Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 07:46 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That's why we give preferential treatment to blacks when they apply to college, apply to grad school, apply for jobs, and apply for promotions. They are given advantages over whites, which BTW, of course come at the expense of whites who had nothing to do with Jim Crow.

If I were black, I would have zoomed right to the top of the companies I worked for.

If we were indeed given preferential treatment, our rates of unemployment and poverty would be below that of whites and our income would be above that of whites. Based upon the results, its obvious who has been getting preferential treatment....and who still gets it.

You might be able to point to a few examples where attempts are made to bring in blacks....true, but the preponderance of preference in a white dominated society goes to those favoring their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 07:47 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It sounds like she is trying to buy votes. Vote for me and I will get you reparations..

I think if there are any actual slaves still living they should receive some reparations but not their descendants that is ridiculous and where does it end?

Why are people always looking at the glass half full? Oh our ancestors were repressed. Your great great grandfather owned my great great grandfather.... I know it has nothing to do with you personally but hey you are white so it is your fault.... UGH.

Turn it around people and instead of looking back at how terrible your people had it 150 years ago how about marveling at how far you have come since then ?

Stop being victims and stop letting politicians pander to you.
Agree. And besides, my great-great-grandfather didn't own anyone's great-great-grandfather. My great-great-grandparents eked out a living in shetls, with some of my ancestors getting out of Europe prior to WWII. (Some didn't, and they were murdered.)

They came to this country 100 years ago, slaved away in sweatshops, and sacrificed to send their children to college. In the space of two generations, my family went from uneducated, dirt-poor immigrants to affluent professionals. Why should people like me pay for slavery that happened generations before we even arrived?

Old 01-04-2019, 07:49 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,475,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Give the slaves $ and they can pay those that fought or died to free them. Shes just a big fat ugly racist.
180,000 blacks served in the Civil War and if it wasn`t for racist whites there would have been more and they would`ve been involved years before they were actually allowed to fight for their own freedom. Now you know at least a little bit about the CW. You`re welcome.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:50 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
If we were indeed given preferential treatment, our rates of unemployment and poverty would be below that of whites and our income would be above that of whites. Based upon the results, its obvious who has been getting preferential treatment....and who still gets it.

You might be able to point to a few examples where attempts are made to bring in blacks....true, but the preponderance of preference in a white dominated society goes to those favoring their own.
So we have to keep giving preference to blacks until their incomes, employment status, and net worth equals that of whites?

Stop looking entirely outside of your own community for the answer to poverty and unemployment. Black people bear some of the responsibility too, don't you think?

Old 01-04-2019, 07:50 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,903 times
slavery was a widespread practice all over the globe that affected people of all colors. it still exists in some places, even africa. Thankfully most societies have evolved past it. It certainly isn't right by todays social norms but it wasn't necessarily wrong by the social norms of the time either. you have to take both into consideration. if you could go back in time and change it i'm not sure that I would. humans have to learn things the hard way sometimes. penalizing people today for something they had nothing to do with is patently absurd.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:53 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...ed-by-slavery/

How would reparations work?
If you pay the present generation to atone for the sins of the past, what about upcoming generations? Will they get a piece of the action as well? Is this a forever thing?

They crank up the base in the same way chants of "lock her up" and "Mexico will pay" do and much like those chants will also never be acted on. It's political theater, nothing more.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:59 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,835,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

You're confused. Equal opportunity does not equal, equal outcome. SMH.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:04 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
You're confused. Equal opportunity does not equal, equal outcome. SMH.
they are given preferential treatment

Old 01-04-2019, 08:17 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Reparations punishes innocent people in the present for what has been retroactively declared to be sinful behavior of the past. When slavery was happening in the United States, it was legal in virtually the entire world minus the UK, who had beat us to he abolitionist thing by a few years. Thus, nobody at the time it was being practiced was breaking a law as they knew and understood it at that time. Not making an excuse for the abominable practice throughout history, but the entire global culture at the time did not think much of the practice.

125 years later, yes, we find slavery to be pure anathema. Got it, right on. But reparations is a punishment in the form of a levied fine. So we would be punishing innocent people in the present, who down to the last man find slavery detestable and repugnant in every way, because of things that happened 125+ years ago that at the time were perfectly legal.

There's simply no getting around the simple fact that innocent individuals in the present will be punished because of collective sins of the past. You simply cannot make any proper moral or logical argument for this.

Also, the welfare state, rent seeking/avoidance and government plunder of citizens for the purpose of redistribution and social engineering has wreaked havoc on the black American community at large. Reparations merely dumps gasoline on a fire that is destroying only one thing - black people.

So not only are punishing innocents for the sins of a society that hasn't existed for over a century, you're doing it in order to further harm the group you claim to be helping.

In no possible way other than simple racial vengeance can reparations make any sense whatsoever.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:20 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,835,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
they are given preferential treatment

I know, there are many disgusting anti-white racist policies here in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies