family now with 3 boys so a bit more to worry about, other than just me. But the fear and worry to me and others at my place is not missing a pay check or two (paid every 2 weeks) but what if it goes into February. I dont think it will as the outcry from those not getting refund checks, and other things will be noticed. I am in the middle of the political world and have been hit by both sides.

What gets me is the idea that some people have in these forums is that it doesnt matter to them, so it doesnt matter how it impacts anyone else. Government can have is issues but let them talk and not tie it to whether an agency is funded or not.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:53 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,074,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I have to believe McConnell would not allow Trump to carry out this threat of keeping the shutdown for years though.
McConnell has allowed Trump to impose a veto over legislation
Which is unconstitutional--
The Constitution allows for legislation IF VETOED to be overruled by Congress by 2/3 vote of both Houses

Because McConnell is refusing to bring legislation before the Senate for a Senate vote--that might pass-and go to Trump for him to veto
McConnell is superceeding the Constitution to knuckle under to Trump and his infantile policies

You tell me WHY you think McConnell is willing to force Trump to veto a spending bill to end the shutdown that could be overridden by a 2/3 vote-as the Constitution provided for???

Old 01-04-2019, 02:55 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,314,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I have to believe McConnell would not allow Trump to carry out this threat of keeping the shutdown for years though.
Well, for moral reasons, probably he'd be fine with it. But he's already got 2 senators making noises (Collins and Gardner) and if enough others start worrying about their own re-election changes, he may have to reconsider once they get to enough people to override a veto.

Of course the embarrassment factor is already there, given that the Senate already passed these bills WORD FOR WORD unanimously before BabyTrump decided that the praise of the RWNJ talkshow hosts mattered more than anything else.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
If I recall from the 1996 one , the 21 day one, it was resolved as it was getting very close to when money for monthly social security would not be sent, as well as food stamps. That is a line I dont think anyone can pass....the uproar would be very great. But who knows this time....folks on BOTH sides are not exactly level headed..

Old 01-04-2019, 02:56 PM

17,838 posts, read 7,057,036 times
If the Democrats refuse to negotiate, then he should shut it down for months or years. We're talking about a paltry $5B. The same failed Democrats gave Obama $800B (400 times as much) for a failed stimulus.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:57 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,074,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
yes I have been with the NWS since 1990.... so been thru quite a few. I have a family now with 3 boys so a bit more to worry about, other than just me. But the fear and worry to me and others at my place is not missing a pay check or two (paid every 2 weeks) but what if it goes into February. I dont think it will as the outcry from those not getting refund checks, and other things will be noticed. I am in the middle of the political world and have been hit by both sides.

What gets me is the idea that some people have in these forums is that it doesnt matter to them, so it doesnt matter how it impacts anyone else. Government can have is issues but let them talk and not tie it to whether an agency is funded or not.
Why are you surprised to see what has been obvious about the GOP for a long time?
The GOP rarely is the party of empathy unless it is to the wealthy, the unborn, the religious right
When has the GOP ever really supported the rights of workers to have a safe workplace, a job with protections, a country where the worker is valued over the business owner???

The idea that Trump presents that Federal workers are all Democrats vs a mixture of parties and non-political may be just rhetoric---but it is rhetoric that plays to HIs version of the truth--not the real truth...

Old 01-04-2019, 02:59 PM

8,503 posts, read 4,600,716 times
TSA employees are calling in sick. Could really impact travel for everyone and ultimately bring pressure on Trump to end his shutdown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies